Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Editing billing and shipping addresses individually

rfresh

Total Posts:  5

I have question regarding a proposed change we are considering to the way a *new* customer account works with regards to their billing and shipping address. When a new account is created, the one form the user fills in for their address goes towards *both* their billing and shipping address.

When they attempt to edit billing, shipping gets changed. If they edit shipping, billing gets changed. Our customer support team gets phone calls on this quite a bit.

I am proposing to modify how this works so that editing the billing address changes only billing and editing shipping address changes only shipping. However, we have been told if we do that, it will make it easier for fraud. I don’t understand how since, by default, one can Add A New Address and assign it to shipping, so why not allow them to just make an edit change to shipping and not have it change billing?

Maybe there is more going on here than I realize?

Thanks for any help…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Monty_iLM
Guru

Total Posts:  450

Hello ,

You can have a look this thread https://www.ordoro.com/support/how-do-i-edit-the-shipping-or-billing-address-on-an-order/

Hope this will help you!!

Thanks

Monty

iLoveMage

Magento Community
Magento Community

rfresh

Thanks Monty but the billing and shipping address changes I\’m referring to are done on the front end of our company website by our customers. To re-cap, currently the behavior of Magento is that when they edit their billing address both the billing and shipping addresses are changed in Magento. If they edit shipping, the billing address is also changed.

We want to change the way Magento handles these edits on the back end such that billing edits only affect billing and shipping edits only affect shipping. But one of our developers is telling us this change will invite fraud. I don\’t understand how this proposed change is any different than a customer clicking on the Add New Address link and adding a third address which they can then assign as their shipping address if they wish. However, I am talking about our customers just using the default two addresses: billing and shipping and not creating any additional addresses.

What increased fraud could happen simply by allowing our customers to edit billing and shipping addresses *individually*? I maintain fraud will NOT be increased. I think what our developer is trying to say is that, by default, both of these addresses are the same starting out. This increases the security when a charge is made. However, ANYTIME the shipping address is changed, I acknowledge that can decrease the security BUT our customers can already change their shipping address IF they know to create a third address that can then be assigned as their shipping address. So, I go back to my statement, there is no security differences that I can see in making this proposed change. We do not force our customers to have the same billing and shipping addresses. And there are good reasons for that such as when they want to use a gift card to make a purchase for example.

The proposed change will eliminate the confusion our customers are currently experiencing when they log into their account on our website and edit their billing address not realizing that the shipping address will change too. Then they end up calling our support desk asking why did my order get shipped somewhere else?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mage Solution

Total Posts:  179

You also simplify the process of shipping and the default checkout with our extension.
Please look at this for more references !

Magento Community
Magento Community

rfresh

@Madge

Your response doesn’t address my question at all. Totally unrelated.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community