Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Product Category links open 404 page but inserting index.php in url fixes it

degmau5

Total Posts:  4

Hello, I am new to Magento and have recently installed it. My hosting company United Hostings told me to upload all files to the public_html folder, and at first glance after installation is complete, everything looks fine and the homepage is available at www.canvaschimp.co.uk.
I then set about creating two new categories, I followed the tutorials and if you visit the homepage, you can see two categories are there, but both open a 404 page when you click them.
Clicking the first link takes you to http://www.canvaschimp.co.uk/best-selling-canvas-prints.html but you get a 404 error. If you then type http://www.canvaschimp.co.uk/index.php/best-selling-canvas-prints.html this directs you to the category landing page i created in the back office.
Do I have to do something with the index.php file on my FTP site so that these links work without having to insert index.php in the page name in the admin area, or should I host the whole site somewhere else on the FTP

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

66replica

Total Posts:  9

I’m having the exact same problem. Any solution?

Magento Community
Magento Community

degmau5

Total Posts:  4

Try copying the index.php.sample file from your original magento download to your site, I think the file on my site was corrupt and just needed replacing with a clean file. Not much of a technical answer but I am sure this is what did it for me. Also, copy the whole error message you receive and paste it in to the forum search bar, I am sure I found the answer on there and it could give you more help if this fix does not work for you

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community