Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Video Tutorials For Using, Editing, and Programming Magento

stevewar

Total Posts:  20

Hi everyone,

I installed Magneto on Saturday and quickly started running into many of the same issues as everyone else in this forum. While I have found many knowledgeable and helpful people, I still have had to spend a bunch of time figuring things out on my own. Fortunately for me, I am a quality assurance software engineer so tinkering around in code is something I am pretty good at doing. Also, I like being customer focused and have experience creating tutorials. So, as a user of Magento, I have started to create video tutorials covering topics which I have found frustrating.

The first tutorial is about how to turn on template path hints. WIth all of the great modularization the Magento development team has built in to Magento, I found figuring out what blocks turn on what feature, and which layout file they live in to be very confusing. The first step in clearing up that confusion was turning on template path hints. Here’s the link to the tutorial:

Text and Picture Tutorial

Video tutorial

If you have a request for a tutorial, please add a comment

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Administrator

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Looks great Steve!

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/template-path-hints-tutorial-video/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hobitnjak

Total Posts:  103
Sarajevo, Bosnia

stevewar - 25 May 2008 10:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I installed Magneto on Saturday and quickly started running into many of the same issues as everyone else in this forum. While I have found many knowledgeable and helpful people, I still have had to spend a bunch of time figuring things out on my own. Fortunately for me, I am a quality assurance software engineer so tinkering around in code is something I am pretty good at doing. Also, I like being customer focused and have experience creating tutorials. So, as a user of Magento, I have started to create video tutorials covering topics which I have found frustrating.

The first tutorial is about how to turn on template path hints. WIth all of the great modularization the Magento development team has built in to Magento, I found figuring out what blocks turn on what feature, and which layout file they live in to be very confusing. The first step in clearing up that confusion was turning on template path hints. Here’s the link to the tutorial:

Text and Picture Tutorial

Video tutorial

If you have a request for a tutorial, please add a comment

I believe one of the biggest mystery about Magento is still how to show some products on a home page. Is it possible to make some basics tutorial about this and to end this mystery smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

businesswoman

Total Posts:  11
Dallas, TX

THANKS STEVE - THAT WAS GREAT!  You have earned many jewels in your crown for this!
Sure look forward to a few more that you can come up with since I’m way behind you in learning all this - ever thought about being a teacher?  grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

businesswoman

Total Posts:  11
Dallas, TX

Steve,
Well I followed the instructions on your video and the little “hints” are now displayed.  However, my question is now - HOW DO I TURN THEM OFF?  I ask because I’m assuming that since I can see them, that anyone else looking at my website can see them too.  Therefore, it’s great to see these during the development, but what about when I’m finished?  I tried reversing the steps, but there’s still one hint showing at the top and I can’t get it to “hide” again.  So please HELP.  The red box that is still showing is frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml and now my menu items’ drop-down menus are blocked from view.
Thanks again.
Rita

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chantal

Total Posts:  68
Netherlands, Hellevoetsluis

Hi Rita,

I had the same problem. I think it’s a caching problem. An hour later they disappeared overhere…

Chantal

Magento Community
Magento Community

WisdOMbooks

Total Posts:  144
Kolkata (Calcutta) - INDIA

Thank you for the nice & simple tutorial.
ALL Magento newcomers (and, I’m sure, the veterans, too)…
do appreciate your contribution !

May I suggest you go with another easy & fast one
(what to speak of useful !) ?

The *Translate InLine* will help everybody
to adjust the front-end texts to one’s own taste & preferences.

See attached image for a *hint* wink

CIAO: A n g e l o

Image Attachments
SCRshot_02 2008-05-26 23.53.08.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevewar

businesswoman - 26 May 2008 08:48 AM

Steve,
Well I followed the instructions on your video and the little “hints” are now displayed.  However, my question is now - HOW DO I TURN THEM OFF?  I ask because I’m assuming that since I can see them, that anyone else looking at my website can see them too.  Therefore, it’s great to see these during the development, but what about when I’m finished?  I tried reversing the steps, but there’s still one hint showing at the top and I can’t get it to “hide” again.  So please HELP.  The red box that is still showing is frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml and now my menu items’ drop-down menus are blocked from view.
Thanks again.
Rita

This is most certainly a caching issue. That said, my next tutorial will be how to turn off caching while you are doing site development.

-Steve

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevewar

RoyRubin - 26 May 2008 06:56 AM

Looks great Steve!

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/template-path-hints-tutorial-video/

Thanks for posting on the blog!

-Steve

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevewar

I believe one of the biggest mystery about Magento is still how to show some products on a home page. Is it possible to make some basics tutorial about this and to end this mystery smile

It’s funny you mention that because I am still working on this myself. I can get new products to display, and I’m currently working on getting a 3x5 block of products (eventually featured products, and EEEEEEEEEEEventually featured products tailored for the logged in user) to show up on the home page. Once I figure it all out and can explain it simply, I will do that tutorial.

I just finished a tutorial on disabling system caching, and I’m working on a tutorial for getting the categories to display in the top navigation menu since I’ve got that figured out.

-Steve

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hobitnjak

Total Posts:  103
Sarajevo, Bosnia

stevewar - 26 May 2008 11:08 AM

It’s funny you mention that because I am still working on this myself. I can get new products to display, and I’m currently working on getting a 3x5 block of products (eventually featured products, and EEEEEEEEEEEventually featured products tailored for the logged in user) to show up on the home page. Once I figure it all out and can explain it simply, I will do that tutorial.

I just finished a tutorial on disabling system caching, and I’m working on a tutorial for getting the categories to display in the top navigation menu since I’ve got that figured out.

-Steve

Wow, that will be nice.

Nice work Steve, thank you wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Administrator

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Steve - I would recommend you start a wiki page (or even Magento Group) to organize all the videos/tutorials. Thanks again!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Luciano Higuchi

Total Posts:  4
Hamamatsu-shi

The video tutorial truly helps.

In my admin panel I don˙t see the option for template path hints. Why?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

I˙m using crucial web host with Magento One-Click Installer.

Image Attachments
template path hints missing.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevewar

Luciano Higuchi - 26 May 2008 06:01 PM

The video tutorial truly helps.

In my admin panel I don˙t see the option for template path hints. Why?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

I˙m using crucial web host with Magento One-Click Installer.

Make sure that you select “default store view” from the Current Configuration Scope box in the upper left hand corner.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stevewar

RoyRubin - 26 May 2008 01:39 PM

Steve - I would recommend you start a wiki page (or even Magento Group) to organize all the videos/tutorials. Thanks again!

Hehe, I didn’t even know i could do that. I’ll start a tutorials group so that everyone can contribute.

-Steve

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

Make sure you select your store view from the dropdown box of Current Configuration Scope.  That is the only way it will show.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2