Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 7
Cannot Login to Frontend or Backend

mmallory

Total Posts:  2

I cannot login to the Frontend or Backend on any PC running Windows XP
Service Pack 2 that has Internet Explorer 7 loaded on it. This seems to be
the common configuration when this problem happens. Other browsers like
Firefox and Netscape display the same behavior on these systems. I have
tried 2 PCs and both have this problem.

The behavior follows:
- Login screens appear normal.
- Enter the valid account information.
- The login screen is refreshed and you are not taken to the proper screen.
- If you enter incorrect login information the message “Access Denied” is returned.

Based on the above described behavior it would appear that the login authentication
is working properly however the login process isn’t completed.

I have tested the login process for both the Frontend and Backend on 2 PCs running
Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Internet Explorer 6 installed and they both work fine.

I believe that there should be a fix for this within Magento. Has anyone solved this?

Thanks,

Mark

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ouelletjon

Total Posts:  7

I’m getting the exact same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution? I urgently need to fix this problem!

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fibo

Total Posts:  107
Marseille, France

ouelletjon - 02 July 2008 11:34 PM

I’m getting the exact same problem. Has anyone come up with a solution? I urgently need to fix this problem!

Same for me.
Any idea someone?

Thx

Magento Community
Magento Community

rgiezen

Total Posts:  13
Amsterdam

I have same with latest version. Hope this can be fixed

Magento Community
Magento Community

kyoujin

Total Posts:  1

I have the same issue....

Already tried reinstalling the whole thing and rebuilding database from scratch.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rgiezen

Total Posts:  13
Amsterdam

I restalled everything including sample db before install script and that works fine. Problem is that it is diffiult to work in 2 environments. One for development in my case on a MAC using MAMP and the other production which is Debian Linux.

But great product!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ouelletjon

Ok,

The problem has persisted. Would you please be able to explain to me in more detail what you did to fix this and what exactly the problem is?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ouelletjon

Anyone??? I need this done ASAP so that I can start selling on my store.

Thanks,

Jon.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fibo

Total Posts:  107
Marseille, France

Since my project is currently in the development phase, I have personally switched to Firefox all uses and connection, hoping that this problem will be solved. But I am quite puzzled that nobody in the development team seems to care about the problem we expose here.
Either this is a solved problem… and we would certainly be happy to know how
Or it is still a running problem.. and we would like to know, as well as an estimate for an operating solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ekris

Total Posts:  8

Same problem here. I see the login enter the correct account information nothing happens.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ouelletjon

I’ve been waiting for a response for 3 weeks. If I don’t get one then I might be forced to switch solutions :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Please make sure that the timezone you set for Magento is the right timezone of the server.
The problems described above might happen if it is set wrong, as it causes cookie expiration date to be in the past - cookies are always expired.
You can also try to increase Cookie Lifetime setting in Magento configuration (System -> Web -> Session Cookie Management section). 86400 should be enough to override any wrong timezone shifts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ekris

Total Posts:  8

Michael - 25 July 2008 01:01 PM

Please make sure that the timezone you set for Magento is the right timezone of the server.
The problems described above might happen if it is set wrong, as it causes cookie expiration date to be in the past - cookies are always expired.
You can also try to increase Cookie Lifetime setting in Magento configuration (System -> Web -> Session Cookie Management section). 86400 should be enough to override any wrong timezone shifts.

We can’t get into the configuration we can’t login. How can we fix this by another route?

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I have the same problem, although only on the backend.  I did a fresh install of 1.1.1 and I was in the middle of setting everything up when I was kicked out.  I can sometimes log in, but as soon as I click on any link anywhere in admin, I get kicked right back out.  Logging in again will take me to the page I originally tried to get to, and then I will be kicked out again without clicking anything.  It’s very strange.  I don’t think it’s a timezone problem for me.  Time zone is correctly set to ‘America/Los_Angeles’.  I can’t stay in admin long enough to change any values there, so I did it directly in the database.  In the ‘core_config_data’ table, I changed ‘web/cookie/cookie_lifetime’ to 86400.  I also cleared the var/cache folder.  That didn’t help.  This all happens regardless of computer or browser.  I’ve tried it on IE 6 and 7, FF 2 and 3, Opera 9.5, and on 3 different computers.  I have it running on a dedicated server with Windows Server 2003 and I’ve never had this problem with any other version of Magento.  I previously had 1.0 running on this server without trouble.  This is not a live website yet as I’m still testing and trying to get everything set up, but it is on a real domain name.  I mention that because I found another thread where people were having cookie problems when the domain was localhost.  That is not the case for me.

I checked my cookies and I have 3 from Magento.  They are as follows:

Name: adminhtml
Expires: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:08:13 GMT

Name: frontend
Expires: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:15:58 GMT

Name: magento
Expires: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:39:28 GMT

The current time in the same format would be Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:35:00 GMT

Hopefully this can be resolved because I can’t use Magento if I can’t even log in.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ouelletjon

i960: for me it solved the problem. I also had to update the server’s system time to the correct timezone based on it’s location (not your location). I also set the magento timezone to the same timezone as the server and it fixed everything. So try both and see where this brings you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

ouelletjon - 29 July 2008 09:05 AM

i960: for me it solved the problem. I also had to update the server’s system time to the correct timezone based on it’s location (not your location). I also set the magento timezone to the same timezone as the server and it fixed everything. So try both and see where this brings you.

Timezone settings are correct on the server and in Magento.  The server is located in Los Angeles, CA.  I am located in Bakersfield, about 100 miles north from there.  On both my computer and on the server, the timezone is set to (GMT -08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada).  In Magento I have it set to Pacific (America/Los_Angeles).  I verified that the date and time are correct on the server.

I also have a local Ubuntu server here I use for development and testing.  I am going to install Magento on that and see if I experience the problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 7