Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Admin & Frontend turned 404 Error after website change

jamesr

Total Posts:  1

Could someone tell me what went wrong? I just recently installed magento and tired to add a product with catalogue. But then I switched to system to add a website. Upon doing that, recognized a number was in the name right after i confirmed. A note was there that said only caracters a-z. when the page refreshed, I was unable to access my admin are and frontend page. Only thing that keeps coming up is this:

>>
404 error:  Page not found.

1337/h4x0r j00 f001, 7|-|47 p4g3 d0|\|’7 eXi57! y0u sux0rz.
Afrikaans Die webblad is nie beskikbaar nie.
American South Ah cain’t find th’ page yer lookin’ fer.
Amiga User Software Failure. Guru Meditation #22000000.48454C50
Arabic Unwan Al URL Aladiina Tabhatuuna Anhu Ghayru mawjuud.
Armenian Ait tegheh vor uzumek tesnek chi tcharvoom.
Armenian Tents ej mer mot el chka, yerevi chi el yekhel!
<<
and a long list of different ways to say page cannot be found.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong and instruct me on how to reverse or correct this problem?

James

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Noemi

Total Posts:  2

Similar thing happened to me, but I didn’t have any numbers in my name. After I made a store view, 404 everywhere.

Magento Community
Magento Community

daYmo

Total Posts:  12

Hi there,
I wanted to create a Website > Store & Store view…
After filling in the form to create the website, the next page was exactly the same as you.
Any idea someone ?

PS : running Magento 1.0.19870 on Windows ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

benw

Total Posts:  6

I’m having same reply, just installed it and kinda frustrated, the only thing I’ve done in admin was create the website and now this…

Magento Community
Magento Community

daYmo

I’ll test on Linux… to know if that’s a problem of operating system or what.

Note : When I tested Magento it was on the previous version and the problem didn’t occur (it was tested on the same plateform as the one I’m using now and where I get that boring error).

Magento Community
Magento Community

benw

i’m using linux and have the prob, still working on it

Magento Community
Magento Community

daYmo

Pffffffffffffffffffffff !
ok…

In the index.php page in your root directory change :

Mage::run();
by
Mage::run(’default’);

Magento Community
Magento Community

benw

Awesome that worked, I tried forever but couldn’t figure that out.

I don’t mean to be mean but how the hell is this not a beta product? I thought it was out of beta yet if you follow their step by step install you get this problem and no clear fix? Is this a new error? Are staff members here to at least explain why this happened?

I can’t trust a product very much if the second thing the install guide says to do causes the entire cart not to work…

Magento Community
Magento Community

daYmo

I agree with you… I really don’t understand how such an error exists in Magento 1.0.19870 !
As a matter of fact, management by website / store & store views isn’t really new is think…
And the code can’t work without this fix.
Hope there’s no other stuff like that in Magento coz it’s a waste of time to fix errors like that just after installation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dwrf

Total Posts:  2

Nice!! daYmo, I had this issue 2 weeks ago, came back to it tonight, and found your fix, Cheers!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alouette

Total Posts:  24

hello..
well I happen to have the same error, tried as suggested but not got another error

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alouette

Total Posts:  24

ok sorry I found it..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jennifer M

Total Posts:  21

I have some similar problem.  I went into the store setup bit just now and changed something there, and now everything is 404s - back end and front end. 

But it’s not fixed by editing index.php to Mage::run(’default’); - I tried that, no difference.

This is 1.0.19870.1 on Linux (Ubuntu Feisty Fawn).

I had set up the beginnings of 3 stores. 

What I was trying to do was change the default store from “purple” to “blue”. 

I think I had clicked on a link called “Website” to get the view I was in when I made the change.  Obviously I can’t go back via the admin and either check what I did or change it back, because the admin is all 404s too! 

I have a sort of feeling that maybe the reason the Mage::run(’default’); fix didn’t work is that I had done the other previous tinkering e.g. creating more stores, and maybe because of that it’s now got a different idea about what the default is or something.  My guess would be that somehow the database has got inconsistent with the code or with itself. 

