Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Invisible Gadget Guard Site Launched 5/21/2008

JesseStewart

Total Posts:  82
Salt Lake City, Utah

http://www.GadgetGuard.com

“Jesse Stewart Creative has been there from start to finish, creating our business identity, developing our online store, in addition to developing marketing tools to ensure our long term success in our retail and wholesale divisions.” - Justin Drage, President, CEO

Invisible Gadget Guard released their new Magento eCommerce store designed by Jesse Stewart Creative.

Invisible Gadget Guard’s primary focus is assisting customer’s needs of better protecting their electronic gadgets from damage. Our management team has well over 20 years experience in the Wireless Industry and understands the need for a product that will withstand the daily abuse that our gadgets are subjected to.

“Invisible Gadget Guard had big hopes when we decided to launch a business assisting an under-served market segment of customers that wish to protect their electronic investments from damage. With wide eyes, we aimed to launch a series of in person retail stores, a wholesale division, and an online store, within a matter of months.” - Justin Drage

“Competing in today’s online marketplace requires robust knowledge in graphics design, xHTML, CSS, SQL, as well as PHP.” Said Justin Drage of Gadget Guard. “It is rare that you are able to find one company that can guide you through all of those aspects to create a unique eCommerce business.”

http://www.GadgetGuard.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

karynn

Total Posts:  70

Nice work!

May I assume you are open to suggestions/feedback?

Just a couple nits:
- while *we* all know you are using magento, everyone else will too since you have it installed in the /magento directory. Not sure how hard it would be to change it to something more generic or even the root directory. I’m just thinking it may be a potential security risk (??).
- the favicon.ico switches from Magento to your custom favicon (when viewing in IE7). You may want to overwrite all instances of the favicon with your custom one to avoid that.
- the Advanced Search includes Tax Class as one of the search options (which seems odd), but doesn’t include things such as category to narrow down by gadget type, for instance.

Congratulations on going live!

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

I like it very much!

I would suggest to link every picture on the main site to a sellable product, or to a page with more information.

For example, the “Free Shipping” graphics to a page that explains in more detail how fantastic your shipping service is! grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Beautiful store, Jesse. Definitely one of my top 3 favorites smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

doctorlogos

Total Posts:  178

Jesse, your design is great!

As karynn said, I also would change the url and I would delete /magento/index.php

Anyway, your good work!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

doctorlogos - 23 May 2008 11:32 PM

As karynn said, I also would change the url and I would delete /magento/index.php

Oh yeah, I didn’t even notice that until you guys pointed it out. I agree though, you should take magento/index.php out of the URL. Will make things look a little better and shorten the URLs up a bit smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

radders

Total Posts:  162

Nice looking but you should do something about the certificate errors.  Firefox says ‘Website certified by an unknown authority’ on every page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

Thank you for all the feedback. Great advice.

BTW - GadgetGuard.com is hosted at Crucial and runs very smoothly. I definitely recommend them to everyone wanting affordable hosting for magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

radders - 26 May 2008 12:20 AM

Nice looking but you should do something about the certificate errors.  Firefox says ‘Website certified by an unknown authority’ on every page.

If anyone else could test this for me, I would appreciate it very much. It seems to be working fine on my end. Thank you.

http://shup.com/Shup/42909/10842692025-Certificate-Viewergadgetguard.com.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

I have verified that this certificate is valid and installed properly.

I believe the problem is due to the fact that your browser doesn’t recognize GoDaddys SSL Authority.  I’ve tested this in FF & IE havent seen the issue myself. 

I did receive the following from Opera -

- The certificate for “gadgetguard.com” is signed by the unknown Certificate Authority “Go Daddy Secure Certification Authority”. It is not possible to verify that this is a valid certificate

I also received the same error after upgrading to the latest version of Opera.

You can view the Godaddy certificate chain at the following URL; https://certs.godaddy.com/Repository.go

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

Crucial Web Host - 26 May 2008 07:09 AM

I have verified that this certificate is valid and installed properly.

I believe the problem is due to the fact that your browser doesn’t recognize GoDaddys SSL Authority.  I’ve tested this in FF & IE havent seen the issue myself. 

I did receive the following from Opera -

- The certificate for “gadgetguard.com” is signed by the unknown Certificate Authority “Go Daddy Secure Certification Authority”. It is not possible to verify that this is a valid certificate

I also received the same error after upgrading to the latest version of Opera.

You can view the Godaddy certificate chain at the following URL; https://certs.godaddy.com/Repository.go

very helpful, thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

I don’t get any errors in Opera 9.5b (probably because GoDaddy Secure Certificatoin Authority is already in my list of intermediate cert authorities), Safari, or Internet Explorer 7/8, but did in Firefox (a giant box popped up).

What I didn’t get in Opera, Safari, and Firefox, was a secure lock icon. In Internet Explorer I did.

Here’s what I get when I look at the information for the page (in Opera):

Site not secure

The connection to http://www.gadgetguard.com is not secure, and should not be used to exchange sensitive information.

The following problem(s) were found:

Online certificate validation (OCSP) request failed.

When the SSL was ordered, was it made out to gadgetguard.com or www.gadgetguard.com? Definitely not something you want popping up on the page.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

Crucial - 26 May 2008 08:54 AM

I don’t get any errors in Opera 9.5b (probably because GoDaddy Secure Certificatoin Authority is already in my list of intermediate cert authorities), Safari, or Internet Explorer 7/8, but did in Firefox (a giant box popped up).

What I didn’t get in Opera, Safari, and Firefox, was a secure lock icon. In Internet Explorer I did.

Here’s what I get when I look at the information for the page (in Opera):

Site not secure

The connection to http://www.gadgetguard.com is not secure, and should not be used to exchange sensitive information.

The following problem(s) were found:

Online certificate validation (OCSP) request failed.

When the SSL was ordered, was it made out to gadgetguard.com or www.gadgetguard.com? Definitely not something you want popping up on the page.

Hope this helps.

Godaddy is saying that the intermediate file were not installed correctly. I asked them if it had to do with the “www”, but they assured me that records were created for both.

Magento Community
Magento Community

stacelynn

Total Posts:  7

I get the warning on FF/mac - and I use Godaddy SSL on other sites, they’ve always told me I needed to buy two certificates - for the www and non-www.

I have my sites set up to always redirect to the www to avoid that same error message.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

stacelynn - 26 May 2008 11:21 AM

I get the warning on FF/mac - and I use Godaddy SSL on other sites, they’ve always told me I needed to buy two certificates - for the www and non-www

Quite the sales pitch/scam they have.

You don’t need to buy two for domain-only certs, especially when you said you redirect to the WWW version anyways.

The first thing all sites should do is decide if they want the WWW prefix on their domain or not. Once they figure that out, they should redict all visitors (and more importantly, search engines) to the domain you want to use. Otherwise, if your site comes up with the WWW and without it, you’ll have search engine result listings for both, possibly resulting in duplicate content.

For anyone that wants to force visitors one way or the other, add this to your .htaccess file, preferably right after RewriteEngine On:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^domain\.com[NC]
RewriteRule 
^(.*)$ http://www.domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

And if you don’t want the WWW in your domain name, it’s the reverse:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.domain\.com[NC]
RewriteRule 
^(.*)$ http://domain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

yes, I redirect traffic to www as well.

I contact crucial and they installed my certificate in less than an hour.

Crucial is a top notch hosting company. Their customer support has been nothing short of amazing.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2