Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Update Magento To A Newer Version Without Wiping Out The Database? 

beazleybub

Total Posts:  28

This may have already been asked and if so please point me to the right direction.

Is there a way to update version changes with Magento without wiping out the mysql database and configuration?

If I had customers, products and preferences in my current Magento installation
this would be a real pain to have to do every time there was a platform improvement.

Thank you smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

you can do it right now, the updates are supplied with <db_type>-upgrade-<from_version>-<to_version>.sql files that used to upgrade current version of modules db structure.

All the module versions are stored in `core_resource` table per module, and if these versions are lower than ones in the code, Magento will look for these update files and apply them, updating current version of modules in database.

Also i would like to mention that module / design package management is in the works, that will provide web admin interface for upgrades.

Magento Community
Magento Community

beazleybub

Total Posts:  28

Thanks for the quick reply and explanation Moshe.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BeyondDesigns

Total Posts:  3

Too old to mention now

Magento Community
Magento Community

BeyondDesigns

Removed*

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I think you should hold off on Magento for now.  I am running an osCommerce store at the moment, and my boss (as well as myself) desperately wants something new, and Magento looks like it’s going to fit the bill nicely.  Originally we looked at BakeSale, but it’s missing a whole lot of very important features, and development seems to be very slow.  I stumbled across Magento 2 weeks ago, and I’m getting ready to give my boss a presentation on it to convince him that this is something worth doing, but that we need to wait for a stable release.  I’m going to use the time between now and then to familiarize myself with how Magento works, because it’s vastly different than osCommerce.  When there is a stable release of Magento, I should be comfortable enough to start building a new site based on it.

That said, I can certainly understand your desire to use it now.  Also something that everyone should keep in mind, especially those coming from osCommerce.  Even though Magento is beta software and not suitable for production use, so is osCommerce.  Yet thousands of people use osCommerce, some for rather large sites.  The base code isn’t too bad, but you have to install dozens of contributions just to get what I would consider basic functionality.  A large percentage of contributions for osCommerce are poorly written and full of bugs.  Plus there are compatibility issues when you try to install two different contributions that mess with the same core code.  It creates a very unstable situation.  I have my osCommerce site working for the most part after years of frustrations and sleepless nights.  There are some key things that I really need to get working on osCommerce that Magento has by default, but at this point I am afraid to touch it any more.  I’m going to wait it out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

You’ve sold your client on Magento, as have I.  Now you have to convince them to be patient until the early new year.  Using the current release in a live environment is irresponsible.  Way too many bugs and features in the works to create anything reliable that won’t be dated 2 months from now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Roy Andre

Total Posts:  209

Although we are very carefully following the development-steps for Magento, we are still installing Os/ZenCart for our customers - and we wont even mention Magento for them until Varien has released a Stable-version. My recommendation is that you all do it like that to your clients.

An alternative is ofcourse to tell them that you wont have an ecommerce-system up running until around 6 months.

Magento Community
Magento Community

BeyondDesigns

*Sorry had to remove due to NDA*

Magento Community
Magento Community

fromTheRiviera

Total Posts:  4
Nice France

I spent some time on OSCommerce then found it was not evolving and switched to zencart since 1.37.  They have recently released 1.38 and to be honest the shop is stable and the admin module easy to configure.  Lots of addons available too.
I.m sure if you install it without the demo shop and fill in your own catalog , you can have it up and running in a weekend.

I look forward to moving to Magento if it evolves into a truly multi lingual, multinational and multicultural e-commerce solution.
zencart does not even know that ‘europe exists when you install it...Closest you can get is US ARMED FORCES EUROPE ..
Multi lingual interfaces are a must too in europe .

Thats why I have high expectations of Magento !

Please make Magento a truly worldwide solution when it comes to default currencies, date formats, and please don’t make all the good functionality an optional non supported add on like zencart when 99 % of your userbase requires it !

I have magento locally and am in process of evaluating it for future use. First impression is that the look and feel is really nice and intuitive.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chaddro

Total Posts:  25

ZenCart is now on 1.3.8 with ver 2.0 coming in the new year with php5 support required. I have built several zencart shops for clients and they have been mostly happy. The templates are easy to make and modify. If you need a quick eCommerce solution, let Zen fill the gap until Magento matures to a stable product.

I stumbled onto Magento the other day, and am excited by this release. It provides many features that are either not available in Zencart, or only through a user created addin ... support for these addins is often sketchy, and not kept up to day with zencart releases.

To my knowledge, the Zencart team has NO plans of doing anything even close the what Magento is attempting, so in the end it won’t really be a competitive product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jhun_Dev

I see a lot of ecommerece program, and as i see the zencart the only thing that is not good with it is the subcategories. For me i prepare Magento to develop.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jhun_Dev

I see a lot of e commerce program, and as i see the zencart the only thing that is not good with it is the subcategories. For me i prepare Magento to develop.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TheChickenShed

Hi
im new at this could someone tell me how to update to the newest version with ALL stes included?
thank you smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

mandurah

Total Posts:  20
Mesa, AZ (USA)

Just as the ChickenShed inquired. I’m also new and can’t locate instruction specific to applying Magento updates. There’s plenty of information regarding installation, which is what I get in my query returns when I do ‘how to Magento update’ searches (posts from 2007 and 2008 seem popular, and this forum string here). I’m know its a normal practice for the regular Magento developer, but could use some clarification/specific page for updating for some new users out there.

Thanks in advance to whoever can help us out. - regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

mandurah

Total Posts:  20
Mesa, AZ (USA)

I found a wiki (of course after a few days looking, and right after I make a post here I find the instruction needed...): How to upgrade Magento wiki

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2