Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
The use of Magento for a live website and alternatives

WTD

Total Posts:  9

so what did you think of trading eye?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

macmukka

Total Posts:  5

Still getting to grips with it - I should be able to let you know next week.

Seems quite good so far, but I keep on breaking it, so I’ll have to see whether it’s me or tradingeye - me probably

Magento Community
Magento Community

typemismatch

Total Posts:  34

macmukka and others:

I had one rule while working with mage in a pre-release, no core code modifications! otherwise future upgrades would kill me. I’ve reached that point and unfortunately I cannot use it in a live site and will go back to my earlier project.

You can see how far I got here : http://mage.ip80.com/

This latest version didn’t work for me, I lost the ability to change currencies and had major problems getting my existing templates running due to changed/removed classes etc. (totally expected) but I didn’t know it would be so hard to figure out what was breaking each time. I had to dump all my admin changes too.

Overall I found the designing for Magento ok - I think each phtml needs a descriptive tag so when you analyze the output you’ll be able to track down what is running including a line indicating how the layout was determined. Some things don’t seem to render from templates and probably will later but for now they were even harder to change. I found the site speed “ok” but not great, I run on real Linux clusters so I’m sure I had enough processing power.

To summarize I’d say this is all to be expected in a beta so I’ll keep track of development and try this again 6-12 months from now.

Craig

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

@Craig - I am sorry to hear that you had problems upgrading Magento. I wanted you to note that one of the strongest features of Magento will be the ability to upgrade the application even on highly customized stores. This feature is still in the works and should be completed before the release of the first stable version. As such, we expected that upgrading before this feature is complete not to be always straight forward.

I hope to see you back here soon wink

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2