Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Avoiding duplication when importing

Bonaventure

Total Posts:  29

I already have some products entered into Magento.
When I use dataflow to import more products, it duplicates the products that were already in the system. Now I have two versions of the same products, each with the same sku (yikes!!!).
Is it possible to import and overwrite (rather than duplicate)?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

davy

Total Posts:  20

Same problem
I use the Excel XML system (full XML import).
Product gets imported correctly but as a duplicate (sku=0980002).
if I also only change the store I would expect that the store view gets adapted (for translations) but i also get a full new product with identical sku.

My store configuration:
Website - Store - Store View (default)
Website - Store - Store View (dutch)
Website - Store - Store View (french)
Website - Store - Store View (german)

Attached is an example file that should import/update 1product (in 4 store views)
a) Every import lines creates a full new product (I expect 1 record for the 4 import lines)
b) Even after a first import, a second import would create new products instead of updating the old ones

Looking at Mysql I find that the table catalog_product_entity has NULL in the SKU column yet the sku value is well referenced in the backoffice (catalog products view) and calling getSku() on the detail page provides me with the correct sku. (I find the value back in catalog_product_entity_varchar (attribute 48))

Any help is appreciated

File Attachments
ExportItems_example.xml  (File Size: 28KB - Downloads: 90)

Magento Community
Magento Community

carsal

Total Posts:  52
Medellin, Colombia

Hi,
Has anyone been able to solve this problem. I am using ver. 1.0.19870.4 and when I try to import to update quantities and prices, I get an new product with the same SKU. I would appreciate it if someone can tell me how to update the prices and quantities via import/export.

Magento Community
Magento Community

carsal

Medellin, Colombia

I think my error has something to do with the fact that I erased the SKU attribute when I started tinkering with Magento. I then created it again, but I think it is not linked to the eav_attribute table and the catalog_product_entity sku field, as this last field is empty. Might this be the problem and can it be fixed without starting from scratch as I already have a lot of info on the db.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bonaventure

Total Posts:  29

I submitted a ticket to Magento and they replied that Magento does NOT support the feature listed above. In other words, updates to image attributes will always result in new images (with appended names), even if the image has not changed at all.
I was recommended to their core of partners to look for a solution.
It can’t be that difficult to correct this. If I could locate the actual file that controls the MySQL import, I could modify it myself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Magento Community
Magento Community

carsal

Medellin, Colombia

@Bonaventure,
My problem is not with image attributes, but with product attributes. I am just trying to update prices and quantities which I believe is a supported feature, or at least should be.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mayerwin

Total Posts:  182
France

Bonaventure - 07 August 2008 07:21 AM

I submitted a ticket to Magento and they replied that Magento does NOT support the feature listed above. In other words, updates to image attributes will always result in new images (with appended names), even if the image has not changed at all.
I was recommended to their core of partners to look for a solution.
It can’t be that difficult to correct this. If I could locate the actual file that controls the MySQL import, I could modify it myself. Does anyone have any suggestions?

What? Does it means that if we just want to update a product, it will duplicate the associated image again and over again?

Actually it is what happens to me right now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

barrmy

Total Posts:  102

i have the same problem, and was wondering if someone had a solution....

Magento Community
Magento Community

mayerwin

Total Posts:  182
France

Hello,

A solution was posted there: [url]http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewreply/75775/[url]

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community