Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Packing units as grouped products with fixed quantities? 

Thice

Total Posts:  4

Dear Magento Community,

I need to modelize the following situation in Magento:

There are several products which are normally packed into packing units. Customers should be able to buy single products from the packages but also whole packages. If they buy packages, we offer a lower price because the logistic is much easier for packages instead of single products.

e.g.:
“Product A” is available in a 25 unit package.

The first thing I found in the user’s guide was Grouped Products. So I created “Product A” as a single product. After that I created “Package of Product A” as a Grouped Product, added “Product A” as an Associated Product and set the default quantity to 25.

But sadly that’s not exactly what I need. Customers are still able to change the quantity to whatever they want and the Grouped Product is not added to the shopping cart as a package but as single products. So my customers will not be able to by “6 Packages of Product A” but “150 times Product A” and that’s not the goal of my shot.

Is there an option to “freeze” the default quantity in Grouped Products to get the Grouped Products handled as packages where the only option for customers is how many packages to buy? Is Grouped Products the right choise for this problem or is there another option for packing units?

UPDATE: I think I should add this: The customers buying single products and the customers buying whole packing units will be different customer groups. Maybe the group scopes can be used to realize the different amounts. Can someone tell me how?

Thank you for your time! I’m looking forward to your answers!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

moritz_a

Total Posts:  11

We have the same Problem. We’d like to offer our products both as a single purchase as well as different series/subscriptions of that product (3-Months, 6 Months, 12 Months subscription). The series has lower prices per Unit, but customers shouldn’t be able to change the amounts of the series. Additionally, individual “add item co cart” buttons should be displayed for each associated product.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community