Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it worth upgrading???

Janaa

Total Posts:  8

I have ver 1.3.2.4 installed and i am wondering if I should upgrade to 1.4 or not..

I have read this forum and if seems like there are many problems when upgrading???

Is it wort doing it? (Site works excellent now, I’m worried to mess it up...)

Ps. What is the easiest way to upgrade - can I just FTP the files over the old ones?

Thanks, Jan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

silverpenhouse

Total Posts:  72
Virginia

Your question indicates a severe lack of technical knowledge and analytical skills.

Considering Magento’s complex nature, my recommendation for you would be to not upgrade.

Magento Community
Magento Community

David Oliver

Total Posts:  177
Cologne, Germany

I guess I agree with silverpenhouse. If you do decide to have a go, make sure you have backups of both all the files on the hosting server and the database.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wervisser

Total Posts:  55

I don’t fully agree with silverpenhouse. I too have the same question. I have implemented a lot of changes to my current Magento installation and have installed the new version in my staging area.

Offcourse there are a few problems with the upgrade, but I have figured them out. And yes, there are some new addons to some features, but I too have a hard time figuring out if it is worth the extra time.

I have read the release notes and a few of them sound interesting, but my major reason to upgrade would be to add configurable items to grouped products. This is however still not possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

Do not upgrade.  Its not as simple as just FTPing some files.  Many people are experiencing problems right now.  At the very least wait until 1.4.0.1 is out.  Also your themes will most likely need to be redone.  There have been a lot of changes in that area this release.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

i’d like to chime in,

upgrading of magento in my exp has never been easy.

Although the magento connect is one tool to use, ive never had any success using this. The main issues i have with magento connect is its requirements with having all files set to 777. This is not really a good practice.

All my upgrade have involved setting up a full copy of the website, then using using ssh overwrite the existing installation files.
Then running a series of tests against the testing site. like placing orders, searching, credits, customer creation.. etc
Once im happy with the testing ill do a complete backup of the website and database and follow the same routine.

there is a good wiki entry by crucial. search on upgrading using ssh by crucial.

hth
brendan

Magento Community
Magento Community

xmivite
Guru

Total Posts:  355

silver, that’s really cold deduction about the OP’s intellect.  i guess, its a fair question for even those that are more familiar with magento and have pretty good technical knowledge… i guess the statement regarding just copying over the files is rather juvenile. However, at least he is smart enough to when and what to ask before he screws the whole deal up.. you should try to exercise a little more tact. these people are here for help.. and i am guessing you are too. I am sure you don’t come here just to reply to noob questions like that....

but yes i agree if you have a production environment and all is well, i see no reason to upgrade, i blew out my whole site.. though i have all sorts of back-ups and i am not running live yet and was attempting to get to the newest.. i am going to get there.. but chances i will keep two site copies in tandem till i go live..

Magento Community
Magento Community

silverpenhouse

Total Posts:  72
Virginia

xmivite you’re correct ... I should have been more considerate.

Janaa, I apologize for my harshness.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community