Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 5
I changed the {{base url}} in the config and I can not revert it back

Noisy Shaun

Total Posts:  20

Thankyou to everyone who has contributed and posted a fix in this thread.

You have cured a morning of huge panic for me!
grin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

SDdeveloper

Total Posts:  8

I have made the suggested changes to my Base URL (secure and unsecure) in my database, but I am still having problems.

I can make it to the front-end of my store, but all links result in a 404 error. Also, I cannot access the store admin.

I have also cleared out the var/session folder and the var/cache folder.

Does anyone know why the store continues to not function?

Magento Community
Magento Community

SDdeveloper

Total Posts:  8

I have made the suggested changes to my Base URL (secure and unsecure) in my database, but I am still having problems.

I can make it to the front-end of my store, but all links result in a 404 error. Also, I cannot access the store admin.

I have also cleared out the var/session folder and the var/cache folder.

Does anyone know why the store continues to not function?

Here is my site: [url=http://www.laborlawposters4less.com/magento]http://www.laborlawposters4less.com/magento[/url]

Magento Community
Magento Community

aimrob

Total Posts:  12

Chiclops - 17 July 2008 10:00 AM

Thank you for your tip, Mich81.com!

I’ve done what you suggested, but it didn’t solve my problem.

I made a search in the database and my old URL was not found at all.

The problem? Cache!

If anybody is having the same problem, don’t forget to delete all of the files and folders from /var/cache!

That solved the problem completely!

Thank you for this comment!!!!  I have been racking my brain for hours trying to figure this out.  I can’t believe it was just the “cache!”

You are a lifesaver!  grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Martin Ashcroft

Total Posts:  17

Chiclops - 17 July 2008 10:00 AM

Thank you for your tip, Mich81.com!

The problem? Cache!

If anybody is having the same problem, don’t forget to delete all of the files and folders from /var/cache!

Thanks man, I had the same problem and that’s just fixed it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

WizOne Solutions

Total Posts:  1

I also had this issue - clearing /var/cache did it for me. I discovered it’s because I hadn’t yet configured the Base URLs in the Admin.

If I encountered this issue again, I would probably now need to check the database table.

So the solution depends on the configuration option.

Kevin

Magento Community
Magento Community

hypwoman

Total Posts:  9

That was very helpful!  Thanks! 

I just did this:

Under this table you have to find under the path column web/unsecure/base_url and edit the value column with the correct url {{base url}} or with the Url of your magento

And then this:

The problem? Cache!

And it’s all working again.

WHEW!

Magento Community
Magento Community

peterjaap

Total Posts:  28
Groningen, The Netherlands

If it still doesn’t work after reverting the database setting, that is probably due to a cache file. The fix is to delete everything in the ROOT/var/cache directory. This will erase the cached config files and rebuild them from the database, using your correct base_url.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbarkat

Total Posts:  15

Help!

The other day I upgraded hosting from MediaTemple’s GS service to their DV service.  I migrated the original database to the new server and copied over all Magento files to the new server.  The URL is the same and I made sure to change the database host name.  Now, when I got to access the Magento site the browser automatically downloads what seems to be the Magento license file. I’ve tried deleting all files in Var/Cache, updating the host name in app/etc/local.xml and making sure the base URL is correct in the database.  I’d greatly appreciate any guidance anyone can offer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbarkat

Help!

The other day I upgraded hosting from MediaTemple\’s GS service to their DV service.  I migrated the original database to the new server and copied over all Magento files to the new server.  The URL is the same and I made sure to change the database host name.  Now, when I got to access the Magento site the browser automatically downloads what seems to be the Magento license file. I\’ve tried deleting all files in Var/Cache, updating the host name in app/etc/local.xml and making sure the base URL is correct in the database.  I\’d greatly appreciate any guidance anyone can offer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zaminx

Total Posts:  1

1. Hi guys, I’m new in magento, and having the same problem on {{base_URL}}, i tried change this

UPDATE core_config_data SET value = ‘web/secure/base_url’ WHERE value = ‘web/unsecure/base_url’

on phpmyadmin underneath SQL but its doesn’t change anything plus on my dashboard this error displayed --> cache_dir must be a directory,

Please somebody help me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

globing

hi all..

for those who are providing solutions many thanks but i have a real bugger.

as i had access to my admin i set the secure and unsecure url to how it should be. but i did something stupid.

my mistake:
i changed the base url back into {{unsecure_base_url}} and i didn’t change the secure base url that one was still standing on i.e: https://www.mydomain.com/ and i clicked on the save button.

GONE! my shop and admin.

my try:
i did some search… i changed the value of the base url within the database manually.
as it says now http://www.mydomain.com/
but i noticed the secure url that i left untouched like in the above text was not visible in my database. is this normal?

after changing the values and flushing the var/cache i’m still not able to log in and see my shop.

can anybody help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ehlersclothing

Total Posts:  6

I no nothing about DBs and I fixed it!! thanks guys!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kavi

Total Posts:  3

Thanks Guys! Its working perfectly!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cbydesign

Total Posts:  34

I have the same problem. How do you clear / delete the var/cache files in the PhPAdmin?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 5