Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

“Flat rate” shipping and “Free shipping” rules in promotions

Brad Landers

Total Posts:  11

We have a store that sells a variety of product types, including plays, merchandise, and tickets. All tickets are all distributed at “will call” on the night of the shows, and don’t require shipping fees. We’re using a flat $20 shipping fee for all orders, but this seems to negate the ability to use any “free shipping”. The desired result would be that the $20 shipping fee is only added if products of a certain type are in the cart.

Currently, I am trying to accomplish this using an inverse of that principle. I have shipping set to flat rate $20 per order. Flat rate is the only shipping method enabled. Then, I use a shopping cart price rule to give free shipping (which doesn’t work) for orders containing tickets. The trouble is, if a user has tickets and shows in their cart, they can still get free shipping on shows and merchandise. Using the conditions, there is no way to specify that a rule applies only if ALL items in a cart are of a certain type.

Any hints or suggestions?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SpringMountain

Total Posts:  20
Napa Valley, CA

i’m new at this myself, but try promotions>shopping cart price rules. there’s a load of tools in there to set shipping parameters, though i haven’t gotten through it successfully myself.

you could assign your tickets a really small weight (.001) and have free shipping for any product under 1?
i’m sure there’s a better way, webmaster forums tend to have a lot more content when it comes to figuring out your shipping criteria and here you will get answers to magento issues a lot quicker than non-magento questions.

http://www.webmasterworld.com/home.htm

http://www.cre8asiteforums.com/forums/

good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brad Landers

Total Posts:  11

I think your weight idea is spot on. We’re going to set up a separate store configuration for our merchandise, as I don’t think we’ll be able to cram it in to this model, but this will work for shows and tickets. Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community