I’ve had a poke around in the MySQL and I can see four stores in the table core_store_group.  In the default_store_id field, the “purple” one is still 1 and the others are zero.  Not sure if that’s significant. 

I’ve tried changing it so the purple one is zero there and the one named “default” is 1.  And I’ve tried changing index.php so that instead of Mage::run(’default’); it was Mage::run(’purple’); (with default_store_id set so purple is 1). But that was just hopeful guesswork, not really an understanding of what’s gone on. 

What I’d like to know (and be able to check) is what the relevant database tables are for stores and their root catalogues, and what they ought to look like for it to work (assuming either Mage::run(’default’); or Mage::run(’something-else’); - whatever’s simplest).  Then I can rescue it using phpMyAdmin and not have to redo my other work… which would be nice :-/

If this all means anything to anyone, then a clue would be much appreciated :-)

thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

daYmo

Hello,

there’s something weird happening with Stores, and views !
As a matter of fact, I solved the error with this fix but whenever I want to change language (another view) it always go back to the default one on the next page or refresh…
Let’s say my default view match the french version of the website and the view “English” to the english version, when I switch from french to english it works but onto the next page it went back to the french view !

So, I’m not sure that the fix I wrote is correct because this will always display “default” view, whatever other view the user selects…

There might be something to do like checking a SESSION variable…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jennifer M

Total Posts:  21

daYmo - 09 June 2008 12:54 AM

So, I’m not sure that the fix I wrote is correct because this will always display “default” view, whatever other view the user selects…

There might be something to do like checking a SESSION variable…

@ daYmo -

I think you’re right - there is more to it than the fix you suggested above. 

I think maybe your fix is more of a workaround - that maybe it “goes around” the broken bit rather than actually fixing it.  But at the same time it “goes around” the bit where it ought to find out which view the user wanted.

It may mean that the problem is at the stage where Mage is supposed to find out which view to run - that it was “getting confused” when it tried to find that out.  In that case, telling it to run the default stops it getting confused, but as you say, also stops it running anything that isn’t the default. 

I also think it’s possible that the different people in this thread don’t necessarily have exactly the same problem!  After all 404s everywhere really just means “Can’t find anything”, and that could be caused in different ways.  (And in my case, that workaround didn’t work.) But we do seem to have in common that it’s something to do with multiple stores or websites or views. 

@ everyone -

I think it’s likely we’ll need someone from the team to really solve this properly, but how about gathering a bit more data in the meantime and seeing where we get? 

In core_store I have:

store_id   code          website_id   group_id   name       sort_order   is_active
0          admin             0          0        Admin       0            1
1          english_uk        1          1       English UK   0            1

In core_store_group I have:

group_id     website_id     name       root_category_id     default_store_id
0                0         
Default         0                          0
1                1         Purple          9                          1
2                1         Blue            8                          0
3                1         Green           5                          0

If anyone else is happy to poke around in their database and put out the answers, we might find something out by the comparison maybe.  I’m sure these tables must come into it somewhere. 

It would be especially helpful if someone with a working install could post what they have, to compare with the broken ones. 

Anyone wanna play?

(B.t.w. I’m sure there’s a better way to get that table data out of MySQL than the way I did it - how do you get those ASCII tables with the | characters doing the lines and + characters at the corners?)

Magento Community
Magento Community

daYmo

@Jennifer M : thanks for your answer, and that’s clear there’s something to fix in Mage, in the way that it has to find out the default view and has to be able to know and keep using the selected view. Something with Session ? something in the code to add ?

@everyone

I wanna play Jennifer M, but as you know my install soesn’t work properly ! But the more we have, the faster we’ll understand

In core_store I have:
store_id code website_id group_id name sort_order is_active
0 admin 0 0 Admin 0 1
1 english 1 1 English 0 1
3 default 1 1 Francais 0 1
4 allemand 1 1 German 0 1

In core_store_group I have:
group_id website_id name root_category_id default_store_id
0 0 Default 0 0
1 1 Main Website Store 2 1

Magento Community