Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Multiple brands per product

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I’m not sure exactly where to put this, so I hope it’s in the right area.  If I got it wrong, please move it for me. The reason I say that is I’m not quite sure if this is a feature request, or if it can already be done.

I run a website that sells central vacuums and related parts and accessories.  We only sell a handful of actual central vacuum units, but we sell parts that are compatible with dozens of other units that we don’t sell.  What I would like to do is have a drop down listing on the home page (or anywhere else for that matter) that lists all of the central vacuum units that we sell parts for.  Selecting any on the list will bring up all of the items we sell that are compatible with that particular unit.  I’m thinking this can be done with the existing attributes in Magento, but I’m not sure how.  This would be similar to how a car parts website works, where you can select the year, make, and model of your car, and only get parts that fit your particular car.

This is a feature that most of our competitors already have.  I’m currently using osCommerce, and I haven’t been able to figure out how to do this with that program.  The main issue is that a lot of people search for their brand of unit, but our site never shows up, because that brand is nowhere on our site.  For instance, Beam is a very popular brand of central vacuum.  We sell hundreds of parts and accessories that will work with Beam units, but because the word Beam is nowhere to be found on our site, we do not show up in search listings for Beam.  There are many dozens of units we sell parts for, so getting listed in Google or wherever under those terms would be very helpful to us.  Plus, someone who finds us under a more generic search phrase like “central vacuum parts” would be able to see right on our home page that we sell parts for whatever unit they happen to have.  If this can already be done or is planned for future releases, that would be a huge plus for me.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

This can definitely be achieved using the product attribute. The interface of using a PD is not currently supported but we might consider it for future design packages.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

arana

Total Posts:  8

i need a feature like that for my shop, i seel AC Autoparts and that functionality (year make model filter cascading dropdowns) it is the only thing that has stopped me to start using either virtuemart or OSCommerce, asked in their respective forums BY MANY PEOPLE but apparently is not very important to developers, i think this is a basic feature that all carts should include by default.
if you add this to magento then it would be definately my choice (yes a single functionality like this is what keeps me away from choosing one over the rest) , it is just that clients will go away if they have to click thru all the categories tree in VM only to notice that after 10 clicks ther product is not for sale anymore or something like that .
it would be very easy to just select a car year/make/modeel then show the categories as --COMPRESSORS --VALVES --FANS etc

is good to know you have at least considered adding that functionality, thats enough for me to keep to the site looking coming for updates

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community