Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Import a CSV File? 

TJNevis

Total Posts:  40

I am reposting this because no one has answered my other post...I have always gotten responses.  Please help!

I have been searching on how to import products into Magento, trying everything I can think of.  I made sure the values are in “quotes”
and that the csv file is saved in UTF-8.

This is a test product I am trying to import

"Default","123","TEST","12.95","6.95","Test Product IMPORT 1"

I have selected Default in the profile where it says “(Products will be added/updated to this store if ‘store’ column is blank or missing in the import file.)”

I have put the store attribute as the first attribute to map, but the attached image shows when I took it out of mapping, in hopes the profile would use the Default store selected in the above paragraph. (non-default mapping)

I have also tried exporting what I have in the store now so I can take the headers and change the import profile to use the default headers, without any luck.  I have even tried to import the just-exported csv and that didn’t even work.

This is the error I get, no matter what I try…

Starting profile executionplease wait...
WarningPlease don't close window during importing/exporting data

* Starting Mage_Dataflow_Model_Convert_Parser_Csv :: parse
    * Found 1 rows
    * Starting catalog/convert_adapter_product :: parse
    * Skip import row, required field "store" not defined
    * Processed 100% 1/1 records
    * Imported 0 records
    * Finished profile execution.
Image Attachments
Untitled-1.gif

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

try without placing your values in double quotes
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=1906

or try import after upgrading to the latest version of Magento -ver. 1.0.19870

Magento Community
Magento Community

inyerface

Total Posts:  31

It could be that nobody has responded to yuor inquiry becaus eof the complexity of your question… It seems that you are asking a question about importing but the lingo you are using is calling on someone who knows what it all means.

I’m sure more people would respond if they understood the nature or the question and your anticipated outcome.

Magento Community
Magento Community

conticreative

Total Posts:  38

I don;t find the OP too complex at all. In fact, what the OP is asking is pretty much a run of the kill question and I am surprised he hasn’t gotten an answer.

Magento is a new shopping cart and I had assumed that they would have placed a CSV import feature front and center in their store. Instead, the CSV import is somewhat hidden under the heading “profiles”, which makes no sense. Plus, when you do go to import something, the only thing I see is a “save profile” button, which also does not make sense.

Regardless (it could be because of my unfamiliarity with Magento) , importing a CSV is something Magento should handle with ease but apparently it isn’t.

OP, did you make any progress?

Magento Community
Magento Community

w4yward

Total Posts:  35

I’m having a lot of trouble with this also. There is no quick guide to importing products.

Where I’m getting stuck is on the format of the import CSV file. Should it have column headers in the first row? and what are the mandatory fields? SKU, Name, Description, Price, Weight, Cost ? Those are what I think they should be. Do I have to create categories first, or can I do that after bulk uploading items?

Most people setting up, or transferring to Magento are probably working from an existing POS inventory or another ecom platform. I’m doing both. This lack of documentation of simple product imports is a big barrier of entry, and I consider myself very web/design/programming savvy.

Can anyone point at good documentation about this topic, or share their knowledge?

Magento Community
Magento Community

w4yward

Total Posts:  35

For those of you out there doing this for the first time. Create your first product and then run an “Export All Products”. You’ll get a default file that has all of the headers.

In CSV order they are:

store    attribute_set    type    sku    category_ids    name    url_key    gift_message_available    meta_title    meta_description    image    small_image    thumbnail    custom_design    url_path    weight    price    description    short_description    meta_keyword    custom_layout_update    status    visibility    tax_class_id    qty    min_qty    use_config_min_qty    is_qty_decimal    backorders    use_config_backorders    min_sale_qty    use_config_min_sale_qty    max_sale_qty    use_config_max_sale_qty    is_in_stock    low_stock_date    notify_stock_qty    use_config_notify_stock_qty

Magento Community
Magento Community

teknology

Total Posts:  43

This may be the best bet for the Magento team to support OSC migration since OSC has a contribution called easy populate that exports CSV product info.

