Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 4
Sales Tax by County

AccurateTax

Total Posts:  15

My company - AccurateTax - is new to Magento, but we have created a REST XML-based Software as a Service (SaaS) solution that provides zip+4 sales tax calculations, which also has the ability to scrub and validate US addresses to determine the zip+4 codes (since how many of us actually know our zip+4??) I’ve contact Varien as well, and will hopefully hear back from them if they are interested in adding this as a partner solution, however, if there’s enough interest from the user/merchant community we are happy to press forward with creating a solution specifically for the Magento platform.

You can learn more about our offerings at http://www.accuratetax.com.  We’d like to hear from Magento merchants or partners who see the value in our solution.  If anyone wants to learn more you can also attend one of our webinars: http://www.accuratetax.com/webinar.html for more information.

Kind regards,
Pete Petracco
http://www.accuratetax.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

GearWild

Total Posts:  12

BUMP

I’m looking for an extension within Magento that will enable the tax by county.  I really don’t want a third party service to calculate the tax.

Any ideas when Tax by Couny will be implemented?  Either natively by Magento or an Extension?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

AccurateTax

One issue with taxes by counties is that taxing authorities do not always set their rates on nice clean boundary lines like city/county, etc. 

Zip+4 sales tax calculation is the most accurate mechanism available today.  The issue with simply making this type of solution an integrated, standalone extension is that you

1) need to rely on a 3rd party for address validation/correction (e.g. determining what the zip+4 is since most shoppers won’t know their zip+4), and

2) you need an inordinate amount of data that keeps needing to be changed/updated based on new sales tax laws going into effect.

With AccurateTax, that’s all done for the user.  Additionally, AccurateTax provides sales tax reports and will be creating remittance mechanisms to make payment of sales tax even easier for our customers.  We certainly appreciate that some storeowners may wish to proceed with a standalone option, or may simply not like the SaaS model, but our pricing is very competitive. 

I’d be happy to discuss this further with you or anyone else who needs to collect sales tax for their store and are frustrated with their available options.

Regards,
Pete

Magento Community
Magento Community

AccurateTax

The AccurateTax Basic version is now available for Beta Testing for any interested storeowners.  The AccurateTax service allows shoppers to simply enter their ship to/bill to information have subsequently parses that information to determine the proper sales tax calculations based on the rules of the state that the storeowner has a nexus in.  The module uses the zipcode entered by the shopper to calculate their applicable sales tax rates and returns the proper percentages and amounts to the store for final checkout processing.

The data is entirely managed on our server, so there is no monthly re-work for the storeowner to deal with in getting new rates in place. 

This module is a beta release at this point, so anyone who signs up now as a tester will get a 20% discount off their first three months of service, even if we ultimately don’t use you as a tester, you’ll still get the discount. 

If you’re interested in participating in the beta, you can contact us at or 866.400.2444. 

Kind regards,
Pete

Magento Community
Magento Community

Helder

Total Posts:  34
Montevideo, Uruguay.

Does anyone has a CSV file for NY?

I tried PMing rschnikee as he said but he didn’t answer me. I’m in very urgent need of this.

Please someone, let me know if you have a CSV with NY counties rates.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

AccurateTax

As others can attest, Sales Tax by County doesn’t always work.  Unfortunately, many cities and metro area transit authorities have a tendency to want to dip into the collective sales tax pie and doing so creates big messes for storeowners trying to calculate the applicable sales tax.  AccurateTax is especially applicable for these types of states, such as California, Florida, New York and many others. 

With that said, we’re happy to announce the generally available release of our AccurateTax Advanced TaxTools module.  The AccurateTax Advanced service allows Magento shoppers to enter their ship to/bill to information and have it scrubbed by our Address Validation service to determine the proper sales tax rates based on the rules of the state that the Magento storeowner has a nexus in.  The module determines the zip+4 zipcode based on the information entered by the shopper to calculate their applicable sales tax rates and returns the proper percentages and amounts to the store for final checkout processing.

The sales tax and address data is managed entirely on our server, so there are no monthly updates that you as a storeowner need to deal with to get new rates in place.

This is an early GA announcement for the Magento forum users, so as a special promotion to Magento storeowners, we’re offering the Advanced module at no cost with 30 address validation and 30 sales tax calls included as a free trial just for signing up. 

If you’re interested in learning more or signing up, you can contact us at or 866.400.2444. 

Sales Tax Solution for Magento | AccurateTax TaxTools Advanced

Magento Community
Magento Community

shaunole

Total Posts:  7

In NY and FL, the postal codes do not overlap counties (to the best of my understanding). I have compiled an importable list of rates by postal code for both of those states. I can confirm it works in 1.3.2.4. If interested, head on over to my site and follow the provided instructions. I can compile the same for other states free of charge, but as it tends to be time consuming so please be patient.

Olebox -Shaun Oleson - Giving back to the Community

Magento Community
Magento Community

AccurateTax

Hey Shaun,

Based on your post it sounded like you were saying 5-digit zipcodes do not span county lines...unfortunately that’s not the case (it used to be that easy, but for some reason the powers that be in states like Florida and New York decided to make all our lives a bit more difficult).

An example of this in New York is below:

http://www.zipmaps.net/New_York/Herkimer_County.htm

In Herkimer county, the postal code 13329 spans two counties and as one might guess the county tax rates are different.  If someone were just using the 5-digit zipcode they wouldn’t get the right rate for this 5 digit zip. 

Florida’s a bit nicer on the county lines although they have their fair share of overlaps too.  They also have a discretionary surtax (really just a county tax) that needs to be collected too, so managing that can be a nightmare for most storeowners. 

These were issues that we took into account when creating AccurateTax and I’d be happy to demo it for you if you like. 

Give us a shout.
Best regards,
Pete

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimonJ621

Total Posts:  2

Any news on this issue? Tax by county is a very important feature, especially with some of the legislation that’s going through the political sphere these days in regard to this issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GFX Complex

Total Posts:  47
St.Louis

Man that is really lame that my only option is to pay for a 3rd party plug in “per use of the function” . Come on some one has had to address the issue at magneto.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GFX Complex

St.Louis

Just released a plugin that will let you tap into the WA state sales tax API at check out.

email me at josh[at]gfxcomplex.com if you would like a copy of it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

GFX Complex

St.Louis

New site where you can demo this and get the plugin.
http://watax.gfxcomplex.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

hockeydepot

NY TAX ISSUES:

I too am from NY and need to be able to collect sales Tax for well over 900 or so cities with multiple zip codes. While i used OS Commerce initially we used to be able to have the customer choose the city, then the state and then it would allow them to chose the county they lived in and most if not all new it. Which we would then have the correct sales tax for.  It would be much easier for us to do 30 some odd counties then over 900 cities with thousands of zip codes and i checked with the NYS Dept of Taxation and Finance and they do not offer any CVS file with zip codes and tax rates.

So we are asking Magento developers to please look at this and if accurate tax can work with this system then that would be awesome

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rick_B

Guys…
Here is the Ohio Sales Tax list by zip code, hope this helps!

https://thefinder.tax.ohio.gov/StreamlineSalesTaxWeb/Download/BoundaryData/CountySalesTaxRateReport.csv

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

noobuserr

Total Posts:  11
Ohio

11 more Votes. We are desperately looking for a solution as well. I have 11 different Magento sites for various clients (Magento is the best!). Ohio now requires filing taxes by county. What a pain!

I would be amazing if either some one comes out with an extension or the Magento team adds in an automatic means to implement this as well as pull and update the current county rates.

Thanks!
Paul

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4