Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Sales Tax by County

ddupit

Total Posts:  17
miami

Another vote please!

I’m handling a cart that requires sales tax from NY and FL

I’d like to know if there was an extension for this as well.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

fifelskik

Total Posts:  18
Reno, Nevada

This looks like it has been a challenge for a couple of years. I\’m disappointed that Magento hasn\’t posted a response on here. Seems like kind of a big deal. It\’s not like we\’re requesting some cool feature or neat gizmo - we just want to abide by government law. I\’m about to launch my store, and I need to collect sales tax for Nevada, which is county-based.

Has anyone heard of an extension that will do this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fifelskik

Total Posts:  18
Reno, Nevada

Well, it took me several hours, but I did this by hand. I found a list of all the tax rates for the counties in the state of Nevada from the state’s website. Then, I put it in the correct csv format (took hours and hours); then I uploaded it. Lame.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nrjaurora

Total Posts:  1

One more Vote!  I too need sales tax broken out by county for NY state.  If it can be linked with the state\’s sales tax system in some way so that we don\’t have to periodically update to ensure accuracy that\’d be great.

Magento Community
Magento Community

HPMnick

Total Posts:  3

Yes, there needs to be a solution for this.. Let the customer choose the county, and apply a tax rate based on that..

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonhall

Total Posts:  4

Another vote.  We need this too!

Magento Community
Magento Community

trickthat

If anyone comes up with a solution for NYS or has the csv, please let me know.  Working on moving away from Wordpress…

http://www.vitacarry.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason C. Levine

Total Posts:  2

still looking for a solution

NY state tax rules are such a pain with the zip codes, countys and reporting codes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

CleanFreak

Here’s another vote for taxation by county.  This is the one piece holding us back from adopting this cart platform.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tomjung19

Total Posts:  2
Atlanta, GA

And yet another vote to add some sort of drop-down for a customer to identify their county.

I created a work around for the State of Georgia, but it’s not perfect.  Contact me if you’d like my csv file of all zip codes in GA.  I then applied these three simple tax rules: 

1.  State of GA; 4% (matches all zip codes:  State = GA; zip code = *)
2.  County; either 2% or 3% (all GA zip codes get assigned a value; six counties charge only 2%, all other 3%)
3.  City of Atlanta 1% (matches a handful of zip codes inside or partially inside the city limits; I identify those zips that straddle the city’s boundaries—example 30306 is sometimes in the City of Atlanta and sometimes not and is flagged as such)

I assign the same priority to all three rules so Magento adds the taxes rates together:  Example:  30309 gets taxed at 8%:  4% GA + 3% Fulton County + 1% City of Atlanta

Tom
http://www.recyclingrules.org

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandrable

Total Posts:  55

Hello all,

If you’re still looking for a solution, you can try this out: http://www.mag-manager.com. It has a feature to manage different types of tax classes and price types. This should help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Danroy

Total Posts:  5

For what it’s worth, i found this site that allows you download detailed tax rates based on zip code. I download the CA tax rates for free.

http://www.taxrates.com

Now to figure out how to import it into magento!

Magento Community
Magento Community

BAD311

Total Posts:  17

How do I import the tax rates into Magento? What file do I open to add in the tax info? do I just import a spreadsheet? If so how do I export the spreadsheet and input my info properly? Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

eonashville

this file offers very detailed tax rates, but there are multiple tax rates within a single ZIP code!  How to rectify this?

Thanks!

Rick_B - 16 February 2010 12:08 PM

Guys…
Here is the Ohio Sales Tax list by zip code, hope this helps!

https://thefinder.tax.ohio.gov/StreamlineSalesTaxWeb/Download/BoundaryData/CountySalesTaxRateReport.csv

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

tripleGint

Total Posts:  10
Columbus, OH

eonashville - 15 January 2013 07:27 AM

this file offers very detailed tax rates, but there are multiple tax rates within a single ZIP code!  How to rectify this?

Thanks!

Rick_B - 16 February 2010 12:08 PM
Guys…
Here is the Ohio Sales Tax list by zip code, hope this helps!

https://thefinder.tax.ohio.gov/StreamlineSalesTaxWeb/Download/BoundaryData/CountySalesTaxRateReport.csv

smile

I was kind of wondering the same thing, but then if Ohio.gov is going to offer up the rate to use on a zip code, then I would go with that rate. That’s what I’m doing on a couple of projects.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community