I hit several serious issues when upgrading Magento to 1.8.1 (using Magento Connect, running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) today:
1. Initially the site wouldn’t load at all due to a 500 error. After checking my Apache log files I found that the .htaccess file in the root of the shop contained âOptions +FollowSymLinksâ which is not allowed (security risk) so I had to comment it out. I would recommend that this be removed (or perhaps replaced with Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch) in future releases.
2. The site then wouldn’t come out of maintenance mode. After searching online for a solution I found I had to manually remove the “maintenance.flag” file from the root. I’d recommend adding some sort of informative error message in this situation.
3. The site then loaded but all image links were broken. Again a bit of online searching revealed that the .htaccess file in the /media/ folder contains âOptions All âIndexesâ. Commenting this out fixes the problem. (I also tried clearing caches and changing file permissions but that didn’t help.) I’d recommend removing that in future releases.
4. Images then appeared but the ones in the product information screens wouldn’t zoom or pan. Again, a bit of online searching revealed that the directory /js/scriptaculous/ was completely missing. Restoring it from an older version of Magento fixed the problem. I’d recommend adding some regression tests to the release process to catch this sort of error in future.
I hope this helps someone. I wasted a lot of time on these problems today and yet they all seem to be known problems that have been reported previously.