Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
How do I upload one image to multiple products? 

cshontz

Total Posts:  91

I have 200 existing simple products that need their images updated. The products are near-duplicates, and all share the same image. How can I upload one image to multiple products as opposed to editing individually?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

envisionwebgroup

Total Posts:  37
Orlando, FL

I’m also interested in a solution to this problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Powers1

Total Posts:  26

Off the top of my head you could do the following. It’s based on a recent import I had to do for a new store:

1) Login to your Magento Admin
2) Make a backup of your database (under System > Tools > Backups)
3) Then, go to “System > Import/Export Profiles”
4) From here you can “Export all products” to a CSV
5) Download the CSV
6) Edit the CSV in Excel, filling the “thumbnail”, “image” and “small_image” columns with the appropriate filename(s). Since 1 image is being used for multiple products, you can just copy the filename from one cell, hold down shift to select the other cells to fill and then paste.
7) Save the CSV (of course, though using a different filename would be prudent)
8) Upload the the image file you want to update to the Magento /media/import/ directory
9) Run “Import all Products” using the edited CSV as the source
10) Clear the Images Cache in the admin under “System > Cache Management”

Volia! Images should be updated

Magento Community
Magento Community

len3121

Total Posts:  35

A slight variation on this question - Lets say i have Img.jpg and I upload it to 3 different products. On the server you will find Img.jpg, Img2.jpg and Img3.jpg (one instance of the image for each product). Is it possible to have just one instance of the Img.jpg associate to all 3 products without it being duplicated?

Magento Community
Magento Community

envisionwebgroup

Total Posts:  37
Orlando, FL

Thank you powers1, that is one possibility.

Magento Community
Magento Community

apollo9k

Total Posts:  18

Is there any other way?

I’ve created a gallery attribute that allows you to upload images from the General Product page. It also shows up when I choose to update the attributes of multiple products. However, when I save the updated attributes the image never uploads.

Magento Community
Magento Community

apollo9k

The problem with the mass export and import way is that it’s just not intuitive to client. there’s a lot of steps and I don’t think they’d be comfortable with such a large responsibility.

If only there was a way to upload one picture to multiple products at one time using the admin section.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ian M

Total Posts:  25

I’m also looking for a solution to this problem. I have many simple products that all share the same image.

If I upload the same image to each product Magento creates a new file each time with a sequential number on the end. Therefore if I have 100 simple products I then end up with 100 jpg images all the same but with different names (image_1, image_2, image_3 etc.) when infact I just want one image stored with Magento with 100 products referring to that image name.

If I want to change that image at some later time, I would have to change the image 100 times!

I’ve tried using the solution put forward by Powers1 but Magento keeps creating a new image file each time!

Any suggestion?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmlitch99

Total Posts:  4
Brunswick, ME

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?  The time to upload individual pictures to items that share the same image is a waste of time.  I tried the export/import method but it is not working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

apollo9k

I’ve found Magento to be a complete waste of time. I’ve moved on to better systems and I’d suggest others do the same.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Prattski

Total Posts:  54

apollo9k:  That’s unfortunate.  Sounds like you perhaps are far to quick to judge.  If Magento was a complete waste of time, why do so many people love it, and why is it growing so rapidly both in functionality and in usage?  I love it personally.

Regarding this topic, I have just ran into a client wanting to use the same image for multiple products, and in a lot of cases (spanning through thousands of products).  When it comes time to update an image, it is certainly not viable option to change it 50 times individually (and Magento stores that image 50 times on the server too), and it also isn’t a great option to have to export products, change up the CSV, upload the new images into the /media/import/ directory, and re-import them.

It sure would be great if there was some sort of way to, instead of uploading new images, to be able to select from any images that have already been uploaded, to use for products.  And, when it comes time to update an image which is shared by 50 products, you can quickly change it in one place and then it’s done.

I think I’ll either have to find a module that does this already, or build one… Anyone aware of a module for this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich1000

Trying to figure this out as well. Why can’t the import just accept the path/filename to one file to set for multiple products?
Aside from manually going in the database and doing this, seems very unusual to create all that overhead.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jjborja

Total Posts:  20

If you’re comfortable enough with creating and executing MySql scripts, you could create one to update multiple records. Make sure to run off a copy of the db just in case you jack things up.

See the Product Gallery section in the DB Diagram for specific relationships and info. Click Here for Diagram

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich1000

Yeah, I thought about just going into the db. But certainly just think this is one area that should be improved upon in magento.

Specifically:
a) If /import (or some nomenclature) before the name, it can look and import from the media/import directory. AND not rename if using the same file on multiple products.
b) If some other path, it’ll simply be linked to from that location (i.e. /images/store/products/ in the case where you have them in some other folder on your webserver)
OR
c) No slash to indicate in the default path to magento store images: (i.e. b/c/bcyu2898.jpg)

Doesn’t that make sense?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jjborja

Total Posts:  20

Absolutely Agree Rich Yessian. Needs improvement for sure, but until the Varien team addresses the issue fastest and most efficient way I can think of is upload an image in the /media/catalog/product section, write and then execute the script. Less than 15 minutes and you could update thousands if needed.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rousie

Total Posts:  58

+1

This REALLY needs to be addressed, as it’s a simple IRRITATING problem, especially as i’ve got thousands of products which all use the same images, it’s eating my space real fast.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2