Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Weird Import error

Ron Phillips

Total Posts:  57

I’m having mild success importing data. I was actually almost in tears when the image actually imported. And it was so simple ...

Anyway, the import seems to be bombing on the description. I don’t know why, but this is a sample of the description import on one that failed. And when it does fail, it blows up the import window with unparsed html.

"Written by Keith Giffen, Joe Casey, John Rogers, Johanna Stokes, Michael Alan Nelson, Henry Alonso Myers Drawn by Various Cover by Dan Panosian<br>48 pages, full color, $6.99<br>A Boom anthology! In the spirit of the best-selling Zombie Tales and Cthulhu Tales, Boom! Studios turns its attention to Davy Jones\' Locker and the skull & crossbones! Featuring a familiar roster of writers â€“  Keith (52, Annihilation) Giffen, John (Blue Beetle, Rush Hour III) Rogers, Johanna (Cthulhu Tales, Eureka) Stokes, and Michael (War of the Worlds: Second Wave) Alan Nelson â€“ now Joe (Fantastic Four: First Family) Casey\'s jumped aboard and CSI screenwriter Henry Alonso Myers makes his debut in comics! Art is by Tim (Forgotten Realms: Homeland) Seeley, War of the Worlds: Second Wave artist Chee, Fabio (DE:Tales, Zombie Tales) Moon, and a host of the business\' best! Prestige format, squarebound,48 pages."

I realize after importing a couple that I probably won’t need to add slashes.

One bug I found is that even though I made the SKU value not required, the import will not let me import without one. Lucky me, my client doesn’t use a SKU system. I guess because they have other codes to track by, none which are in their current site’s system.

Maybe I should convert the descriptions to htmlentities? I don’t really see what could be blowing it up, unless there’s a soft limit on the size of the field. Dunno?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

ok!! here it goes ...some gotchas on “description” import -
1. Donot surround your description with double quotes
2. Ensure that you store your CSV file in “UTF-8 without BOM” format ( I saved my CSV in ANSI format and struggled for two days to get it imported !!)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community