Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Four serious issues with 1.8.1 upgrade (with solutions)

philmck

Total Posts:  6
London

I hit several serious issues when upgrading Magento to 1.8.1 (using Magento Connect, running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) today:

1. Initially the site wouldn’t load at all due to a 500 error. After checking my Apache log files I found that the .htaccess file in the root of the shop contained “Options +FollowSymLinks” which is not allowed (security risk) so I had to comment it out. I would recommend that this be removed (or perhaps replaced with Options +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch) in future releases.

2. The site then wouldn’t come out of maintenance mode. After searching online for a solution I found I had to manually remove the “maintenance.flag” file from the root. I’d recommend adding some sort of informative error message in this situation.

3. The site then loaded but all image links were broken. Again a bit of online searching revealed that the .htaccess file in the /media/ folder contains “Options All –Indexes”. Commenting this out fixes the problem. (I also tried clearing caches and changing file permissions but that didn’t help.) I’d recommend removing that in future releases.

4. Images then appeared but the ones in the product information screens wouldn’t zoom or pan. Again, a bit of online searching revealed that the directory /js/scriptaculous/ was completely missing. Restoring it from an older version of Magento fixed the problem. I’d recommend adding some regression tests to the release process to catch this sort of error in future.

I hope this helps someone. I wasted a lot of time on these problems today and yet they all seem to be known problems that have been reported previously.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MeanUncleDon

Total Posts:  2

I just wanted to say thanks for your post! We have been down for 3 days trying to find the answers about our images and your post helped us fix a couple issues we had.  We are still surfing through post trying to tackle each item which seems to be breaking something else in hopes that a complete fix is available sooner than later.

Happy New Year and Thanks again,
Don

Magento Community
Magento Community

philmck

London

Glad it helped someone!

I’ve since found another problem since the upgrade. PayPal IPN responses are always getting a 500 response from the server now, yet strangely everything seems OK with the order processing - the “Payment Information” section in the order details shows a verified PayPal payment.

I haven’t found a resolution, nor any other reports of this problem yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Joel_bouton

Total Posts:  1

Dear philmck,

I would to say thank you for your post it really helps!!

I have another issue since this update to 1.8.1. (in which you may eventually faced it) I have an issue with the offsite maintenance; when I activated the maintenance extension (in which I set up the authorization view for the admin) and that I returned to the website, it turns out to the maintenance setting, which does not allow me to work in maintenance mode. In your first post you mentioned the maintenance.flag that you deleted from you webroot, but me I couldn’t find here.

Best regards,

Joel

Magento Community
Magento Community

philmck

London

Just upgraded to 1.9.0.1 and the first three problems are still there, the last one is solved.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community