Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How to make Paypal Website Payments Pro UK work with Magento

joolsr

Total Posts:  99

Hi

After having lots of large and small problems trying to get PayPal Website Payments Pro (UK version) working with Magento and not finding many useful posts on this in the UK forum, I thought I would share my findings.

I did get it to work in the end. The main thing to remember it seems is that Website Payments Pro UK version is NOT the same beast that the US and Rest of World use. This is most of the problem as most of the webforums and help on the web is for the US system. Magento it seems have really done their homework, but the devil is in the detail.

This system allows you to use Paypal Direct: which allows your customers to pay you directly with a credit card without appearing to leave the Magento site. Paypal Express is also part of the Website Payments Pro. This is really just the std Paypal system, where customers are diverted to the Paypal site to pay.

Eventually I got to speak to a Integration Tech support chap at Paypal UK.  They don’t publicise the fact but there actually is a UK based free tech support, but they don’t publicise it on their website at all to stop nuisance calls. Number is 0800 3587911. He actually told me I was the first person he had spoke to regarding integrating PayPay Website Payments Pro with Magento ! He was extremely helpful and very straightforward.

All along, the (sparse) integration notes on the UK part of the UK PayPal Website Payments Pro https://www.paypal.com/IntegrationCenter/ic_uk-pro.html say that you need to link your Website Payments Pro account to the Paypal Sandbox. Seems like a good idea, but after speaking to my chap at Paypal he advised me that the problem I had, ‘Invalid merchant information: 10501-This transaction cannot be processed due to an invalid merchant configuration’ was probably down to the fact the Magento and some other shopping carts do not play that well with the sandbox. The sandbox works fine with Paypal Express testing, as it did for me, but Paypal Direct is based on a completely different system bought out from Verisign (the old Payflow Pro), and was never supposed to work with the sandbox. He didnt have much good to say about the sandbox in terms of support for the Paypal Direct UK system.

So Paypal’s (unofficial) advice is not to bother trying with the sandbox at all !! He did tell me that Magento did spend quite a bit of time working with one of his colleagues last year getting the Paypal UK stuff working well. So I’m sure in Product/Live mode this is fine, but it seems that’s for whatever reason, the sandbox does not accurately mirror the live Paypal system. Your mileage may vary, but the minute I switched it all just about worked fine (see below)

Other useful info. The details you need to add into the Magento config are confusing. Filling it in as you would expect doesn’t work. Instead do this :-

URL; for testing (which I wouldnt recommend, it may work for you though)use https://pilot-payflowpro.verisign.com/transaction
for Production mode, use https://payflowpro.verisign.com/transaction
User Here you put your (Merchant) login name
Vendor Confusingly, here you need to put the Merchant login again, it seems that the user could be different if you have a multiple user setup and then would add a different user in ‘User’
Password just your password
Debug Flag Seems to work in Production mode fine too

Also, don’t forget that all the debug messages for Paypal UK go into table called paypaluk_api_debug in the MySQL database. Quite useful. this info is much more detailed than what is presented on the screen if you get an error.

Lastly, sometime later this year, PayPal are going to ditch the use of the UK system and use the US/ROW system in the UK too which should get rid of most of these annoyances. I asked him if it would mean having to change the Magento config, but he said it would just continue working fine without changing any settings.

One small problem I still have is that although I filled in address details for billing and shipping, that the address hasn’t got captured by Paypal when using Paypal Direct which means that they do not cover you by PayPal’s seller protection policies and programs…

This may be a config error on my part but I can’t see where the problem lies. You still have the customer’s billing address but it doesnt actually go to Paypal. If anyone can help, please do !

I hope this information will save the time I have wasted on going round in circles so long ....

Julian

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

Hi Julian,

I have set up PayPal Direct UK as well, although since I skipped the sandbox testing and just did testing with a live account I didn’t run into the problems you did.

joolsr - 08 May 2008 12:32 AM

Eventually I got to speak to a Integration Tech support chap at Paypal UK.  They don’t publicise the fact but there actually is a UK based free tech support, but they don’t publicise it on their website at all to stop nuisance calls. Number is 0800 3587911.

That’s really good to know, thanks for passing the info on!

URL; for testing (which I wouldnt recommend, it may work for you though)use https://pilot-payflowpro.verisign.com/transaction
Vendor Confusingly, here you need to put the Merchant login again, it seems that the user could be different if you have a multiple user setup and then would add a different user in ‘User’
Debug Flag Seems to work in Production mode fine too

The names used here make more sense when you know that it is possible to set up multiple user accounts to work with the one ‘Vendor’ account (for larger companies, etc).  The default (first) ‘User’ name is the same as the vendor username, but it could be different.  The password is the one unique for that ‘User’, not the ‘Vendor’.

For testing, I used the ‘live’ URL instead of the ‘pilot’ one, but set payments to ‘Authorise’ instead of ‘Payment’ (and then tested with small test payments).

Lastly, sometime later this year, PayPal are going to ditch the use of the UK system and use the US/ROW system in the UK too which should get rid of most of these annoyances. I asked him if it would mean having to change the Magento config, but he said it would just continue working fine without changing any settings.

Also good to know, thanks.

One small problem I still have is that although I filled in address details for billing and shipping, that the address hasn’t got captured by Paypal when using Paypal Direct which means that they do not cover you by PayPal’s seller protection policies and programs…

This may be a config error on my part but I can’t see where the problem lies. You still have the customer’s billing address but it doesnt actually go to Paypal. If anyone can help, please do !

