Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

MagentoLite

tman_f

Total Posts:  85

Hi guys,

I am so impressed with Magento’s templating engine I would like to use Magento for a general purpose dynamic website, that is not necessarily a store. I was wondering, is there a way to use the Magento framework/template engine without the “store” overhead or without gutting the template engine all together?

Is it possible to just disable modules and call Mage::run() as type=’website’? Or is it a one-way configuration?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

I think it is possible to experiment by leaving only these modules active: Core, Page, Directory, Cms, Admin, Adminhtml

Magento Community
Magento Community

tman_f

Total Posts:  85

Thanks Moshe, yes you are right. With those modules active I was able to achieve a “Lite” form of Magento. Which by the way, works great. I thought I would note here in the case that somebody else would like to do the same thing, in addition to disabling the majority of all modules, the IndexController inside the adminhtml/controllers must be modified to redirect the initial admin view. Without this, the page will be directed to display the sales graph information. Since the sales module is disabled, the output will throw empty object errors.

Overall, it was a simple procedure. Thanks again Moshe and the Magento team.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

you know, its funny, i was just thinking about giving this kind of thing a try the other day (though i hadn’t thought too hard about how).

i was actually thinking of doing some overly complicated and unusual things to the shop templates, and using each product as a cms page, if that makes sense. then i could have two sets of cms, one with dynamic tree categories and one without (like posts pages in wordpress).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community