Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Multi-site capability

Wildahunden

Total Posts:  1

I have a client that sells products that are of interest to consumers and also to businesses (emergency preparedness products).  He wants to have one site with a look and feel geared toward consumers. He wants to have another site geared toward businesses with a different look and feel.

But, he wants to have only one catalog of items to maintain because he wants it to integrate with his POS system (import/export of order info) so the quantities stay current.

Can Magento handle this?

If so, are there any magento consultants in Austin, tx I can work with for this implementation?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cloudquarry
Guru

Total Posts:  528

Magento can definitely handle this. I just set up a site for a client last week with one administrative console and that supports two websites: a retail store, and a wholesale store. They even use the same catalog of items, just with different prices and descriptions per store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cabbagehead

Total Posts:  3

Can Magento *community edition* handle this?  I just heard back from a sales person at Verian saying this is an Enterprise-only feature.  Confused though cuz I don’t see anything suggesting it is an EE feature on the site.  When I play with the Community demo though yeah, I can’t locate a way to configure additional stores, so maybe he’s right?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cloudquarry
Guru

Total Posts:  528

Multi-store and multi-website functionality are very much baked into the essential functionality of Magento Community.

Here’s a starting point to look through:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/overview-how-multiple-websites-stores-work

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anatinus

Total Posts:  16

This post is exactly what I am attempting to do. However, I am a little confused by the terminology of Magento. I want multiple domain names that share one cart. My understanding is that this is possible if you use 1 \"website\" with different \"stores\". The stores can all have different/unique urls (ie store1.com, store2.com, store3.com etc). Is this correct? If so Magento really confuses the hell out of me with the terminology websites vs stores, good lord.

Lets assume I have it right above. My understanding is that I would only need one SSL certificate for the \"website\" even though I would have multiple domains as stores. Correct?

Now on to problem 2. Duplicate content. My products would be on multiple websites. Ksolaro said \"They even use the same catalog of items, just with different prices and descriptions per store.\” I am assuming the product descriptions were edited to avoid duplicate content. I have 40,000 skus. Each will appear on at least 2 websites. How in the world do I avoid duplicate content? I could say screw it and just put everything up. If I did how much would the duplicate content hurt me?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cabbagehead

Cool - thanks for the info!  Wonder why the sale guy said otherwise (?).

Anyway, two more questions if I may:

Skinning - can each store have a different skin or are skins/themes applied at the website level?  I read somewhere that only a logo can be changed at the store level?

Checkout - Anatinus’s question about is a good one.  I wonder if there is a single ssl per store or per is it per global install?  And, I guess all these stores then dump into the same website or global checkout page in that case?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anatinus

Total Posts:  16

cabbagehead - 17 March 2010 08:25 PM

Cool - thanks for the info!  Wonder why the sale guy said otherwise (?).

Checkout - Anatinus’s question about is a good one.  I wonder if there is a single ssl per store or per is it per global install?  And, I guess all these stores then dump into the same website or global checkout page in that case?

I am getting differring opinions on this one. First, only 1 SSL certificate can apply per IP address. Using this logic you would have 1 install of magento with multiple stores and 1 SSL certificate. However, godaddy is telling me that you have to have a unique ssl per domain; therefore, you would have to split domains into new IP’s which screws up the whole multi domains at the store level. Anyone have a solid answer?

Magento Community
Magento Community

cabbagehead

GoDaddy is correct.  So, what would need to happen - is each of these multi stores would need to empty into the same checkout flow at the same URL, for that to work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Toni Anicic

Total Posts:  69

cabbagehead - 17 March 2010 08:25 PM

Skinning - can each store have a different skin or are skins/themes applied at the website level?  I read somewhere that only a logo can be changed at the store level?

Not only that each store can have different “skin” but you could skin every CMS page out there separately if you wanted.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

The SSL issue is a bit tricky and can be handled a few different ways. 

You would need an IP address for each domain that you wanted to assign as SSL Certificate to, which would mean you would most likely need multiple IP’s, which would rule out most shared hosting options.

However - Google offers what is called a UCC SSL Certificate that can be used on multiple domain names -

https://www.godaddy.com/ssl/ssl-certificates.aspx
(see the multiple domains UCC Certificate option)

Unified Communications Certificates (UCC) are SSL Certificates that secure multiple domains and multiple hostnames within a domain. They allow you to secure up to 100 domain names in a single certificate and can consolidate all your secure domains into one certificate.

http://help.godaddy.com/article/3908

You may also find this article on Multiple Magento Store setup of interest;

http://www.crucialwebhost.com/blog/how-to-setup-multiple-magento-stores/

Or just google ‘Magento Multi Store’.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ggchamp

Total Posts:  153

Crucial Web Host - 19 March 2010 08:06 AM

The SSL issue is a bit tricky and can be handled a few different ways. 

You would need an IP address for each domain that you wanted to assign as SSL Certificate to, which would mean you would most likely need multiple IP’s, which would rule out most shared hosting options.

However - Google offers what is called a UCC SSL Certificate that can be used on multiple domain names -

https://www.godaddy.com/ssl/ssl-certificates.aspx
(see the multiple domains UCC Certificate option)

Unified Communications Certificates (UCC) are SSL Certificates that secure multiple domains and multiple hostnames within a domain. They allow you to secure up to 100 domain names in a single certificate and can consolidate all your secure domains into one certificate.

http://help.godaddy.com/article/3908

You may also find this article on Multiple Magento Store setup of interest;

http://www.crucialwebhost.com/blog/how-to-setup-multiple-magento-stores/

Or just google ‘Magento Multi Store’.

Hope this helps!

From my experience the shared hosting wont offer you SSL unless you purchase a dedicated IP.
In reality as much as i luv Magento on a shared hosting it will be way too slow, so anyone interested in a serious use of Magento should be using a dedicated server.
I use servint and am very happy with them but it aint cheap…

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

Total Posts:  114

I am trying to setup a multistore with v1.4.1.1
Everything is setup except I am not sure how to point the 2nd domain to the main site.  Please see my question I posted here:

question posted here

Magento Community
Magento Community

rebeccama

Total Posts:  110

Multi Store and multi Site capability is available in Magento CE i believe. checkout with FME or Aheadworks for Magento custom developement, i have seen them the best.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community