Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom Store - Pricoll.com, follow us! 

Syndia

Total Posts:  38
Netherlands, The

Hello all,

we(=only me, hehehe) are building a customized site/store based on Magento, using build-in CMS from Magento for none-store pages.

We are building a beta first, you can follow our live building progress at Collectors’ World, so you can ask questions from the beginning of our development and customized Magento site/store.

For our skin we are using our own CSS framework.

Why show it now while the site/store is not ready?
Because it is helpfull for us and maybe for you to. Also for our history, to view back how we build our site.

If you have any questions, please use this topic.

Don’t forget this site is progress, but all suggestions, bugs are welcome in this topic.

Thank you Magento for this great application and the whole community for all help, suggestions, etc.

Best Regards,
John

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

jay@grimestore

Total Posts:  49

Great idea, only thing I could say which could be useful to people when following through is some sort of idea what the site will look like when its finished maybe?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Syndia

Netherlands, The

jay@grimestore - 18 May 2008 01:59 PM

Great idea, only thing I could say which could be useful to people when following through is some sort of idea what the site will look like when its finished maybe?

I’m building first a simple site, based on Microsoft’s TechNet site. Why this site?

Because it has a simple design and a good start for me too learn:
- CSS, because they use tables where I do not want it, building my own CSS Framework, Accessibility while my site have to be readable, visible for everyone.
- Magento, because I have to overwrite classes, build my own design files(.phtml) to reach what I want,
- PHP and MySQL, because I have to develop my own Modules for Magento.
- and I will learn much more when I build my own site.

At this moment I don’t know how it wil be looks, while I get idea’s when I build something., and first want to finish the basic site.

I hope to informed enough about the question above and maybe helpfull for others.

I’m not a professional designer, developer. This is the way how I work, learn and get my own ideas for building my own site and design.
I have to learn and suggestions, ideas are very welcome.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jay@grimestore

Total Posts:  49

No problems, is exactly the same way I have worked through the development of my own site. Good luck!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren E

Total Posts:  54
The Woodlands, Texas

Still a little early to showcase your site though...Unless of course you want us to use our imagination! wink
Post again when you have more complete, it’s hard to review something so early on in the build phase my friend!

Darren

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dustin

Total Posts:  160
Columbus, OH

Darren E - 23 May 2008 08:17 AM

Still a little early to showcase your site though...Unless of course you want us to use our imagination! wink
Post again when you have more complete, it’s hard to review something so early on in the build phase my friend!

Darren

That is the point. His post says it is a store in development and we can follow along as they customize it and get it ready for a public launch.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Syndia

Netherlands, The

First is our only me wink, but our looks nicer.

I do this, because I develop my own CSS Framework, which when it is ready for public really be easy to customize Magento CSS.

An example I will show below.

Overwrite a dropdown widget will be easy like this.

<link type="text/css" ... core.css...> <!-- Nothing to change here -->
This wil load the whole CSS framework, include the customized .css(only one file need to customize) in the page.
Example dropdownlist customized

<div class="dropdown">...</div> <!-- Nothing to change here -->

Here the customized .dropdown class in customized css file(only one file needed for customizing the framework.

/**
 * Change only background and border.
 */
.dropdown {
    background
-colorred;

border1px solid blue;
}
.dropdown:hover {
    border
1px solid #c5c5c5;
}
.dropdown.hightlight a:hover {
    background
-coloryellow;
}

I’m not going to tell all core, widgets, etc.
Follow the site if you are interrested in it, the CSS framework is 100% CSS.
I test only in the latest browsers (Firefox, Opera and IE) at this time, later I test it in older and other browsers, but that will need hacks.

I hope to informed enough at this time, but questions and suggestions are always welcome.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community