Magento Forum

Upgrading to 1.4x The Manual Route

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1077
London, United Kingdom

Here are a set of steps ive followed to upgrade a store.

Please note: This is all done via ssh onto the site itself. I dont use the magento connection util. As ive never had much success with it

Anyway..... I thought I would add this as ive noticed people having quite a few issues trying to upgrade an existing store.

please note: This is not a foolproof method. But ive dont this twice now on an existing store based on 1.3.2.4

This set of steps essentially blows away your current site and replaces every file for the magento shop with the latest version. I think most issues with upgrades are caused when trying to force a newer version over an existing installation.

The object here is to essentially start from fresh, except that your existing database will be updated. Which is to me the most important part. As I can easily add most customization back to the site. As I move through the testing.

I cannot stiplulate enough that you should first have an exact copy of your production site setup and run these steps against it first. That way you can validate that the upgrade will work. Never upgrade against your live/production website without first doing a test against a backup version of your site.

Also, there is an excellent post from crucial http://www.crucialwebhost.com/blog/setting-up-a-magento-staging-area/ that documents another way to do an upgrade.

If you have any questions please feel free to post, ill try and help out where/when i can

flush cache

rm -rf var/cache/ var/session/ var/report/

Backup files from public_html/magento directory

tar -zcf filename.tar.gz

Backup mysqldb

mysqldump mysql_database_name -u mysql_user_name ---single-transaction dump_file_name.sql

Note: please make sure you copy the database and the current backed up site to your local machine, or to another place on the server. That way you have a place to recover files. better yet. most hosting packages have built in website backups. Please do a backup before proceeding

Make sure pear is setup and initilized

./pear mage-setup .

Run Pear Upgrade. The sole purpose is to upgrade the “database only”

./pear install -f magento-core/Mage_All_Latest-stable

*** Note before upgrading make sure you have a copy of the local.xml file ***

remove all existing magento files. Yes, you hear me. Remove all existing files. The only caveat to this is the media directory. This can stay. As this is just a repository for all your product images. No code is in this directory!

download the latest version of magento

wget http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/1.4.0.1/magento-1.4.0.1.tar.gz

uncrompress

tar -zxvf magento-1.2.0.1.tar.gz

Note: The above will uncompress into a magento folder.

move the files extracted from magento into the public_html folder. or the root website folder

\mv -f magento/* magento/.htaccess .

set permissions

chmod o+var var/.htaccess app/etc

initialise pear

./pear mage-setup .

now since all your files are new, you need to go into the app/etc folder and create a new file local.xml
copy back up the local.xml file you had save over this file. This essentially sets the connection back to the existing database

Try and run the site. You now should see the default magento template on the site.
Check you database. It should now have the base install with all your existing data

Now copy to the site your skins and templates folders for your files. Also any local code customizations

Then add any extensions back. An example being:

./pear install magento-community/Fooman_EmailAttachments

Well I hope this works for you. Its a long winded approach. But at least it means my files are the latest version of magento.

hope this helps out someone trying to upgrade

brendan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community