Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

SET PRODUCT AS NEW NOT DISPLAYING

vijit

Total Posts:  4
Toronto / Colombo

I have set some of my products as new. Set From Date and To date Jan 1 /2008 - Dec 31/2008 and I just cannot get the New products to display on the right side of the home page or anywhere else. Everything like compare products, recently viewed display fine. I played around with new.phtml and just put some debug statements before the 1st if statement, the the debug statement did did not display. Then I actually added a block to the catalog.xml and now I see the DEBUG statement on the sidebar, but still no NEW PRODUCTS. I have checked the OS system date and it is in fact today. The date on the ADMIN header screen confirmed that it is today’s date.

My theme is a copy of the demo store default.

Magento version: 1.0
Server OS: Ubuntu 8.04 on VMWare Server
Client: Firefox on Mac OSX Leopard. Tried from Windows and same thing.

Help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ODB

Total Posts:  142
London

Turn on template hinting just to make sure the block is being detected.

I am having the same issue, no matter what I do I can’t get any ‘new’ or categorised products to show up on the homepage.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vijit

Toronto / Colombo

It is nice to know someone else has the problem, because there is nothing else reported on this.

By the way the exact version of Magento is 1.0.19870

I added the new.phtml to catalog.xml. After some debugging in new.phml it looks like

$this->getProductCollection()

returns a null object and skips the rest of the code.

Maybe there is a new mechanism for displaying new products in this version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

vijit

Toronto / Colombo

Never mind, I resolved it myself
in app/design/frontend/<interface>/<store>/layout
edit catalog.xml

Around line #52
change:
<reference name="right">
<block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
<block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
</reference>
to
<reference name="right">
<block type="catalog/product_new" name="home.catalog.product.new" alias="product_new" template="catalog/product/new.phtml"/>
<block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
<block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
</reference>

Keep the number of new items to maximum of 2. Otherwise you will have to change the default new.phtml to accomodate.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community