Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Mage_Core_Exception’ with message ‘Unable to find writable var_dir’

evanluke

Total Posts:  7

I got this error message after uploading magento to my root directory and attempting to access the /magento/install url.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Mage_Core_Exception’ with message ‘Unable to find writable var_dir’ in /home/lecpins/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config/Options.php:96 Stack trace: #0 /home/lecpins/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config/Options.php(33): Mage_Core_Model_Config_Options->getVarDir() #1 /home/lecpins/public_html/magento/app/Mage.php(182): Mage_Core_Model_Config_Options->getDir(’var’) #2 /home/lecpins/public_html/magento/app/Mage.php(563): Mage::getBaseDir(’var’) #3 /home/lecpins/public_html/magento/app/Mage.php(452): Mage::printException(Object(Mage_Core_Exception), ‘Unable to find ...’) #4 /home/lecpins/public_html/magento/index.php(40): Mage::run() #5 {main} thrown in /home/lecpins/public_html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config/Options.php on line 96

The steps I took to get here was to upload the entire unzipped magento directory and change the file permissions for magento/var/.htaccess, the directories magento/app/etc, magento/var, and all the directories under magento/media to 777.

I am in a shared hosting environment with the following specs:
Apache version 1.3.41 (Unix)
PHP version 5.2.6
MySQL version 4.1.22-standard

I am attempting to install full version 1.0.19870.1.

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Evan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jeepster74

Total Posts:  2

Same here. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,
Jeepster74

Magento Community
Magento Community

evanluke

Total Posts:  7

I got past this point by uploading magento files into the root directory instead of /magento/

Now I’m stuck at the configuration stage of the install wizard with the following error:
Path “/home/lecpins/public_html/var/session/sess_74bf001e915ada2c7ae72d2d7af24d3d” must be writable

I’ve tried to right click this file in SmartFTP and change the write permissions but I can get the changes to stick.

Magento Community
Magento Community

maxwell

Total Posts:  10

evanluke - 30 May 2008 11:55 AM

I got past this point by uploading magento files into the root directory instead of /magento/

Now I’m stuck at the configuration stage of the install wizard with the following error:
Path “/home/lecpins/public_html/var/session/sess_74bf001e915ada2c7ae72d2d7af24d3d” must be writable

I’ve tried to right click this file in SmartFTP and change the write permissions but I can get the changes to stick.

I have exactly the same problem, it says Path “/var/kunden/webs/magento/var/session/sess_e6c3e5d13954f071b741ad0d46158ee3” must be writable

But it IS writable (777 on /var/ , 777 on /var/session/ and 777 on the session itself ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

castus

Total Posts:  64

I have the same problem.

:(

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Hello All,

Please make sure that you have sufficient disc space and that you have uploaded all magento-downloader files before starting the install wizard.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sea4

Total Posts:  1

I had the same problem, when transferring store to new server.

what is did to get pass that point was to make var directory writable (777).

hope this helps! cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

lilquit

Total Posts:  23

support please, this freaking error is really pissing me off! WTF

Magento Community
Magento Community

Nyssanbekov

Total Posts:  2

sea4 - 16 November 2008 01:43 AM

I had the same problem, when transferring store to new server.

what is did to get pass that point was to make var directory writable (777).

hope this helps! cool smile

Thanks grin it helped

Magento Community
Magento Community

ibasket

Total Posts:  26
London

Yep, worked for me too. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community