Magento Forum

100K file limit with hosting companies

Simon Guest

Total Posts:  23

Hi everyone

I am not sure if this is the right area for the but here it is anyway.

I have discovered in the last month or so that my hosting company is now enforcing a 100K file limit on what is stored on the server.  Now this is different to the physical size limit that just happens to be 200GB.  Now what I have on their server is about 600MB but i was way over the 100,000 files that you were aloud to have.

So what I ended up doing was removing all of my backups of previous web sites and culling the session folder back to only having a days worth of cache.

But every other day I am getting locked out the admin and my customers can not purchase anything because the hosting company keeps restricting the account when it goes over the 100K limit.

My question is has anyone else encountered this before and what did they do to get around it

Thanks

Simon Guest
Ministry of Bass

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1839

You’ve just discovered that you have an inadequate hosting plan.

Shared hosting requires that resources be shared fairly between the websites hosted on the server. This is done by many means, limiting disk storage space, limiting database storage size (intensely hilarious things happen to Magento when it exceeds this), throttling cpu use, limiting number of inodes down to some arbitrary low limit, limiting file storage. Planning to use these type services with Magento is a plan to commit business suicide.

If this is a supposed VPS, they’re limiting the number of files because they’re attempting to run too many virtual machines on the same host.

In your plan, disk space is cheap, so they give you the moon but put an arbitrary limit on number of files. You can waste loads of time doing arbitrary stuff to live within arbitrary rules or you can vote with your dollars and leave. Ecommerce is too important to have your site crashing every time you turn around due to such jackassery as this.

You move to a hosting provider that understands Magento’s needs and provides the resources and optimization for it to run as well as disk space for your content.

Magento will run as fast as and as reliably as the resources you are willing to pay for. You don’t necessarily have to pay more, but you need to pay someone who cares.

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Guru

Total Posts:  737

chiefair, absolutely 100% agree. For reference hosting should be 0.5-1% of revenue as rule (depending on store complexity), anything under $100,000/yr revenue is basically pointless as Gross Profit will on average will be $25,000/yr, the real target is $250,000/yr and you need $100-200/mth hosting minimum. Very simple how it is all works.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community