Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

how do i cut out features? 

mda

Total Posts:  5

I want to eliminate:
- store search
- comparison
- wishlist
- newsletter subscription
- polls
- whatever that “back to school” promo thing is

I’d also like to do some basic customization of colors, fonts, and and background images.
I can probably figure out the latter from making iterative guesses in
skin/frontend/default/default/css/
but if there is no straightforward way to eliminate features then I’m afraid i’ll just
have to bail on magento for now.

This is such a fundamental question I’m surprised there is no mention of this in the docs?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

bschmalz

Total Posts:  16
Colorado Springs

Magento as well as the documentation are both work in progress.

Most of the layout is controlled with the css, some xml files and some phtml files.

For the back to school thing you want to edit the /app/design/frontend/default/default/template/callouts/right_col.phtml and/or the /skin/frontend/default/default/images/media/col_right_callout.jpg

I want to eliminate:
- store search
- comparison
- wishlist
- newsletter subscription
- polls
- whatever that “back to school” promo thing is

I have not disabled any of those items but in the admin pannel there are settings for turning off most of those items. The rest of them will require you to edit various phtml pages located througout the store to disable them.

Also I think the Wiki is broken somewhat at the moment.  Some posts that would be helpful for you are missing in action.

One forum post that might be helpful to you would be http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/215/

Good Luck
Brian

Magento Community
Magento Community

mda

Total Posts:  5

Sadly the admin UI apparently only supports disabling of:
- usage tracking via Google
- wishlist
Except in the wishlist case, the disablement doesn’t even work, an apparently known bug.

So it seems I am reduced to template hacking hell, just like every other php
ecommerce package I’ve ever tried....

As for http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/215/
yes, I found that too, but it seems to be more a tutorial in reverse engineering,
which sad to say seems to be necessary for even the most basic customization
right now.

I’m rather disappointed that these basic features (and documenting them) seem
to be taking a lower priority than implementing ever more features, such as
greeting cards and gift registries and so on—additional features which will
make this customization pain even more pronounced.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

Ron!
I wholeheartedly agree. Magento has a special place in my heart, I only ask that anyone that is new to the package to just take the time to learn it. Sure.. its not a complete package yet.. but even this preview version is lightyears ahead of any other e-commerce solution.

@mda… please just take an hour or two and comb through the .phtml files.  THe new main.xml file will easlily solve your problem with removing the callouts and the other .phtmls files will do the rest.

Trust me… Magento is what you need.

Have fun!

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

i would have to agree with the OP on a certain level. my one gripe with magento is that it seems to be trying to do way too much. hacking out superfluous ‘features’ would probably mean a nightmare to upgrade. maybe i just haven’t gotten it into my head yet that magento is aiming for an enterprise-level solution and thus probably needs to pack in a wallop.

i agree that the tutorial/wiki entries so far are more in the vein of reverse engineering that it is to actually customize. i’d rather add features i need on my own rather than needing to hack out things i don’t. and the fact that the demo/light versions of magento for some reason need to include 7 javascript files (along with a bunch of inline js as well. i also prefer jquery over the included proto/taculous! if i switch, how much work am i looking at to gain regular functionality? eck) is a little discerning.

i personally like tradingeye.com ‘s minimal approach much better. their demo at http://www.tradingeye-demo.com/ is plain (with very decent,clean displays throughout their css style switcher) and doesn’t force you to have to cut out and work backwards. at the same time, if you go through their docs, they follow a modern mvc approach as well. too bad their license costs an arm for a student like me but i lavish the day an open source solution similar to their setup is released. i think thats the type of e-commerce solution every day people *really* need. right now im expecting magento to fall into the wordpress world of everyone using default templates with minor changes simply because it will be too complicated for *most* people to actually alter minus a few navigation/header/footer changes (which so far has resulted in less than spectacular results as seen in the showoff forum).

http://ocbutcher.igentics.com/ is the only magento template i’ve seen so far that is keeping my faith here! the rest of the header/footer switcheroo attempts honestly make magento look cheap :(

of course, everything is still in such early stages and i’d be lying if i said i wasn’t checking this place constantly for new updates and the like. its exciting!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dane

Total Posts:  3

Can’t you disable most of those items in Advanced Configuration?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Total Posts:  76
UK

^^^^^

mda - 06 October 2007 06:34 PM

Sadly the admin UI apparently only supports disabling of:
- usage tracking via Google
- wishlist
Except in the wishlist case, the disablement doesn’t even work, an apparently known bug.

wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community