Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 5
Help in Changes from 1.3x to 1.4x. Template Changes. How has it changed? 

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

hi,

might seem like a silly question, but what are the changes to the template system from 1.3x to 1.4x

ive downloaded 1.4 and installed as a clean system. I can now see there is a base folder, and then a default and also some themes.

Can someone please point me to where there is documentation on how this change in the template structure work.?

Ive had a quick look at the release/changes section. But nothing that says. If you are running 1.3 with a custom theme, this is how you should migrate. There is nothing on the blog entry about how to tackle this. Besides a diff file and the changes list.

Any help/thoughts?

brendan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

David Oliver

Total Posts:  177
Cologne, Germany

From the release notes for 1.4 beta 1:

Changed way of design themes fallback. The file will be looked up at this priority:
- configured_package/configured_theme
- configured_package/configured_default_theme
- configured_package/`default`
- `base`/`default` - the final option, will cause error if file not found Provided ability to bypass file lookups

In the 1.4 RC, in practice I found that “missing” images didn’t seem to conform to this fallback scheme, but I need to test more in stable.

I understand that custom themes for 1.3 are not directly transferable to 1.4, but I can’t offer any advice other than to test it on a fresh 1.4 installation and to try and work out what the differences are as you come across problems.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

London, United Kingdom

thanks David,

Yeah that was my plan. I missed the details on how the themes fallback.

I wouldve like to have seen some more documentation about this change as it impacts a lot of people doing upgrades.

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Loic_LC

Total Posts:  194
Paris, France

I am currently completly rebulding my whole theme, on a fresh install locally.
It solves a lot of crashes & bugs.
It’s a long work, but well worth it.
Be sure to keep only modified files in your theme, to take advantage of the fallback function.
I can confirm the fall back doesn’t work for images.

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

London, United Kingdom

yeah the more i look at the forums, the more i see this is a big issue. From what I can gather the themes/template have changed quite a lot between 1.3x and 1.4x

So i might be better to start from scratch as you say and build from this

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gui
Guru

Total Posts:  588

So what would be the best way to start the update process? Would it be enough to compare files with Winmerge (or another program) or have the changes been too severe for even that? I hope Varien will be posting some more data on what actually changed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tomakun

Total Posts:  77

Yes if anyone could point us to a documentation on what we need to change to match 1.4 requirements in our themes, it would be much appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Total Posts:  184
Los Angeles, CA

Loïc - 18 February 2010 03:35 AM

An example into the studio please smile Or better a bugreport.

Gui - 20 February 2010 02:20 PM

So what would be the best way to start the update process? Would it be enough to compare files with Winmerge (or another program) or have the changes been too severe for even that? I hope Varien will be posting some more data on what actually changed.

Almost all template contents were changed: either full refactoring or just accessibility improvements. As well the difference between different themes was unified.

It is worth of starting from scratch (and it should be the easiest way). Just don’t copy the entire theme, as it used to be done before… Override only templates/layouts you need. Less code = less maintenance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tomakun

Total Posts:  77

Thanks for the reply Anton.
Can you explain what’s the new app/design/frontend/base folder for? And how to take advantage of the fallback feature?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Anton Makarenko
Magento Team

Total Posts:  184
Los Angeles, CA

Tomakun,
the base/default package is a “final” cross-package fallback option. If you are a 3rd-party extension developer, put in your theme files into base/default and it will guarantee its portability to any custom theme. And the fallback feature itself allows to use one file for many packages. For example, we had to maintain 4 community themes: all files were copy-pasted and there was a big deal to maintain them synchronized and bugless. Now we maintain 3 times less code. For example, the default/default and default/blank themes are implemented without templates and layouts, just clean css.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptjedi

Total Posts:  250
Porto, Portugal

If we are going to create a custom theme should we use ‘frontend/base/mytheme’ or ‘frontend/default/mytheme’ as main folder for the changed files?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Anton Makarenko - 22 February 2010 01:03 AM

If you are a 3rd-party extension developer, put in your theme files into base/default and it will guarantee its portability to any custom theme. .

Anton, if we put the theme files in base/default, will the files get removed like it did in previous version for default/default when Magento releases a new upgrade and upgrade is performed via Mangento Connect ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ptjedi

Total Posts:  250
Porto, Portugal

I must say the changes between 1.3 and 1.4 are very, very big. They range from simple CSS class rename to files out of place, files merged, template redesign, etc. For a fully customized theme the migration is a major endeavor. Those who’ve been working on a theme some months from now are probably pulling their hairs now because the conversion of the theme is a pure joke.

At the moment, my 1.3 theme runs well on the 1.4 installation, even though I didn’t upgraded the Default theme. I will keep things like this and face the consequences rather than wasting a full time month converting the theme.

One thing that really affects me is the image fallback regarding my theme variants. For some reason it falls back directly to the base/default while it should fallback to the default/main_theme first. Having a multi-department store, having sub-themes that rely on a main theme is essential to keep the number of files low.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Anton Makarenko - 22 February 2010 12:25 AM

Loïc - 18 February 2010 03:35 AM

An example into the studio please smile Or better a bugreport.

Gui - 20 February 2010 02:20 PM

Almost all template contents were changed: either full refactoring or just accessibility improvements.

The “accessibility improvements” is very vague (care to itemized it? ) and very disappointing. Even homepage in the demo site cannot get past the Accessibility Evaluation Tool, which is, the very entry level of accessibility evaluation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

I was just gonna start upgrading to 1.4 stable but the differences are SO huge, it’s gonna take a while.

It’s perplexing that there’s NO wiki, guide, screencast or any instructions on how to port your existing custom there to the new system.

I do not even know where to start.
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

nomi

Total Posts:  36

It’s perplexing that there’s NO wiki, guide, screencast or any instructions on how to port your existing custom there to the new system.

I do not even know where to start.

I feel the same way, super frustrated. I’ve been spending days hopping around trying to fix this and that, especially in the gigantic css file there is not. Needless to say, I’m very grumpy at this point.

I know you guys are all into your enterprise edition, but wouldn’t a little documentation help mitigate some of the support requests? That’s a good thing, right?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 5