Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it possible for a newbie to get up and running quickly

dnk2007

Total Posts:  1

Hi
im new to magento but hoping to use it.  Is it possible to get a magento store up and running quickly, i have no code writing experience but wish to host my own store, am i likely to be able to create anything that may look acceptable

any views however brief, or even with examples of your store, would be greatly appreciated

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JmDijkshoorn

Total Posts:  14

I found a user guide which helped me out quite a bit.
I hope you have some standard knowledge with FTP-servers.

A company asked me to look at the possibilities of switching from one program to this one.
with no idea what magento was, I did my best and It’s do-able, if you have certain standard knowledge.

http://info.magento.com/rs/magentocommerce/images/Magento_Community_Edition_1.8_User_Guide.pdf?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRolu6rAZKXonjHpfsX57eUkWaW/gYkz2EFye+LIHETpodcMT8JkNq+TFAwTG5toziV8R7PMK81lwtoQUxbl

I hope this link works for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Christinale

Total Posts:  88

Hi, if you want to use magento platform, I highly recommend you visiting Magento Blog. There are alot of free magento tutorials lessons for your.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cardkid2331

Total Posts:  11

I knew html & css code before getting into Magento.  I had also created stores on Yahoo, Bigcommerce, and Shopify.  That said, Magento is a beast.  It uses several types of code, you have to deal with server settings, and there is no support.  Unless you have tons of time, and someone to provide you with support when you need it, it may be a little tough.  I had tons of time and I don’t mind learning it all from scratch.  I’ve made huge mistakes, had to fix them, but I have the hang of it now.  Google is your friend when you have an issue.

That said, if you have money then you can pay someone to do it all for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

This is how it works, CE is designed for stores with revenue of $200,000 to $2million per year, 5% of the revenue is IT budget, consulting and platform make up 50% of that - or 2.5% of revenue. So at $200,000 revenue you are looking at an implemention cost of $5,000, if you do it yourself you will spend that much in time. Most service providers will spend a couple of months implementing a CE site to justify the cost of 100-200hrs of time, the reality is that if it take more than a few weeks you lose the value of CE.

EE is the next level at $2-10million revenue and should take a month or two, Hybris is $10-50million revenue and a base install will take 4-6mths. The key to all this is that you want to use as few extensions as possible, a high quality off the shelf theme, and as little code as possible and just get the site up and running. The rest you can play around on a dev install, the code base takes a long time to understand but at least you would have a live site running, which is the most important. If you are looking at under $100,000 revenue WooCommerce or Prestashop have much smaller learning curves. Make sure you find a decent Magento optimised host, SimpleHelix or Crucial are good starting points.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community