Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

USPS - Weight, Pounds, Ounces - Shipping Questions, Weights and Handling Fee’s

tagtech

Total Posts:  14

Howdy all:

-============================-
SHIPPING WEIGHT CALCULATIONS AND USPS

Ok in my store I ship widgets.  My widgets fit into a standard #10 envelope.

If a customer orders one widget it weighs 1 ounce or less depending upon thickness of envelope used and will ship for current first class postage at the post office.

If a customer orders two or more widgets then I am over the 1 ounce limit set by the post office and my envelopes become non-machinable.  In person I can usally ship an envelope with two widgets in it and non-machinable for about $0.86 first class mail.  I still find that shipping first class non-machinable is still cheaper than shipping parcel post or priority mail.

I have looked in the forum and found others that have asked what is the default unit of measure for weight used in the shipping modules?  To date I have not found anywhere that anyone specifically indicates what unit of measure is used for shipping.

I make an assumption that it must be pounds . . . this is only an assumption.  Now working from the assumption that the default weight is in pounds, I set up product widget #1 as having a weight of .0625 or 1/16 of a pound.

If I use .0625 as my weight the USPS shipping module does NOT offer First Class as an option for shipping.
If I use .0624 as my weight the USPS shipping module displays that it is not a valid option for shipping to use the USPS shipping module at all.  In fact if I use .0624 as a product weight the shipping module changes the weight to 0.000 when I update the product.

I would like to be able to put in a weight that will allow for shipping of less than an ounce and add the fee for non-machinable envelopes.  If i cannot add the non-machinable fee, I can add that fee by building that into the handling charge.

Recap:

I have only three options selected for USPS shipping: 1) First Class, 2) Priority Mail, 3) Parcel Post
I have a product that weighs less than 1 ounce or .0624 of a pound
I cannot get the shipping module to offer First Class as an option for shipping.
If I use .0624 as my product weight the USPS shipping module becomes unavaliable
If I use .0625 as my product weight the USPS shipping module offers only Priority Mail and Parcel Post as a valid shipping option and does not offer first class.

-===========================-
HANDLING FEE CALCULATIONS

I would like to add $0.75 handling fee per every $6.00 on the product order total. 
I Changed the “Calculate Handling Fee” to Percent
Handling Applied = Per Order
Handling fee = .125

If my theory is correct then .125% x $6.00 should = $.075

I might have the handling fee calcuations correct but I have no idea since I cannot get the shipping weight correct so that it chooses first class mail to allow me to verify the fees.

-=============================

#1) I would like to find out exactally how Magento handles weight and what units of measure are used.

#2) how to set up a product that weighs less than 1 ounce.

#3) I would like to find out how to add “First Class” as a mailing option so that it displays the price for “First Class” until the weight reaches say 4 lbs. - the USPS will quote prices for “First Class” up to 4 lbs., after 4 pounds USPS does not quote a shipping rate.

NOTE:  I know that in my current shopping cart - I had to alter the weight formulas in the code to properly calculate shipping for weight less than one ounce.  I expect that I might have to do the same here.  It would help if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you

TagTech

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community