Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Help in Changes from 1.3x to 1.4x. Template Changes. How has it changed? 

ptjedi

Total Posts:  250
Porto, Portugal

Okay, I understand. The problem with creating another package is more files to maintain (multiple ‘default’ themes) if multiple websites are active in the same Magento installation.
What’s strange is that it worked well in 1.3. On other hand I don’t see why you can’t make this possible since it adds an extra layer of depth to template/skin making and prevents the creation of multiple packages.

Thanks Anton, that sure helped to clear up the doubts.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Total Posts:  184
Los Angeles, CA

> The problem with creating another package is more files to maintain
Why? In virtue of fallback to base / default there is no need to create any redundant template or layout file, or css-file in your custom package.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

Hi Anton,

I am still confused as to what the difference is between base and default packages/themes.

It seems that the custom theme still goes under

/skin/frontend/default/MYTHEME (for CSS/Images - and this is based on DEFAULT theme)
and
/app/design/frontend/default/MYTHEME (for Layout/Template files - and this is based on BASE theme)

Correct?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

2 lisali:

The idea is to have

/skin/frontend/YOURPACKAGE/default (template and layout customizations, all required css)
/skin/frontend/YOURPACKAGE/YOURTHEME (images, css adjustmens)
/skin/frontend/YOURPACKAGE/YOUROTHERTHEME etc…

Why would you base on the “default/default” theme? If you want to create a distinctive design theme, use the “base/default” as the base.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptjedi

Porto, Portugal

You are right Anton. I cannot do that though because I am running a 1.3 theme in a 1.4 installation so I need it to rely on the 1.3 default I still have in a separate special package. Everything works ATM (except for widgets) and since I have this on a separate package, I have another package with everything updated to 1.4 where I will build the new themes in the future.

I’m aware of the problems this maneuver can create but I feel they are pretty contained and I simply cannot afford to reconstruct everything in 1.4 theme structure right now and I am planning doing it in a next redesign.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Anton Makarenko - 05 March 2010 05:44 AM

2 lisali:

The idea is to have

/skin/frontend/YOURPACKAGE/default (template and layout customizations, all required css)
/skin/frontend/YOURPACKAGE/YOURTHEME (images, css adjustmens)
/skin/frontend/YOURPACKAGE/YOUROTHERTHEME etc…

Why would you base on the “default/default” theme? If you want to create a distinctive design theme, use the “base/default” as the base.

Anton - the layout and template files can not go into /skin/frontend - they need to go into /app/design - right?

Also, you suggest using base/default as the base - but there’s nothing in that folder to base the theme on. The only CSS file is widgets.css. All the CSS and images are in default folder. On the other hand, for layout/template files, there’s nothing in the default/default folder to base the theme on.

I have based my CSS on:

\skin\frontend\default\default\css\styles.css
And put the modified CSS file in:
\skin\frontend\default\MYTHEME\css\styles.css

For layout and templates, I have based them on:

\app\design\frontend\base\default\layout
\app\design\frontend\base\default\template

and have put the modified files in:
\app\design\frontend\default\MYTHEME\layout
\app\design\frontend\default\MYTHEME\template

Is this correct??
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

lisali - 05 March 2010 07:47 AM

the layout and template files can not go into /skin/frontend - they need to go into /app/design - right?

Whoops, right. I din’t notice the first part of the path. smile

Just DO NOT use the default package, it doesn’t make sense.
To create your own killer theme, do the following structure:

/skin/frontend/your_package/default - for custom css and custom primary images
/skin/frontend/your_package/some_theme - for localized images in example

/
app/design/frontend/your_package/default - for custom layouts and templates
/app/design/frontend/your_package/some_theme - for other custom layouts and templates
(but most likely you won't need the custom themes in your packages at all, unless you want to change functionality of the frontend)

If you are an extension developer and develop functionality with templates/layout files that don’t exist in Magento Core, put them into base/default theme. It guarantees that anyone who installs it on Magento 1.4, will not need to copy these files to his themes in order to make them work at least.

I hope this was clear smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Anton,

I still do not get it.

I am NOT using the default package. I have developed my own theme, that looks completely different, but it’s BASED on all the IDs and Classes of the default package.
What else should I base it on??
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

nar

Total Posts:  30

I have just upgraded to 1.4.0.1 and noticed that the “payment method” box on the order page (in admin) and in the order emails looks messy.  The text is not aligned properly.  Can anyone please tell me what I would have to edit to make it look clean again?

Using modern theme.

Thanks a bunch!

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptjedi

Porto, Portugal

I’m sorry nar, but admin related issues have little (or nothing) to do with template changes and doesn’t really fit in this discussion. You should try reinstalling your core files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hiperjp

Total Posts:  7

Anton Makarenko - 05 March 2010 10:31 AM

/skin/frontend/your_package/default - for custom css and custom primary images
/skin/frontend/your_package/some_theme - for localized images in example

/
app/design/frontend/your_package/default - for custom layouts and templates
/app/design/frontend/your_package/some_theme - for other custom layouts and templates
(but most likely you won't need the custom themes in your packages at all, unless you want to change functionality of the frontend)

If you are an extension developer and develop functionality with templates/layout files that don’t exist in Magento Core, put them into base/default theme. It guarantees that anyone who installs it on Magento 1.4, will not need to copy these files to his themes in order to make them work at least.

Many thanks!, I’ve been searching for this!.

Magento Community
Magento Community

M1_Rootform

Total Posts:  46

Anton Makarenko - 05 March 2010 10:31 AM

/skin/frontend/your_package/default - for custom css and custom primary images
/skin/frontend/your_package/some_theme - for localized images in example

/app/design/frontend/your_package/default - for custom layouts and templates
/app/design/frontend/your_package/some_theme - for other custom layouts and templates
(but most likely you won’t need the custom themes in your packages at all, unless you want to change functionality of the frontend)

Thanks to Anton! But is anyone still slightly confused about what is meant by the parts I have made bold in the above? Please help me to understand. I’ve heretofore placed all of the files I modify in /app/design/frontend/your_package/some_theme and the equivalent in /skin/, so why the split between my packages default and my packages theme?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptjedi

Porto, Portugal

@M1_Rootform

After you created your package directory you place on your /default directory everything that is considered as you ‘normal theme’. If you need to create a variant of that default theme (like a christmas variation) you place your christmas images (new buttons, new background, etc...) in a specific /christmas_default folder, that will override those placed on /default.

If you are not going to use theme variations (themes that only differ a bit from the original) you’ll not need anything like this. Just put everything on your_package/default

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi,

It still does not make sense to me. How is this different to what was in 1.3? My custom theme still goes under default/MYTHEME

??
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptjedi

Porto, Portugal

What Anton is trying to say is that now (after 1.4) it makes more sense not to use /default/my-theme but to use /my-package/default so that your theme variations fallback correctly.

INSTEAD OF:
/frontend/default/default
/frontend/default/mytheme
/frontend/default/mytheme_christmas
/frontend/default/mytheme_halloween

USE:
/frontend/mypackage/default
/frontend/mypackage/default_christmas
/frontend/mypackage/default_halloween

This is because the main files for themes are no longer in /default/default but in /base/default

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community