Magento Community
Magento Community

digitaldylan

Total Posts:  2

I’m a new user and I found this extremely frustrating so I wanted to post my solution for bulk product importing via csv.

1. Create a csv file using your product data feed. I used Excel to manipulate the fields and reduce the field set to the following. *DO NOT include a header row in your csv file.

-store
-websites
-attribute_set
-type
-sku
-category_ids
-name
-Status
-tax_class_id
-visibility
-Price
-Cost
-description
-short_description
-qty
-is_in_stock
-weight

Here is what my excel fields look like. I’ve included the field titles only for reference. Do not use a header row in your final csv.
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj319/digitaldylan/excel_field_mapping.jpg

2. Login to Magento admin and create a new profile. System > Import/Export > Profile > Add New Profile

3. Adjust the profile settings as follows:

Name = Your Profile Name
Entity Type = Products
Direction = Import
Store = Default (admin) Values
Number of Records = 1
Decimal Separator = . (period)

Data Transfer = Interactive

Type = CSV / Tab Separated
Value Delimiter = , (comma)
Enclose Values In = (leave empty)
Original Magento Attribute = no

4. Now map your csv fields to the Magento database using the ‘Filed Mapping’ wizard. It’s easiest to use the default field names as posted above.

5. Save Profile

6. Select “Upload File’ from the left menu

7. Browse and locate your csv file from your local drive. For some unknown reason there is no “upload” button. Click “save profile and continue editing”. This will safe your csv file to the system.

8. Click “Run Profile” from the left menu.

9. Select your csv file from the drop down menu. If you don’t see your file listed go back and repeat step 7. Once you select the appropriate csv from the drop down you must click ‘’save and continue editing”.

10. Click “Run Profile in Popup” button. A new browser window will launch.

11. The profile should run and deliver a status report similar to the following:

* Starting profile execution, please wait…
* Warning: Please don’t close window during importing/exporting data

* Starting Mage_Dataflow_Model_Convert_Parser_Csv :: parse
* Found 25 rows
* Starting catalog/convert_adapter_product :: parse
* Processed 100% 25/25 records
* Imported 25 records
* Finished profile execution.

12. If profile is successful you should be able to view your new products. Catalog > Manage Products.

Notes:

* At first I tried to import 1000 products but my profile timed out. Reducing the csv to ~100 records seems to work.
* I haven’t figured out how to upload images. I have static urls for all my images on an external (merchant) server but the import system doesn’t seem to recognize them. I suspect I’ll have to dump them into my Magento images folder and set the ‘image’ field with the relevant file path. If you run an export profile for “All Fields” you’ll see that Magento displays the ‘image’ field data like this:  /n/o/nokia-2610-phone-2.jpg)
* Attached is an example csv with 5 rows of product data that you can use as a template.
* If anyone figures out how to import images from a static (external) url it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kazihoid

Total Posts:  1

very informative. it helped me a lot.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bogislaw

Total Posts:  63

Excel does somethin to the CSV that Magento doesn’t like. Try OpenOffice.

Also please see this threads:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6149/P15/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/35303/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bogislaw

Total Posts:  63

For anyone who is interested why there are problems with importing CSV files the following page might be helpful.

http://www.creativyst.com/Doc/Articles/CSV/CSV01.htm

Magento Community
Magento Community

fireworks

Total Posts:  18

Bogislaw - 11 August 2009 05:16 AM

Excel does somethin to the CSV that Magento doesn’t like. Try OpenOffice.

Also please see this threads:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6149/P15/
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/35303/

Excel probably works because of:  “Enclose Values In = (leave empty) ” from above.

From what I’ve seen Excel strips the quotations marks off certain field types.  If the import parser uses quotation marks by default to identify fields to import.  It’s an all or nothing deal.  The end result with Excel is some have quotes and others don’t.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fireworks

Total Posts:  18

Is it possible to get a copy of the template? It doesn’t appear as a download in the thread.

Also, the below seems contridictory.

Here is what my excel fields look like. I’ve included the field titles only for reference. Do not use a header row in your final csv.
AND
4. Now map your csv fields to the Magento database using the ‘Filed Mapping’ wizard. It’s easiest to use the default field names as posted above.

