SOLVED! Moshe thanks a ton for showing us the wiki article on the Magento Architecture. I just had to relax, sit back, and think about what’s going on. The problem was completely my fault…
I had NO reference at all to translate.phtml and translate.js in my MAIN.XML. I had removed them when I copied and pasted code from my old Default.xml! Once i put the correct blocks back in everything worked fine!
Whew! I swear Magento is helping me learn more & more about programming. I love it!
<block type="page/js_translate" name="js_translate" as="js_translate">
That’s what I was missing. An silly mistake, but I’m actually glad it happened. I’m understanding the structure more and more…