Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
What is the best way to add custom css

ikuzyk
Magento Team

Total Posts:  60
Ternopil, Ukraine

you can put it in boxes.css

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

exerion

Total Posts:  8

I also don’t have a styles.css anywhere in my Magento install.

I would really like to find where Magento loads the CSS files so I can load a custom CSS file last.  This way it will overwrite what has previously been set.  Instead of editing all the CSS files I can just make changes to one and easily keep track of what changes I have made.

Any help is greatly appreciated smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jeissler

Total Posts:  23

@exerion

Sorry for any confusion. I updated my posts to clarify for future reference. If you are using the blank theme you would have styles.css, but when using the default theme it is boxes.css. You can use the import method in the top of boxes.css:

@import url(’your_new.css’);
or use the addCss method in the top of your page.xml file:
<action method="addCss"><stylesheet>css/new_style.css</stylesheet></action>
Either will work, but I would recommend the first. My method to simplify things for editing CSS has been to create a few custom CSS files. One for my custom navigation, one for buttons, etc. When I change things from the default stuff I cut the properties from boxes.css and paste into a custom.css file.

There are so many css properties I found it cumbersome to use just one or two files. I use half a dozen or so that are highly specific and named for their particular purpose. Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bcarl314

Total Posts:  5

Ok, I added this line to my page.xml file…

<action method="addCss"><stylesheet>css/custom.css</stylesheet></action>

And it generates the following in my page:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://IP_ADDRESS/skin/frontend/INTERFACE_NAME/default/css/custom.css" media="all" />

Why doesn’t it generate
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://IP_ADDRESS/skin/frontend/INTERFACE_NAME/THEME_NAME/css/custom.css" media="all" />

???

Magento Community
Magento Community

David Oliver

Total Posts:  177
Cologne, Germany

bcarl314 - 28 September 2009 01:35 PM

Ok, I added this line to my page.xml file…

<action method="addCss"><stylesheet>css/custom.css</stylesheet></action>

And it generates the following in my page:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://IP_ADDRESS/skin/frontend/INTERFACE_NAME/default/css/custom.css" media="all" />

Why doesn’t it generate
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://IP_ADDRESS/skin/frontend/INTERFACE_NAME/THEME_NAME/css/custom.css" media="all" />

???

Have you inserted the name of your themes directory in Admin Panel > System > Configuration > Design > Skin (Images / CSS)? (Or in the Default field if you’re working from an entire copy of a theme.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

g0rdian

Total Posts:  65

Adding your custom CSS through XML is great, but it leaves a trail. If you want to be a bit more secretive about your styling then @import is the way to go. It will still be visible to others, but it would take a seasoned developer or a novice with some serious determination to determine where all your css is coming from.

For the life of me, I could not get my @import to work.

Then I figured out that it must be at the absolute top of the styles.css (or other applicable) file. Before the comments, before any Magento notices. It must be the absolute first line(s).

Magento Community
Magento Community

shankaradodis

Total Posts:  47

Hi,

Best way of editing default template is by creating a new theme and copy your styles.css there and edit it

this will prevent loss of work at the time of upgrading

Magento Community
Magento Community

collinssolutions

Total Posts:  79
USA Arkansas

has anyone got this to work. No matter what i put into config-design-themes i still get

<action method="addCss"><stylesheet>css/jquery.fancybox-1.3.1.css</stylesheet></action>

produces

skin/frontend/base/default/css/jquery.fancybox-1.3.1.css

Magento Community
Magento Community

bxck75

Total Posts:  9

you can put your stylesheet include in menu.css or boxes.css

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community