Hmm, I’ll have to check that.  I’ll let you know if I have the same problem.

Cheers,
Ross.

Magento Community
Magento Community

gadgetplay

Total Posts:  30
Basingstoke, UK

Thanks for the advice Julian.

I will no doubt use PayPal Payments Pro UK to set my store up and running.

Magento Community
Magento Community

insight

Total Posts:  58

Great post guys thanks for the advice

Magento Community
Magento Community

craigboi87

Total Posts:  90

i love you man!!! thanks (=

Magento Community
Magento Community

sustainproducts

Total Posts:  2

Hi,

Thanks for the great post - got my Paypal gateway sorted out now!

Thanks
Dave.

www.sustaincycles.co.uk

Magento Community
Magento Community

taken

Total Posts:  2

Other useful info. The details you need to add into the Magento config are confusing. Filling it in as you would expect doesn’t work. Instead do this :-

Great post, thank you. Just a shame I can’t get it to work for me.

You mention that for User and Vendor you should put your Merchant login name.  I don’t have a “merchant” name, only my personal account logon (which is my email address). I have recently upgraded my personal account to a business account but my logon details remain the same. 

I am using the https://payflowpro.verisign.com/transaction URL but keep being told that “There was an error connecting to the Paypal server: Invalid vendor account”

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

taken - 02 October 2008 10:37 AM

You mention that for User and Vendor you should put your Merchant login name.  I don’t have a “merchant” name, only my personal account logon (which is my email address). I have recently upgraded my personal account to a business account but my logon details remain the same. 

@taken - it sounds like you do not have a Pro account.  Website Payments Pro UK is completely different to any other Paypal solution, and does not use an email address as a logon (It is re-branded Verisign Payflow Pro).  Try using the Website Payments Standard payment method instead (which is also used in the UK).

If you look at the PayPal Manager login: https://manager.paypal.com/ you will see that the same details are asked for.  If you can’t log in here, you can’t use Website Payments Pro UK.

I had heard mention of PayPal UK moving to the same ‘Pro’ system as the US (using API key etc), but don’t know what the current status is.

Magento Community
Magento Community

furman

Total Posts:  7

Thanks for the post.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xitch

Total Posts:  54

Sorry to ask questions making you repeat yourself over and over, but when you say the Merchant Log in name is that just the e-mail address I use to log into my Paypal Pro account?  Such as Blank@blank.com?  Or is this something else?

And thank you SO much for explaining this.

For some reason Paypal has given me API details, including a signature, and I had been using that - thank you for explaining to me that it’s useless!  And I agree, Paypal is not very well laid out - especially their help system.  smile

Thanks again

Xitch

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

xitch - 21 October 2008 07:20 AM

when you say the Merchant Log in name is that just the e-mail address I use to log into my Paypal Pro account?  Such as Blank@blank.com?  Or is this something else?

@Xitch - Merchant login for Paypal Website Payments Pro UK is not your PayPal email login.  Refer to my previous post for an explanation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xitch

Total Posts:  54

Ahhh sorry Ross, I missed that link!  I didn’t realise that my Pro would be managed from a different page!  Perhaps I should read e-mails more throughly in the future!  You’ve been great help!  Thank you so so much smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

timur1505

Total Posts:  5

Hi i’m having trouble with this as i use paypal with the same username on another site of mine.

URL:  https://payflowpro.verisign.com/transaction

USER: (Username)

VENDOR: (Username)

DEBUG FLAG: No

I’m using the same username and vendor name on my other website, maybe this is not allowed, i don’t know.

I have tried to add an new API Username but i guess this is wrong as its still not working.

Maybe i can’t have multiple websites on one account.

Any advice would be much apreciated.

Regards
Timur

Magento Community
Magento Community

fleet

Total Posts:  8

This is great information. I do have one question about refunding/credit memos. Does the Paypal Payments Pro (UK) system refund the money on orders cancelled within the Magento admin panel?

Magento Community
Magento Community

dogfoodmedia

Total Posts:  7

>> Does the Paypal Payments Pro (UK) system refund the money on orders cancelled within the Magento admin panel?

Doesn’t seem to work for me, but looking at the source code I think it is supposed to have this feature.

Our new Magento store has been using Website Payments Pro UK for a few weeks now and it mostly works fine. There are a couple of bugs/problems to watch out for though:

1) When taking direct payments (i.e. entering card details on one page checkout), the Total Paid for the order is double what it should be (e.g. £50 instead of £25). Probably not a big problem, but it is annoying.

2) When a customer uses the one page checkout and selects PayPal as a payment option, the order is placed and set to ‘Pending PayPal’. The problem is if you are managing stock then the items are taken out of stock at this stage, before payment is received. If the customer doesn’t complete the PayPal process, or wants to edit their cart, they may go back to the site and find that items are out of stock. Not much fun.

3) Have received an ‘Invalid amount’ error a couple of times when trying to take the Express Checkout route. No idea why.

Good luck! smile

Steve

Magento Community
Magento Community

itwiz

Total Posts:  17

Hi all

It seems paypal have changed something - possibly to bring the UK paypal pro inline with the us version.

Either way I can’t get it working fully.

I can get several methods to pass a transaction to paypal but things like cancel, hold and credit memo dont get communicated to paypal - it just says pending.

Also - whatever method i choose and try when I finish the checkout it skips straight back to the cart and doesnt show me the “order recieved” message

I’d really appreciate any help.
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2