Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to fix CSS in the Modern Theme with 1.4

sterg17

Total Posts:  94

Hi All,

I upgraded my site - and all went well using the instructions from this forum.

But why is my CSS all messed up? I recopied all the 1.4 files over the 1.3 files and this is what my site looks like.

Why is the CSS all messed up?

Image Attachments
Picture1.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

asif_hop

Total Posts:  21

Hey mate,

I had the same problem with my modern theme after upgrading to 1.4.0.1.

I took a look at the files for a new installation of 1.4.0.1 and noticed that all the files that used to be in the “default” folder are now in the “base” folder.  But on my upgraded installation, I still had all the files in the default folder.  I resolved it by replacing the “default” and “base” folders in the APP section by using the files from the download of a fresh 1.4.0.1.  I did the same for the SKIN section.  Try that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sterg17

Total Posts:  94

No - that didnt help me, because my files were already correct.  The way I upgrade is I took my existing install of 1.3 and copied the fresh install files of 1.4 over the 1.3 files.  So all the files are in the right place or were overridden by the right ones.

The CSS is stil like that i,e, the web page is not centered.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jklina

Total Posts:  82
Philadelphia PA

I had this same problem. It turns out that my custom theme was built on the 1.3 default theme. It seems that in 1.4 they scrapped the old default theme and recoded it in a different way. So when my custom theme when and tried to fall back on the default theme files it was using files that are different and they didn’t play nice.

To fix this temporarily, I renamed the /app/design/frontend/base folder to /app/design/frontend/base.bak to get it out of the way. I then renamed /app/design/frontend/default/default to /app/design/frontend/default/default.bak to get that out of the way. I then put the 1.3 default theme back in /app/design/frontend/default/default so that my custom themes would fall back on the files that it knows and loves. This seems to be working for now, though it will probably be wise to recode any custom themes to jive with the new theme files.

As for the modern theme, I’m just assuming that they haven’t released a version that jives with the new theme files yet, so its probably looking for the old 1.3 default theme to build off of itself.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jklina

Total Posts:  82
Philadelphia PA

Actually, it looks like you don’t even need to rename the base folder, rename the default folder and replace it with the 1.3 default theme.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community