Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Problem with configurable products

itguru

Total Posts:  9

Hi

I’m having a bit of a problem setting up a configurable product based on several simple products. Everything was going well until I got to around 15 simple products. Once I exceeded that I encountered some odd behaviour:

Initially I got a 500 internal server error, I found a solution on the forums which said to de-associate the simple products and then re-associate them. This initially worked but then the following things happened:

I only had half the simple products associated
Some of the ones that were associated had no prices assigned
I assigned prices and then re-associated them, then couldn’t display the page
I then lost all the associated simple products from the dropdown list

Each time I de-associate and re-associate the simple products I get one or more of the above occur, I can never seem to get all them displayed as they should be. I currently have 39 simple products to associate, but will have another 200 or so before i finish!

My site is hosted by 1 and 1 but I don’t think the problem is with them.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or something I am doing wrong! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is there a better, faster way of doing this, maybe by entering the details into a spreadsheet and then somehow importing that into the database?

Many thanks
Mark

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tiff

Total Posts:  107
Upstate NY

I am able to add 26 drop-down simple products within my config product without any errors (alphabet / monogram options.)

Perhaps you’re not creating the simple products properly?

Do you do it from the “Associated Products” Quick-Create within the config. product?

Magento Community
Magento Community

itguru

Hmmm, well initially I was creating simple products using the full process, but about halfway through I realised you could do it quicker by the way you suggest so I started doing that. Could it be having a mixture of the two could be causing the problems?

Thanks
Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community

itguru

Update: I read somewhere that it could just be a performance issue with 1 and 1 shared hosting, so I setup a new account with SimpleHelix and it all seems ok now!!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community