Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
php extension module pdo_mysql error

jled

Total Posts:  4

I tried installing but after some battle and finally getting the install to show properly I am now getting this error during install “PHP Extension “pdo_mysql” must be loaded”

Is there any work around to this? I contacted my hosting and they said the only way they could install this module would be for me to move to a dedicated server so I am hoping there’s another way than having to add the module to the entire server. Maybe there’s something similar to the php5-cgi workaround?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I don’t know how to help you, but I did run into the same error when I first tried to install it.  Since I have my own server, it was easy for me to enable it.  You’ll probably have to have your hosting companies cooperation to get that going.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jled

well this is what my host said:
“All our shared servers have common predefined php modules.
The “pdo_mysql” module can only be installed server wide with php. We do not usually change the PHP setting because it can effect whole domains hosted on the server.

If any of the customers need to have any custom php modules one of the option is to move to a vps plan which will provide you with many additional privilege of third party software installations and customizing the already running applications .”

he does mention it is one of the options so I am wandering what the other options are besides moving to a vps or a private server

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

You can try using mysqli only.

in app/code/core/Mage/Install/etc/install.xml remove line that contains <pdo_mysql/>

in app/etc/config.xml replace <type>pdo_mysql</type> with <type>mysqli</type>

retry install

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anand

Total Posts:  23

I’ve used this guide with success:
http://paradigma.pt/ja/slog/index.php/2006/10/pdo_mysql_ubuntu_error_fixed.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

jled

Anand - 07 October 2007 10:18 PM

I’ve used this guide with success:
http://paradigma.pt/ja/slog/index.php/2006/10/pdo_mysql_ubuntu_error_fixed.html

interesting, but I do not have ssh access in order to install this (I may have forgot to mention this before)
I am running cpanel as a reseller at the moment so I am quite limited to my options. I will try the mysqli trick mentioned and report back

also I was looking into cheap options for vps testing grounds and found vpslink.com to have a very tempting offer “Link 1” package only $8 for vps access so I may see this as a possible option, the thing is I may have to install all the required modules myself and I am some-what new to the unix system and ssh so if anyone can volunteer to help with the install I would appreciate it wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@jled: using your FTP client you can download the files, edit them and reupload to same locations

Magento Community
Magento Community

jled

sorry I meant to quote Anand. I did happen to try the mysqli, it let me go through most of the installation up until I had to enter https details and stuff but then when I submitted I got back a bunch of jiberish. Maybe my server is still missing a lot more of the requirements in order to run magento.

I am very tempted to go towards a vpslink vps package, anyone willing to lend me a hand with the setup to get the vps ready for magento?

BTW: what OS do you recommend that runs Magento the best?

Magento Community
Magento Community

beley

Total Posts:  15
LaGrange, GA

I have tried removing all the files and download the latest version (0.6.13160) and have changed the configuration files to use mysqli only (I do not have pdo_mysql and it’s not easily configured because I’m on a cPanel server and would have to go around cpanel to compile Apache manually)

Below is the output I get:

http://www.absolutetactical.com/output.txt

My server is running RHEL (or the white box version of it, CentOS I think), PHP Version 5.2.4

Below is my configure:
‘./configure’ ‘--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs’ ‘--prefix=/usr/local’ ‘--with-xml’ ‘--enable-bcmath’ ‘--enable-calendar’ ‘--with-curl’ ‘--enable-ftp’ ‘--with-gd’ ‘--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local’ ‘--with-png-dir=/usr’ ‘--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6’ ‘--with-gettext’ ‘--enable-mbstring’ ‘--enable-mbstr-enc-trans’ ‘--enable-mbregex’ ‘--with-mcrypt’ ‘--enable-magic-quotes’ ‘--with-mysqli’ ‘--with-mysql=/usr’ ‘--with-openssl’ ‘--enable-discard-path’ ‘--with-pear’ ‘--enable-sockets’ ‘--enable-track-vars’ ‘--with-ttf’ ‘--with-freetype-dir=/usr’ ‘--enable-gd-native-ttf’ ‘--with-zlib’

MySQL Version 4.1.22-standard

I have all of the requirements sans pdo_mysql for which I did the workaround. What’s wrong?

Magento Community
Magento Community

AntonioCS

Total Posts:  2

Why the heck do we have to use pdo?? Why not just the standard mysql or mysqli?? I tried your trick and removed the pdo from the xml, but when I try to access the database it just gives me the error.

I never used pdo and don’t really now how to set it up in my win machine. But if my host doesn’t have it I am screwed....
Why didn’t you guys think about supporting more than one way to access the database… basic stuff

Magento Community
Magento Community

SER

Total Posts:  3

Moshe - 07 October 2007 10:18 PM

in app/code/core/Mage/Install/etc/install.xml remove line that contains <pdo_mysql/>

retry install

Tried this and now in the database setup it says “mysqli extension is not installed”
whats next ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

umbilical

Total Posts:  22

retry install

wow when I try install magento say me “you need pdo_mysql” and I do that! I reemplace for mysqli and now works! wow! so its the same? magento works well without the pod_mysql ???

thanks!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

number25

Total Posts:  64

I have a few questions. In phpinfo() it says i have PDO mysqlite. is that the same as mysqli ? and second i tried to do the mysqli only but when I go into config.xml , doesnt even have a <type>pdo_mysql</type>

Magento Community
Magento Community

umbilical

Total Posts:  22

member25, I give you a wisdom word “install pdo_mysq” in your server and Iam sure that mangeto works!

I pass weeks try to dont user pdo_mysql and use mysqli and change things on code etc… etc… and I call to my server guy and they install pdo_mysql and magento works… dont waste more time.

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Saud

Total Posts:  20

retry install

I could see the installation page now with the database entries. but when I put the details of my MYSQL database I get errors.

Whats wrong, MG dosent work after that and I get database errors.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Saud

Total Posts:  20

MG administrators should do something for this problem otherwise only few people would be able to install MG. This is why OsCommerce is very popular because it is very easy to install and Lightning fast too, and minimum requirements.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3