How do you map to fields that aren’t in the file?

digitaldylan - 20 July 2009 08:51 PM

I’m a new user and I found this extremely frustrating so I wanted to post my solution for bulk product importing via csv.

1. Create a csv file using your product data feed. I used Excel to manipulate the fields and reduce the field set to the following. *DO NOT include a header row in your csv file.

-store
-websites
-attribute_set
-type
-sku
-category_ids
-name
-Status
-tax_class_id
-visibility
-Price
-Cost
-description
-short_description
-qty
-is_in_stock
-weight

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj319/digitaldylan/excel_field_mapping.jpg

2. Login to Magento admin and create a new profile. System > Import/Export > Profile > Add New Profile

3. Adjust the profile settings as follows:

Name = Your Profile Name
Entity Type = Products
Direction = Import
Store = Default (admin) Values
Number of Records = 1
Decimal Separator = . (period)

Data Transfer = Interactive

Type = CSV / Tab Separated
Value Delimiter = , (comma)
Enclose Values In = (leave empty)
Original Magento Attribute = no

5. Save Profile

6. Select “Upload File’ from the left menu

7. Browse and locate your csv file from your local drive. For some unknown reason there is no “upload” button. Click “save profile and continue editing”. This will safe your csv file to the system.

8. Click “Run Profile” from the left menu.

9. Select your csv file from the drop down menu. If you don’t see your file listed go back and repeat step 7. Once you select the appropriate csv from the drop down you must click ‘’save and continue editing”.

10. Click “Run Profile in Popup” button. A new browser window will launch.

11. The profile should run and deliver a status report similar to the following:

* Found 25 rows
* Processed 100% 25/25 records
* Imported 25 records

12. If profile is successful you should be able to view your new products. Catalog > Manage Products.

Notes:

* At first I tried to import 1000 products but my profile timed out. Reducing the csv to ~100 records seems to work.
* I haven’t figured out how to upload images. I have static urls for all my images on an external (merchant) server but the import system doesn’t seem to recognize them. I suspect I’ll have to dump them into my Magento images folder and set the ‘image’ field with the relevant file path. If you run an export profile for “All Fields” you’ll see that Magento displays the ‘image’ field data like this:  /n/o/nokia-2610-phone-2.jpg)
* Attached is an example csv with 5 rows of product data that you can use as a template.
* If anyone figures out how to import images from a static (external) url it would be greatly appreciated.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

martin707c

Total Posts:  1

I am new to Magento. I followed the instructions and it worked fine except that it only takes 1 row out of 19…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Found 1 rows
* Processed 100% 1/1 records
* Imported 1 records
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas of what I could be doing wrong?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Joshua Newcity

Total Posts:  4

Hey all!

OK… so I’ve been trying to get my CSV file just right for DAYS now. I see quite a handful of errors while Magento tries to import the file (no matter how I do it - mapped or using headers) - nothing is working.

Two companies I’ve contacted in an effort to GET THIS DONE have mentioned they could manually enter the data into the admin backend (no kidding, so could I) at a reasonable price. I don’t have the time… so I’m leaning towards this.

However, I know importing the CSV file would be MUCH FASTER (and less expensive). One of these two companies is telling me that it cannot be imported because I’m on a shared server (shared hosting) as compared to a dedicated box.

Does that make sense to anyone? It doesn’t to me… not at all! What would having a shared server have anything to do with importing this CSV file in Magento?

Please someone help me… I’d love to be able to import this all on my own… or at least know that I’m making the right decision by moving forward and having this company manually enter the products (all 600 of them).

Thanks a ton,
Josh

Magento Community
Magento Community

globing

Total Posts:  15

hi all,

after i restored a backup for my site the csv isn’t working anymore. after importing a csv i get the following result

* Found 1 rows
* Processed 0% 0/1 records

and it doesn’t continue even after 2 hours..

does somebody know this problem or point me somewhere to look at..

any help would be very appreciated!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2