Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Since upgrading to 1.4.0.0 and 1.4.0.1, dropdown for custom attributes no longer work on product page

cnymike

Total Posts:  27

The problem started once I upgraded to 1.4.0.0 and continues with 1.4.0.1

I have configurable products with associated products. A custom product attribute is also in use.

This all worked fine prior to Magento 1.4.0.0.

Both 1.4.0.0 and 1.4.0.1 have broken the attribute drop down from working.

If I reindex everything and clear all caches the drop down attribute value list displays one time. But any subsuquent products viewed will not display the dropdown list of attribute values when clicked on when in the product page. However when viewing the source code of the page, I can see that the attribute value list does exist. So it is not being invoked on the product page when the attribute is clicked on. I do not have any extension installed thus can rule out a third party conflict of any sort.

I had installed this via a Simple Scripts installation thus must assume it was installed correctly.

I’ve got a screencast here demonstrating the problem http://bit.ly/ayqlnf

Seems like it could be a js issue

Please help me with this. My site is completely dead in the water because of this issue.

File Attachments
product-configuration-magento.txt  (File Size: 3KB - Downloads: 187)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Tomakun

Total Posts:  77

I’ve been having the very same issue and cleared it. Now, this is definitely a Javascript problem but this issue is not coming from version 1.4 but from your theme not being compatible with 1.4. As for anybody reading this thread, you should review your themes completely using the default theme included in 1.4, and start over a 1.4 compatible theme from scratch! Otherwise you won’t get over it and your store will continue to break as updates goes.

Magento 1.4 isn’t causing your store to break, your theme is. Anyone not having a 1.4 compatible theme ready should not upgrade to 1.4.

Now back to your issue, as far as I’m concerned, I was able to get the Javascript loading properly by removing those lines in catalog.xml, product view section, in block reference head:

<action method="addItem"><type>js_css</type><name>calendar/calendar-win2k-1.css</name><params/><!--<if/><condition>can_load_calendar_js</condition>--></action>
            <
action method="addItem"><type>js</type><name>calendar/calendar.js</name><!--<params/><if/><condition>can_load_calendar_js</condition>--></action>
            <
action method="addItem"><type>js</type><name>calendar/calendar-setup.js</name><!--<params/><if/><condition>can_load_calendar_js</condition>--></action>

Removing those lines should get you back on track. At least it did for me. I hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cnymike

Total Posts:  27

I cannot thank you enough for your insight into solving the problem.

You were absolutely correct. It had to do with the custom theme that I was using. I had cloned the default theme from a Magento version prior to 1.4.0.0, renamed it, made just a few very minor tweaks to it and started using it for my frontend. I never thought that the theme could be causing this issue.

So to test your theory I changed everything in Magento admin Design to defaults and the attribute dropdown started working (except for a new problem which I’ll explain further on). I proceeded to clone the default template from the latest version of Magento 1.4.0.1, applied my changes once again and now the attributes dropdown is working again.

However a new issue appeared… not all the specified attribute values are showing in the dropdown, only some of the values are showing. Now I’ve got to try and figure out what is causing that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tperry

Total Posts:  33

I am having a similar problem. I have added a configurable product but its not displaying on the front end. Its a new site so was a fresh install of magento ver 1.4.0.1 with the 1.4 version of the modern theme. I have tried deleting the lines of code from the catalog.xml but still its not showing up. Its driving me mad now. Any one got time to look or have any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community