Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Pre-orders

brandondrew

Total Posts:  64

I don’t know if your upcoming backorders feature will handle pre-orders or not, so let me describe what is needed for pre-orders (by me at least, and I’m guessing lots of other people).

The main thing is that the credit card cannot be charged until the product is on the premises.  (As I understand it, this is true by law in California at least, and probably all of the U.S., and probably other places as well.  And even store owners who are not obligated by law to do this will hopefully want to avoid ticking off their customers by charging for things well in advance.)

Because customers will not generally want their pre-order to be separate from all their other orders, the store should separate this charge from a charge for the rest of what they are ordering. 

I believe it may be possible for Authorize.net to store charges for later processing, so if so it would be most helpful if the store handled as much of this processing as possible.  If not, some other way of separating the charge for the pre-order from the other charges and submitting it separately (maybe to a custom gateway?)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Total Posts:  308

In all fairness if you are using Google checkout, you decide how much is charged and when on orders. If you are using paypal then you charge as soon as they pay, because that’s how it works. If your using custom credit card processing then this is fine.

We will need a pre-order setting for products! At the moment it has to be in stock or out of stock. We need a “pre-order” option, as it can be orderd because it will be released on “date” and then it will be instock.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brandondrew

So you mean that with Google Checkout I can specify that product X will not be charged until date Y, and all other products will be charged as soon as ordered?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

In Google Checkout you can “partial charge” at the moment, where you only charge the total for everything you are shipping.

I want to see an actual preorder setting for products in Magento. I think it needs to be put in as it would be useful for so many retailers. At the moment we can’t use Magento until there is a preorder capability.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brandondrew

Yes, I agree that pre-orders are extremely important.  I’m very glad web services and downloadable products are scheduled for 1.1.  With those added, pre-orders is definitely the most important feature still missing, in my opinion.  Hopefully it will be added very soon.  Magento is awesome, but missing a critical feature without pre-orders.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Hopefully if we keep talking about it they will put it in...I would of thought that it isn’t too far from being “do-able” now, as there is a backoder capability...there just needs to be an actual stock setting for “preorder” and perhaps allow us to insert a “released” date which is displayed on the frontend.

Looking at game.co.uk for example, all their items have “released: xx/xx/xx” which suggests that their system shows them as preorders until the date is reached and then shows them as instock.

Hopefully something similar can be created in the end, but for now, just a simple preorder option really would be ideal! (please)

Magento Community
Magento Community

brandondrew

I don’t know if just the pre-order flag is enough, unless they have this working already for back-orders:  when someone adds a pre-order item to their cart, by law (at least where my store is, and probably all of the U.S. if not many other countries) we can’t charge them until the product is in stock.  So to handle pre-orders the charge would have to be partial, and would have to allow us to run the later charge later. 

Are back-orders already doing that?  (I’m not sure if the law applies in the same way to back-orders)

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

If you are using just Google Checkout I don’t think this will happen automatically. But if you set Google Checkout to not “auto charge” then you have to charge your own orders, but it means you can partial charge some.

There, you can say “we do not charge until we dispatch” as you will have to click “charge” and then you know you have charged it and the customer knows you have just packed their item.

Say I bought an item for £25 and another back order for £25. You could go in, see my £50 order. “Partial Charge” me £25 and send that item and then “partial charge” me the extra £25 when you pack the next item. Then archive the order.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brandondrew

Cool.  Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Still waiting for this. It really cant be that hard to just insert another status. “instock” [done] “out of stock” [done] “preorder” [????]

PLEASE!!! We are ready to go live practically and preorders are a MASSIVE chunk of our business. Until this feature is enabled we actually can’t go live.

Magento Community
Magento Community

alistek

Total Posts:  293
Normal, IL

What exactly are you looking to do then, I read through the tread but I wasn’t sure if to go live you only needed the stock status change for preorder’s or if you needed the credit card processing change also for it to automatically hold charges until shipped.

-Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

Just the stock status would do it for now. We are probably going to start by using Google Checkout on the website, this means we can charge customers when we want to, meaning that the whole preorder process works well as customer wont be charged until we process the order for dispatch. Even PayPal is fine, as we will charge buyers but they know its a preorder...this process works well on eBay at the moment and its not too bad. We will probably try to have just Google Checkout though as it is cheaper and great to manage.

Thats it. A new product status. Can we make this change ourselves??

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

Pre-Orders would be a very very very nice feature. Any one know if there is community development on this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vicky P

Total Posts:  92
Devon, UK

I also would like a pre-orders feature

Magento Community
Magento Community

ukdazza
Guru

I think there are loads of us that want it and nobody seems to care lol. I am in talks with a module development company to see if they can produce one for me which will be made available to others but as yet no details have been discussed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

wildwisconsin

Total Posts:  19

If anybody has any information in regards to a working Pre-Order extension I would be much interested. Please contact me.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2