Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

McMasterandStorm.com - Magento 1.0 - Custom Design/Showoff

howellnick

Total Posts:  13

I’ve been working with Magento since its first beta. Been enjoying it ever since. This was my first time making an e-commerce site and for a client at that. Just launched the site roughly 24 hours ago and the clients are very pleased with it.  The site is somewhat different than your traditional store in that to browse the store all the items are shown on one page.

Here it is:
http://mcmasterandstorm.com

Just wanted to show off more or less, haha. Enjoy grin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mott

Total Posts:  47
Los Angeles, CA

Well it looks nice, but the navigation and to find anything takes a bit. I couldn’t find a search feature either. Another positive though is that if the customer isn’t a savvy shopper the nav will work for them, because they can just look for their items. Which is a interesting approach.

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

Hello, you have done a lot of work and design changes compared to the usual layout. You have come up with a original site that has a nice rural atmosphere about it. 

However, you should look for a better web host (faster) for Magento? Right now the site is too slow.

Also, as a customer I would like to see more and bigger pictures of each product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

It’s very un-magento, for that, I kudos you smile

Agree with other about the speed, also, I think you may like to rework your ‘king and queen font’ - perhaps increasing the letter space, it’s too hard for my eyes (and I am not old but stare too long hours on my screen), the word as a whole, the readability is very poor.

Some typefaces are simply not suitable for the web.

Magento Community
Magento Community

etho201

Total Posts:  85
Summerville, SC

Well it seems to load pretty fast for me… It’s 1:25 AM so maybe it’s because there isn’t much traffic at the moment? The site looks pretty creative.

I recommend changing your favicon.

Magento Community
Magento Community

howellnick

Thanks for comments and feedback. I appreciate them smile

Sadly, I do have to agree with the speed of the site. It isn’t what I was hoping for obviously but I suppose that’s what you get when hosting on a shared server. The “Peek” page is mainly the only very slow page but the client can live with that (until they decide to get a dedicated server).

The “king and queen” font used in many of the buttons are actually hand drawn so I couldn’t easily make changes to them. The clients use this text all over the place on other things so there’s no way to get them to change it. I appreciate your concern though smile

The use of only one image (and a small one at that) was, again, a request by the client.  Deleted the favicon while I was at it…

And thanks for the “un-Magento"-ness comments. I enjoyed tearing apart the templates making it. Getting away from the default template was nice.

The site has been bringing in significant sales and the clients couldn’t be more pleased with it so far. Go go Magento!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim413

Total Posts:  11

Do the pages load slow because of the server or Magento? Also, if this site was on a dedicated server, how much faster would the pages load?

Tim

Magento Community
Magento Community

DDMAN

Total Posts:  179

Site loads great for me. It’s the middle of the day so I think it’s ok. Peek was a little slow (3-4 seconds). Design is very different. It has a home feel to it. Here’s a question… How long did it take you to create the new theme/template? I’ve been wondering that myself as I prepare for a redesign that I want to do in Magento.

Great job doing something a little different and out of the box. I would agree with others that from a web design and usability perspective it isn’t the best. However, I can understand requirements from a client that force specific things.

Best of luck and let me know how long it took

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

i love how complete your theming is and how nice the item browsing looks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mrjohnnycake

Total Posts:  35
Arcata, CA. USA

@ Seigel

As of today the site is loading just fine on my computer and I find the design to be quite unique (although I would say to throw in more colors.

Seigel, you should check your own work before knocking others.  This person clearly spent a lot of time on this site whereas yours looks like your basic osCommerce installation.

This should not be a place to act rudely.  If you have nothing good to say then don’t say it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cibernoid

Total Posts:  208

Altough I must admit this design does not fit entirely my tastes when it comes to colors and layout, I do really appreciate its originality and high-level of costumization.

Magento Community
Magento Community

howellnick

@ Tim413

The slow page load times are most definitely because of the server. It’s on a $10/month 1and1 shared server so I would advise that anyone launching a Magento store to not use shared hosting if you are expecting much traffic. I have the site running locally on my computer but it speeds along happily unlike the live version. I have been looking into virtual private servers a bit and I’m eying http://www.slicehost.com. I think moving the site onto a 256slice would be a huge improvement (plus I could use caching, ect.)

@ DDMAN

I would say roughly 20 hours or so. However, this was my first time and I’d expect I could do it again in half the time easily because of the learning curve of the template system.  Mock-ups of each page were made by the client so all I had to do is slice it apart in PS.

@ Ron Seigel

I do not think the design is poor from a functionality standpoint. The root cause is the server (which I realize now isn’t very good to run Magento on). Caching on the “Peek” page would solve the issue (which unfortunately I do not think is possible on my host).

@ others

Thanks for complements on the site—very appreciated smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community