Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Urgent! Can’t Upgrade to 1.4

drumer4one

Total Posts:  4

Hello all,
I’m super frustrated with the entire upgrade process magento has goin on here any help would be super. I am on Magento ver. 1.3.2.4
Basically, there was a big bug here that made me search for support. The only way to fix it is to upgrade to the 1.4 or 1.4.0.1 ver.
I have tried using the Magento Connect Manager but that has been a pain in the butt from the beginning! It keeps giving error messages that varies and it’s a pain. I’ve looked up how to manually install it but with no luck.
Has anyone had any luck upgrading to 1.4.0.1 from ver. 1.3.2.4?

Thanks & Cheers!

Chad cheese

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Rod_C

Total Posts:  33

Hi Chad,

The best way I have found to do the manual update is:

1. Make sure you do all of your upgrading on a development server and never on your live site.

2. Backup your app\etc\local.xml & your templates folders in both “app\design\frontend” & “skin\frontend”

3. Login to admin and disable Cache.

4. Open your “var” folder and delete all of the content except for the .htaccess.

5. Download 1.4.0.1 archive and extract the content into your magento root folder. (Replacing all older files and folders)

6. Copy your backed up local.xml & template folders back in to there original positions.

7. Open a browser and navigate to a page on your site, it will take a little longer to load than normal. This is because it is updating your database.

8. Update done. Check your site, you may have to tidy up your template because of the new changes.

NOTE: If you are using extensions or have modified core files you may have problems.

If you have extensions installed and they are causing problems after updating try uninstalling before you update and then reinstall them after you have finished.

If you have made changes to the core files your changes will be removed when updating. (I would not recommend making changes to core files in the firstplace but you can all ways re-add the changes after updateing. *** All ways re-add your mods rather then backing up the originals as you will not get the changes in the new files and will possibly brake other parts of your site.

Regards
Rod

Magento Community
Magento Community

DCAlmeida

Total Posts:  164
PRT

drumer4one - 06 March 2010 08:02 PM

Has anyone had any luck upgrading to 1.4.0.1 from ver. 1.3.2.4?

Yes, many people!
Do you even read other threads? You probably found the solutions for your problems.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community