Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Presales question- how to make an add-on

Eirik

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

We are looking into building a new ecommerce site where we plan to sell VoIP equipment (phones, headsets etc). We are currently evaluating several solutions, and I really like Magento so far.

I’m a little nervous about using such a new product in production, but this might also give us an adventage to our competitors when we are able to implement new features when they become available.

The question I have should be quite simple, but Im not sure how to do this. I need the customer to be able to choose an add-on from a drop down list when they are looking into a “main” product. Lets say I have a Phone with SKU: phone. This phone can be purchased without a power supply, or with an EU or UK power. The EU have SKU pwr-EU , and UK have SKU pwr-uk.

I would like the customer to se a drop down menu when he looks at the Phone, where he can select “power supply” : none, uk, or eu.
When the customer selects EU power then it should be added to lines to the cart, with the phone, and pwr-eu (which both has a price)

How can I do this easy?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

aquiss

Total Posts:  54
United Kingdom

Quite easy i would think via Configurable Products

More information can found via the videocast http://www.magentocommerce.com/media/screencasts/configurable-products/view

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eirik

I have looked into this with configurable products. I added an attribute that I called powersupply, and I was able to get the power supplies from the drop down. But when I ordered the powersupply I only got one SKU in the cart. This way it’s almost impossible to keep track of inventory.

The thing is that I only need an “add-on”, that should not be required. This addon should be added to the cart togheter with the “main” product. So when I select a phone, i get a drop down that says: Please select power supply, default “none”, Eu or UK, When the customer selects EU both the phone SKU and PowerSupply is added to the cart. I guess this should be easy to implement, without making alot of different SKU’s and products?

I have found that I can set the power supply as a “related product” and “upsell”, but I would like this to be an “option” when ordering the product, and still keep’s track of my inventory.

If someone has a site where this is implemented, please give me an url so I can look into this. This is something that I need with most of my products, like headset that have different cables. The “main product” has 1 SKU that is “thisheadset” and the cables are used among many other headsets.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aquiss

Total Posts:  54
United Kingdom

Sounds more like a bundle way of doing things....ie: a product joins another at same time, and both get ordered with inventory adjusted accordingly.

If so, it’s on the roadmap http://www.magentocommerce.com/roadmap but not yet built into the system.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eirik

Thanks for your reply. This was what I feared. To bad we don’t have any overview of when features on the roadmap is expected.

Since there is no way to tell if this is 3 weeks or 12 months ahead, I guess I have to look into another ecommerce solution. I would really love to use Magento, because it looks state of the art, but this is a “must have” feature for me, since almost every product has a add-on that the customer NEEDS, and it causes alot of support if they “forget”.

If its in a drop down when they order, they can’t miss is.

Im currently using Joomla as my CMS system, and I might look into VirtueMart, but I would prefer Magento. I’m afraid I have to create all my products again if I choose to go with Magento now. It’s to bad that it’s not possible to change attribute type/product type after a product is created. Would not fancy greating 500 products again to be able to use bundle/add-on.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

you could simply list the items bundled yourself. e.g. have a Phone & UK PowerSupply Bundle and a Phone & EU PowerSupply Bundle.

or you could also setup cross promotion, so that when the phone was purchased/in the cart the cross promotion showed the powersuply.

OR you could have a message “this item is the phone alone, if you require a powersupply please choose from eu (link) or uk (link)”

Thats surely a couple of easy work arounds....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@Eirik: did you try related products?

They’re shown on the same page as the main one with checkboxes, which if you check, will add together with the main item to the cart.

This way they can add both EU and UK plugs, if they travel for example smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

That’s what I meant by “cross promotion” smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

bonhommie

Total Posts:  60

Moshe - 21 May 2008 06:57 AM

@Eirik: did you try related products?

They’re shown on the same page as the main one with checkboxes, which if you check, will add together with the main item to the cart.

This way they can add both EU and UK plugs, if they travel for example smile

I have been trying to understand the concept of cross-sell & related products, the way magento defines them.
I initially thought a cross-sell would “cross sell’ so that when EITHER of the items are added to cart, then the other one shows up. But instead when i create a cross sell B for A, and I add A to cart then B shows up but when I add B to cart, A never shows up. I reasoned that maybe cross-sells are for items that are very far apart in price.. so like the example of candy at the register, it wouldn’t make sense to cross-sell a $300 item with it.
related products however work the same way. So if I create a RELATED product, I’m thinking they are related both ways - how can one be related to the other, but not the other way around?
I’m thinking related products should show up on each other’s product pages, by just setting it in one of those products… but no, I will have to visit each product edit page and relate them to each other. Really, related products are a kind of cross-sell, but it;s like the only diff now is that one shows up on product page and the other in cart. Maybe bundles will solve this dilemma, as I ASSUME bundled products will each show up on each other’s pages....
any comments?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community