Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Make Magento Connect more successful

eitai2001
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi.

If you want to make magento connect more successful ... structure it a bit more like the oscommerce contributions section.
When I look at a category link in Magento connect, it says 18 items, but when I click on it, it only shows like 6.

Also ... make Magento connect fully opensource addons ... myself, and I’m sure everyone else hates having to sift through the free stuff and the commercial stuff ... make a completely separate section for commercial stuff ... but if you want to be as successful as osCommerce (Because Magento has much more potential), make all add-ons and stuff opensource.

Regards

Itai

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Definitely looks like there’s a bug for the category count.

Also, Magento Connect is broken down into license type, Commercial and Open Source:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/community
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/commercial

There’s actually no commercial extensions right now though, but where are you seeing an extension that isn’t free?

By the way, Magento can’t force the extension makers to keep their product free and open source, it’s entirely up to the developer.

As Magento evolves, there will be more extensions added, but it’s still a very young product. Version 1 literally just came out, while osCommerce has been around for 8 years now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eitai2001
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Johannesburg, South Africa

I didn’t see extensions that aren’t free ... I just meant for future purposes.

I understand that you can’t force creators to keep their products free ... what I mean is keep the stuff they create as opensource, and hopefully everyone follows suite.

On a side note ... something I will find very important when I do eventually adopt magento is a program similar to the osCommerce Manager software that is available for purchase ... and the openSource version too ... that makes life a lot easier ... and I think it will be important.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

eitai2001 - 15 May 2008 11:07 PM

Hi.

If you want to make magento connect more successful ... structure it a bit more like the oscommerce contributions section.
When I look at a category link in Magento connect, it says 18 items, but when I click on it, it only shows like 6.

Regards

Itai

Hear hear!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community