Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Removing demo left/right column graphics

aquiss

Total Posts:  54
United Kingdom

I wonder if anyone with a better knowledge of the file structure can tell me which files would allow me to remove the following files from being displayed?

col_left_callout.jpg (did you know...800 graphic from left col)
col_right_callout.jpg (the back to school graphic from right)

I can’t for the life of me find which files include/call them.

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mcs107

Total Posts:  9

Hi aquiss,

The first graphic you mention, col_left_callout.jpg is called in app/design/frontend/default/yourthemename/layout/catalog.xml, about line 47. Just edit out the graphic name in <src>images/media/col_left_callout.jpg, or better yet, create your own graphic, and name it the same, and then upload it to \skin\frontend\default\yourthemename\images\media

The second graphic is called in app/design/frontend/default/yourthemename/template/callouts/right_col.phtml, and if edited, can be uploaded to the same location as col_left_callout.jpg.

Happy customizing,

Michael (mcs107)

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonahhill87

Total Posts:  8

For some reason I cant remove the “did you know” graphic from the left column. I tried editing out the graphic name, refreshing my cache and it’s still there. I even tried removing the entire <reference> from the xml file and the image is still there. I must be doing something wrong. Any help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pink_uk

Total Posts:  3
Kent, UK

You can comment out the code in the left_col and right_col PHTML files.  It works, but not really in the way I expect you want to.

Magento Community
Magento Community

patricia

Total Posts:  10

That worked for the right column, but for the left column that didn’t change anything.

Impossible to remove the newsletter and the picture !?

Pat.
La chaussure de sécurité

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

Did you make sure you refreshed the cache?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

right. so that code doesnt do anything for the left image. changing the code but not removing the original image results in the original image staying there. if you delete the image, then it just shows an “image can not be found” with the link and alt still being there. so that code edit for the left doesnt do anything.

....trying the right now.

turns out that the left did work but after refreshing the cache it took a bit to show. both sides work with the below method....

The first graphic you mention, col_left_callout.jpg is called in app/design/frontend/default/yourthemename/layout/catalog.xml, about line 47. Just edit out the graphic name in <src>images/media/col_left_callout.jpg, or better yet, create your own graphic, and name it the same, and then upload it to \skin\frontend\default\yourthemename\images\media

The second graphic is called in app/design/frontend/default/yourthemename/template/callouts/right_col.phtml, and if edited, can be uploaded to the same location as col_left_callout.jpg.

Magento Community
Magento Community

xgabo

Total Posts:  40

if your looked at the catalog.xml in the new version, it says “Do not edit or add to this file if you wish to upgrade Magento to newer
* versions in the future.”

I wonder how we are supposed to edit these side columns without messing with the core code?

Magento Community
Magento Community

GadgetCom

Total Posts:  4

I may be wrong here (please tell me if i am) but couldn’t you just edit the pictures to a 1x1 pixel transparent PNG? Then they would just look like background.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AliciaAO

Total Posts:  20

xgabo:
if you make a copy of the file and edit the copy and then place it in your own theme you shouldn’t have any problems. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Here’s how rasberry

http://www.exploremagento.com/magento/moving-removing-callouts-on-the-left-right-columns.php

Don’t forget to turn cacheing off via the admin area.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joepro

Thank you this was very useful.

How do you find the specific file related to editing the image?

On zencart we could search the filename or piece of code and it would list results where it found the file name or code.

Does Magento have something similar?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joepro

Also, is there a way to add a link to the image file?

That would be great!

**edit:
You can place the link before the image code from this file:

app/design/frontend/default/hellouno/template/callouts/left_col.phtml

Magento Community
Magento Community

mansontech

Total Posts:  6

Same problem here. Does anyone have a solution?

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagikSwapna

Total Posts:  97

Hello,

To remove col_left_callout.jpg and col_right_callout.jpg you need to edit catalog.xml file.
Here you can find file - app/design/frontend/default/yourtheme/layout/catalog.xml.
Under <default>---</default> you may find col_left_callout.jpg and col_right_callout.jpg.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pixlhouse

Me too facing the same problem. Does any one have the solution for this?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community