Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Sales Tax by County

rollockg

Total Posts:  8

I would like Magento to havve the functionality of having tax rates by county within state, and also allowing a drop down / data entry field for county when the customer adds their shipping information so that the correct sale tax can be applied at purchase time.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

okeefferd

Total Posts:  7

I second this request.  Starting the first of July, Minnesota now requires an extra tax be assessed on sales taxable items if they are to be sold to customers of specific counties.  I cant make my store live until this feature is included, in however rudimentary of means (customers specify county manually if all else).  Thanks again for a great product!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jay Anderson

Total Posts:  10

You can technically do the tax by pulling up Zip Codes for states, and manually adding that. It takes a incredulously long time to complete but is more accurate in the long run so they don’t cheat on you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

okeefferd

Total Posts:  7

Yea, but the problem with Minnesota is that counties and zipcodes dont match....who knows why.  So some of our zipcodes cross over to other counties, not just one,so to tax correctly we need to have the option. Hopefully the govt would be okay with our blind ignorance if someone were to cheat on it.  The way I’ve seen it implemented in some other ecommerce programs is that it looks up the possible counties based on your zip, then presents you with the choices in a dropdown.  If we can get something like that, I’d be donating for sure!

Magento Community
Magento Community

dgmsolutions

Hi, in searching the site it looks like there is no solution yet.  I need the same functionalilty for Florida, we have surtaxes based on customer county.  Some cases its as high as 1%.  This should be an easy fix for a good magento programmer, which I’m not.  Essentially if customer ship to state=florida, they are given a county to select.  The county would have the predefined rate. 

This should be core code as most states have some type of county or local taxes these days that if the merchant doesn’t collect, still has to pay.  I don’t mind inputting the rates that’s no biggie.  I hope this one is being considered for a future release.  Meanwhile, I’ll see what I can cook up on my own.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pastanislas

Total Posts:  46

Hi all, defenitely need this too. Another example is NY state where some zip codes are shared between 2 or 3 counties with different Taxes.
ie :

STATE : New York | COUNTY : Allegany | City : Arcade | ZIP CODE : 14009 | TAX RATE : 8.5
STATE : New York | COUNTY : Cattaraugus | City : Arcade | ZIP CODE : 14009 | TAX RATE : 8
STATE : New York | COUNTY : Wyoming | City : Arcade | ZIP CODE : 14009 | TAX RATE : 8

So we ABSOLUTELY NEED THIS FEATURE TO BE IN RULE WITH THE LAW.

Maybe someone has a trick to add one more field to the tax rules ?

Please Magento team, answer to this.
Is it on the roadmap ?
Can you provide a patch (Moshe ?) ?
Thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

razor

Total Posts:  13

pastanislas - 21 November 2008 01:21 AM

Hi all, defenitely need this too. Another example is NY state where some zip codes are shared between 2 or 3 counties with different Taxes.
ie :

STATE : New York | COUNTY : Allegany | City : Arcade | ZIP CODE : 14009 | TAX RATE : 8.5
STATE : New York | COUNTY : Cattaraugus | City : Arcade | ZIP CODE : 14009 | TAX RATE : 8
STATE : New York | COUNTY : Wyoming | City : Arcade | ZIP CODE : 14009 | TAX RATE : 8

So we ABSOLUTELY NEED THIS FEATURE TO BE IN RULE WITH THE LAW.

Maybe someone has a trick to add one more field to the tax rules ?

Please Magento team, answer to this.
Is it on the roadmap ?
Can you provide a patch (Moshe ?) ?
Thank you

Wow, that is an absolute nightmare for calculating taxes, one city, one zip, in three counties.

Like earlier mentioned in this thread, Users should be able to select a State, then enter in Zip. The system then pops up a dropdown box asking which county. I’ve seen this done many times on other ecommerce sites, but I cant think of any off the top of my head.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hadzimh

Total Posts:  1

Here is another vote for sales taxes by counties.
Needless to say I am from NY.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ranger_lp

Total Posts:  2

Razor, did the zipcode by NY county on my zen cart site:  http://www.sunfluersjewelrydesigns.com .

Would love to adopt Magento but the sales tax by county is a show stopper.

Magento Community
Magento Community

officiallyrad

Ugh, the final issue I’ve had to deal with before launching our site, and now Im not sure what to do. We’re in NYC, so we need to charge full tax to customers in NYC, and then tax depending on county for the rest of the state. Is there really no way to do this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pastanislas

Total Posts:  46

Up ?
Someone ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

GVal

Total Posts:  15

I am in NY with same problem.  Any solutions for this one?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rschnikee

GVal - 05 March 2009 03:07 PM

I am in NY with same problem.  Any solutions for this one?

Hi All,

We have fallen in love with Magento and have built our entire site on it. Only problem is that we have to collect sales tax by county. We’re in NY, too.

We are willing to pay someone to develop this. We’ve spent two months designing and now testing. This is a major road block! We do not want to move to another system.

Also, does anyone have a .csv of New York state counties and corresponding sales tax rates for 2009?

HELP!

Regards,

Luke

Magento Community
Magento Community

rschnikee

Here is a .csv that relates zip codes to tax rates for New York State. Magento could not handle multiple entries for the zip codes so if there were two zip codes with different tax rates, we deleted the lesser tax rate.

This is the only work around that we could find since Magento does not currently allow tax rates by county.

This is for New York State zip codes and tax rates as of April 2009 according to our source. I haven’t found a way to confirm that these rates are 100% accurate.

I can’t get the forum to let me upload the file. If you need it, just send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

Use at your own risk.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Analytics

Total Posts:  5
Las Vegas

Also does anyone know if there is a way to automatically download new tax rates as they get updated?

We need to collect sales tax in quite a few states and would like to be sure we use the current rates.

Something similar to downloading the exchange/currency rates.

Thank you very much!

Matt

Magento Community
Magento Community

GearWild

Total Posts:  12

Another Vote for Sales Tax By County!

Ohio requires that tax be charged by the county.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4