Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 5
Help in Changes from 1.3x to 1.4x. Template Changes. How has it changed? 

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

In previous upgrade (not since v1.3.2 I think), they used to provide a list of updated files, and different diff files for core, each theme (e.g., one diff for Default, one for Modern). Now they just dump everything in one diff file. Off you go,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ptjedi

Total Posts:  250
Porto, Portugal

I currently employ the following theme hierarchy in our multistore:

All Stores: Default / Default
....... Website 1: mytemplate/myskin_main
............ Store A: N/A
................. Store Front A1: mytemplate/myskin_main
............ Store B: N/A
................. Store Front B1: mytemplate/myskin_variant1
............ Store C: N/A
................. Store Front C1: mytemplate/myskin_variant2

So, according to the login of 1.3 fallback it operates like this:
- The app/design/frontend/default/mytemplate is my custom template scheme that holds only the files I needed to modify. If anything is missing, it falls back to default/default.
- Every storefront links to the same template (mytemplate)
- All Store Fronts look the same except for some pictures and CSS exceptions (color changes to flag the store department we’re in - blue for electronics, yellow for clothing, etc...)
- So, the default Store Front opens with the default custom Skin (myskin_main)
- The other Store Fronts have only the differences but are based in myskin_main (because this skin is the default skin in the website level)

The problem: while the CSS behaves like it should, imagens don’t. Instead of looking into the default/myskin_main it is looking directly into base/default, ignoring the next in the chain.

In 1.3 this would work flawlessly. Is this a bug or is it normal in 1.4?

Magento Community
Magento Community

John Swaringen

Total Posts:  13
Fort Worth, Texas

Frustrating isn’t the word.  I spent weeks developing a custom theme for a client, only to have the whole thing break the week before we presented it to them.  Frustrated doesn’t come close to expressing that.  It’s cost me money!  And of course there isn’t any docs on HOW it changed.

I would really like to see the designers guide updated for this.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to do that BEFORE releasing a version.  As a paid developer I wouldn’t think of doing that to my clients.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

I agree - it’s a complete NIGHTMARE!

If you have just one store and one custome theme - what’s the benefit of all these changes? The fallback worked just fine in 1.3.
Now the whole teme had to be re-done to make it work with 1.4.

Ridiculous.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vasiliy Seleznev

Total Posts:  7

chinesedream - 28 February 2010 01:25 AM

The “accessibility improvements” is very vague (care to itemized it? ) and very disappointing. Even homepage in the demo site cannot get past the Accessibility Evaluation Tool, which is, the very entry level of accessibility evaluation.

Accessibility / SEO / Semantic it’s very flexible terms and there is no only one right way. All those things are interdependent and even sometimes violate each others.
Brief list of accessibility updates:
1) Added alt and title attributes to all buttons, form elements, images etc (excepting sample data for now, will be updated soon)
2) Replaced imaged buttons and links with the regular text and CSS
3) Complete structure of site headings starting h1
4) Fixed headings overloading at sidebar (removed h2-hn titles from sidebar blocks)
5) Moved main content column upper in the code (prior sidebar columns for any layout type (thus screen readers will see main site content instead of useless stuff from sidebar columns)
6) Semantic code:
a) Replaced tables at pager/toolbar with blocks / lists
b) Replaced tables at products list/grid with ol / ul lists
c) Replaced tables at sidebar block with none-tabled content
d) and so on..all elements are done with appropriate tags
7) Complete W3C HTML validation

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi,

That’s great - but why have the main, and the most important SEO features been neglected - like the URL rewriting of tags and reviews?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vasiliy Seleznev

lisali - 04 March 2010 03:16 AM

Hi,

That’s great - but why have the main, and the most important SEO features been neglected - like the URL rewriting of tags and reviews?
Thanks

You are absolutely right about this, URL rewriting and canonical URL’s will be implemented in near feature.
Plus extended sitemap and other SEO features. Soon you wouldn’t think about SEO improvements of Magento and search some extensions to improve it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Fantastic - many thanks for the quick reply and for taking this into consideration, Vasily. It’s so great to see team members back on the forum.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Vasiliy Seleznev

lisali - 04 March 2010 03:25 AM

Fantastic - many thanks for the quick reply and for taking this into consideration, Vasily. It’s so great to see team members back on the forum.

Thank you such questions.
And you know such problems are common for all open-source platforms - hundreds develop and millions criticize smile
And in fight for some other important and unique features you miss so clear and easy things.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Total Posts:  184
Los Angeles, CA

2 lisali:
Note that the canonical URL support was added in 1.4.0.0:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/download/release_notes#Release%20Notes%20-%20Magento%201.4.0.0%20stable%20(February%2012,%202010)
http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=5248

Starting from yesterday we began doing weekly updates to the http://svn.magentocommerce.com/source/branches/1.4-trunk
As well for the future releases the release notes will be composed more thoroughly, and will be updated on weekly basis with that build. See http://svn.magentocommerce.com/source/branches/1.4-trunk/RELEASE_NOTES.txt

2 ptjedi:
Need more details about the issue you reported. Check your private messages inbox.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

London, UK

Hi Anton,

Many thanks for your reply. However, the review URLs in 1.4.0.1 are still showing as:

review/product/list/id/1/

and tags are:
tag/product/list/tagId/33/

Have I overlooked some new setting in the admin?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptjedi

Total Posts:  250
Porto, Portugal

Anton, I would really like to send you the screenshots but the private message didn’t let me respond to yours.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

ptjedi, I have got the screenshots in PM, thanks. I’ll check that and post result in the original bugreport #21201

Magento Community
Magento Community

ladle

Total Posts:  173

I know this isn’t the place for feature requests, but I was told via a bug report that ‘dynamic tier pricing’ would be implemented in future releases.  VERY important feature to us and wondered if you could shed some light, if this will be in future 1.4 versions.

Namely looking for qty discounts using tier pricing on configurable products, when multiple options are selected.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Los Angeles, CA

ptjedi,

In your example you expect that the fallback hierarchy would be:
default / b -> default / a -> default / default -> base / default

But the fallback mechanism has nothing to do with scopes. Scope defines what value of configuration option will be on endpoint store view. I.e. you have “default / a” set per website, then it will apply to all its store views, unless one of the store view defines “default / a”. And fallback will not depend on it:
default / a -> default / default -> base / default (all store views for website except “Portuguese")
and
default / b -> default / default -> base / default (the “Portuguese")

Your solution is to create custom design package with your own default theme, containing required template changes and css-files, and a few themes per language:
ptjedi / default
ptjedi / english
ptjedi / portugese

Thus the fallback per each store view will be:
ptjedi / english -> ptjedi / default -> base / default
ptjedi / portugese -> ptjedi / default -> base / default

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 5