Magento Forum

Changing the banner on the basic template…

zbunn24

Total Posts:  30

I’m just starting to dabble with Magento and I am going to take this step by step. My site is currently located here:

http://store.teamcovenant.com

The first two things I will want to do is change the logo on the top and the banner that runs behind it. I am more than capable of designing the banner myself and already have the logo ready to go. I don’t know the technical way of going about changing such things and have tried unsuccessfully a few times. That being said, any assistance would be outstanding. Thanks in advance,

God Bless,
Zach

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Dale Grim

Total Posts:  14

The banner lives in skin/frontend/default/default/images.  So.. you can....

1) Just overwrite the one that’s there.
2) Create another directory under skin/frontend/default/ called whatever you like and put your file in a subdirectory called images.  Then go to the admin console and under system/configuration/design in the themes section put the name of your new directory in the edit box labeled “default”
3) Create another directory under skin/frontend called “whatever” with a subdirectory under that called “something” with a directory called images under that and put your header there.  Then change the text next to Package to match “whatever” and the text under theme in the default section to “something”.

All three steps above assume you’re just creating a file with a name that matches the magento name - which I think is header_top_container_bg.jpg

There are similar tricks you can do with css by putting modified css files in skin/frontend/default/whatever/ boxes.css is the one I think you want.  But that’s slightly harder.  Harder still is what I did which is to modify the page template to load custom.css and then putting in css overrides in custom.css

Magento Community
Magento Community

zbunn24

Awesome response. I did indeed get the banner to change, however now I need to know how to produce a good .gif image of the logo. I have CS3, but I’m not quite sure how to create a solid .gif of the image. Any help?

God Bless,
Zach

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dale Grim

Total Posts:  14

Image manipulation is a major pain.  I’m not sure exactly what you mean by a “good” gif.  Usually, the problems folks have with gif files is that the transparency doesn’t look the way they want it to.  Assuming this is your problem you can:

1) Put a rectangular border around the image.  This will remove any need for transparency, which is probably what you don’t like
2) Get the source image - whatever was used to make the gif.  Using an image program that supports either layers or alpha transparency, put the actually transparent logo over the section of the header that it will overlap and then save that as a gif.  Again, no transparency means no jagged edges.

Let me know if that answers your question or if I’ve missed something.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zbunn24

What actually might even be better is if I could just find a way to get rid of the text that now reads ‘Magento Commerce’. How would I go about doing that and getting rid of the need for a .gif altogether? Thanks,

God Bless,
Zach

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community