Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Upgrade to Magento ver. 1.4.0.1 from Magento ver. 1.3.2.4

PradeepKharvi

Total Posts:  5

I have a Magento website in ver. 1.3.2.4, we have already added products in it, now without disturbing any of the data that we have added, i wish to upgrade the Magento to ver. 1.4.0.1

1. How can i do it ?
2. what precaution do i need to take so that my data is not lost ?
3. can i do it from connect manager ? how ?

Please guide me

Regards,
Prad

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

DCAlmeida

Total Posts:  164
PRT

read wiki and the other topics!

Magento Community
Magento Community

calvinallred

Total Posts:  4

I have had fairly good success with updating from the Magento Connect Manager page.  In your Admin go to System->Magento Connect->Magento Connect Manager, select the different packages to update and click Commit Changes.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PradeepKharvi

Total Posts:  5

I solved the problem…

somehow magento connect didnt worked for me, below is what i did to solve the “upgrade to Magento ver. 1.4.0.1 from Magento ver. 1.3.2.4 including products and product images”

1. i had Magento ver. 1.3.2.4 installed on server with database say (magdb1)
2. create a new database at same location say (magdb2) , this i did to avoid taking backup of old database and restore it back
3. copy all old Magento ver. 1.3.2.4 files in some folder say OLD_FILES on same server
4. upload Magento ver. 1.4.0.1 files on server root and install it in a normal way using new database (magdb2)
5. above give me new version of magento without any problem, but i need my old data and product data, so to get that i did following

6. open app/etc/local.xml file and change database name from magdb2 to magdb1, such that you are restoring your old database, changing database name in local.xml file will let magento 1.4.0.1 use you old database

7. now go admin and check you will notice you have all your categories, attributes, products, back, but when you see the frontend you will notice product images are not visible… to get your product images back, i did following

8. product images are stored in media/catalog/products folder… as you have already backup of magento ver 1.3.2.4 media folder in OLD_FILES folder

9. before restoring old media files, go ahead and add a simple product in new installation (magento ver 1.4.0.1), by doing this magento will create the various folder hierarchy needed in media folder like :
media\catalog\product\cache\1\image\9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95,
media\catalog\product\cache\1\small_image\135x\9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95 ,
media\catalog\product\cache\1\thumbnail\56x\9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95, etc

10. by doing above step i try to find out the folder name with some unique key like “9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95”

11. in my old media backup this key (9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95) will vary and in my case it was “5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d”, this key folder name will vary in your case too…

12. so in OLD_FILES backup folder, find media folder and replace this folder name (5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d) with new key (9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95).. such that the hierarcy now become something like i mentioned above in step 9

13. now move the products folder from “OLD_FILES/media/catalog/product” to “/media/catalog/product”, this will give you all your old products images back (image, small_image, thumbnail)

14. in new version i have notice change in naming convention of some image folder , for example
“media\catalog\product\cache\1\small_image\135x135\9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95\p”
is now named as
“media\catalog\product\cache\1\small_image\135x\9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95\p”,
so make that changes in new installation media folder at appropriate hierarchy

15. now go to admin and refresh cache (not needed though)

16. go to front end and you can see all product images back.... success.....smile

hope this help you all as i spent lot of time figuring this and if you know a better way to do above do let us know…

(pls dont ask to read wiki or forum, if you do pls provide appropriate urls smile )

Regards,
Pradeep Kharvi

Magento Community
Magento Community

march hare

Total Posts:  41

really helpful post Pradeep, I wil give that a try out. There are many bugs in the old version, which are claimed to be fixed… an upgrade appears to be worth doing, if it does not cause more trouble than it fixes.

I am ineterested to know if you have found any problems since your last post.

Thanks grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

davidDWQ

Total Posts:  149
Querétaro, México

After trying several things to upgrade magento ver 1.3.2.4 to 1.4.0.1 in my local server this has been the only one that has worked, many thank for this post Pradeep Kharvi.

Cheers!
David

Magento Community
Magento Community

ericbb

Total Posts:  6

I get to point 7. there i get the message i need to reindex. i try so but only the 3rd, 6th and 7th category gets reindexed. the rest fails. And that means i got stuck because no buttons work any more. I am trying to find the solution for the reindex problem… any suggestions?

by the way, this methode doesn\’t create the catalog_product_index_* tables. I copied those from the freshy installed database.

Update:

You need to ocopy the following tables from the fresh 1.4 database tou your upgraded database:
catalog_eav_attribute
all catalog_product_index_* tables
catalog_product_bundle_stock_index
catalog_product_relation

after I did that I could reindex everything. That did not dolve the problem of non-sesponsive buttons though..:-(

Eric

Magento Community
Magento Community

davidDWQ

Querétaro, México

Does it send you an error message or have you checked in the admin to see the categories and they’re not there? If it just failed in the front-end that’s normal because you have to rebuild your theme… well i’m just guessing what your problem is. In my case this method worked marvelously.

Cheers
David

Magento Community
Magento Community

ericbb

Hi David, thank you for your reply.

when i get into the admin, I can click what i want, no button is responsive at all. So I get stuck on the dashboard. I solved the reindexing, see the update of my first post.

I can work around a bit with typing in the urls, but still i come to a point where i cannot add a product for instance.. basically I can do nothing…

the frontend problem i understand, since i have no media directories yet, I cannot transfer my media…

Eric

Magento Community
Magento Community

lividinstruments

Total Posts:  64

This worked for me for the most part. I am coming up with a few snags…

1. Not all categories are working. I get an error when clicking on them. I have sucessfully remade 2 of them but one just doesn’t like me.
2. Search doesn’t work. Nothing comes up?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ericbb

lividinstruments - 08 April 2010 10:09 AM

This worked for me for the most part. I am coming up with a few snags…

1. Not all categories are working. I get an error when clicking on them. I have sucessfully remade 2 of them but one just doesn’t like me.
2. Search doesn’t work. Nothing comes up?

did you see my suggestions about adding database tables?

Magento Community
Magento Community

davidDWQ

Querétaro, México

If the very simple solution proposed by Pradeep Kharvi didn’t work for you, then you should try one of these from the wiki:

Upgrading Magento 1.3.2.4 to 1.4.0.1

Cheers
David

Magento Community
Magento Community

lividinstruments

Total Posts:  64

Thanks for the replies. After fixing most of it, I come to find Paypal doesn’t work with 1.4. We use Website Payments Pro and Standard. Warning to anyone thinking of upgrading!

Magento Community
Magento Community

otzstzzn
Mentor

Total Posts:  1071

http://rackspeed.de/forum/magento-faq-installation-and-updates/fatal-error-call-to-a-member-function-setquote-on-a-non-object-abstract-php-142-a-472

Magento Community
Magento Community

davidDWQ

Querétaro, México

Vielen Dank!

So it means, to create a folder under template and erase a layout! So now a layout it\’s going to be a template? Weird isn\’t?

Cheers
David

Magento Community
Magento Community

businessblackbelt

Total Posts:  9
USA

upgrading from 1.3.4 => 1.4.0.x is a joke! I have a very simple store, with few modifications and have been unable tp successfully upgrade to the latest version of Magento either trough Magento Connect or via ssh/pear.  Can anyone tell me if Magento Connect will eventually be fixed to allow this upgrade to happen?

Here is the error that I get when trying to upgrade via Magento Connect:
magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/sql/core_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.8.18-0.8.19.php” - SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table ‘core_variable’ already exists

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2