Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Thanks magento for destroing my store! 

charobnjak

Total Posts:  20

Today i tried to install something in the magento download manager, and guess what…

It automaticaly updated it self????? why

Now i got a error, my template wont work. nothing works

Why doest it need TO UPDATE IT SELF!!!!!

WHY!!!!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

Nothing is perfect on the earth.

What kind of errors you see after the upgrade?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

While it is not nice to hear about your problem, my recommendation for the future is to always test any new extension installations or upgrades on a development copy of your site before making changes to a productions site. Also, always make backups before such operations, then you can easily restore your site to it’s original state.

Magento Community
Magento Community

charobnjak

Total Posts:  20

hi,

I have all ready installed that app, on my production site before 1.4 has been relesed.
So i thougt there was no need for me to test it again.

I have a backup and I was up and running in 15 minutes, but I was really angry with how were things done.
I dont understand why the upgrade cant be optional.

I like how my 1.3.2.4 store works.

Is there a way to disable the auto update?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

248creative

Total Posts:  1

Agreed. We’ve had expensive disasters due to the recent magento “upgrades” that have forced us to reappraise it’s suitability as a production cart package. We’re migrating all of our stores off the package. Open source or not, when you make software for business use, you can’t make careless mistakes like releasing updates that crush fully functional stores. We’ve never had to deal with so great a failure as 12 dead sites. Insane… confidence lost.

Magento Community
Magento Community

DCAlmeida

Total Posts:  164
PRT

248creative - 20 February 2010 01:53 PM

Agreed. We’ve had expensive disasters due to the recent magento “upgrades” that have forced us to reappraise it’s suitability as a production cart package. We’re migrating all of our stores off the package. Open source or not, when you make software for business use, you can’t make careless mistakes like releasing updates that crush fully functional stores. We’ve never had to deal with so great a failure as 12 dead sites. Insane… confidence lost.

Indeed!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rod_C

Total Posts:  33

248creative - 20 February 2010 01:53 PM

I think it might pay to have a good hard look at how you have Magento setup. With 30,000 merchants using it I think there would be more of an outcry then a few threads. (Which happens every upgrade)

I have had no problems upgrading. If you have lost 12 sites from upgrading logic should tell you to STOP UPGRADING!!!! and work out that the problem is before you try the other 11.

Any time there is a major update you need to test it first. If I was one of the 12 site owners that YOU upgraded I would have confidence lost in yourself. You clearly have know idea what you are doing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hellsmash

Total Posts:  3

I need to disable autoupdate, too.

Magento Community
Magento Community

got-bonsai

Total Posts:  136
Wales, UK

@Rod_C

You make some good points, but there are far more than “a few threads” about the disastrous 1.4 magento update, a few pages of threads maybe - many times more than about any other past update.
Did you see a quarter of this amount of threads about 1.3.2.4 update or any other update.  We’ve seen nothing like it in the past 18 months of Magento updates.

I know only the bad stories generally get posted, but you are the first person I’ve read saying they updated with no problems.

We’ve updated with very little problems for many many versions but for us the 1.4.0.0 and 1.4.0.1 was not possible.  We know our limits and have given up.
It’s not correct to suggest that there’s the same response at every update - 1.4.0.0 and 1.4.0.1 are a complete shambles and unless you have a specific need we’d advise anyone to stay well clear.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rod_C

got-bonsai - 26 February 2010 03:10 PM

@Rod_C

You make some good points, but there are far more than “a few threads” about the disastrous 1.4 magento update, a few pages of threads maybe - many times more than about any other past update.
Did you see a quarter of this amount of threads about 1.3.2.4 update or any other update.  We’ve seen nothing like it in the past 18 months of Magento updates.

Well I wonder why that is??? Lets look at the amount of problems fixed from version 1.1.5 to version 1.3.2.3 (12 versions) there was 1092 fixes TOTAL! That’s only an average of 91 fixes per version change.

Version 1.4.0.0 has a whopping 926 issues resolved. So i think if you want to compare how many threads there have been you should first add all of the threads from version 1.1.5 all the way through to version 1.3.2.3 and then compare.

Magento is one of the easiest e-commerce platforms to upgrade I have ever used. All of your mods should be in your template folders and all you need to do is copy the new files clean over top of the current ones & clear cache. And the site its self will update the database. If you have been editing Core files or have problems with extensions then I hardly think it fare to blame the software for that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

got-bonsai

Wales, UK

So are you saying that there has been “more of an outcry then a few threads” or there hasn’t? - because initially you said there wasn’t now you say there is.

Sounds like you could hsve a thriving business.  If it’s so easy for you and so difficult for everyone else, you could make a fortune, why not go on some of the “few threads” and offer your services and help people out of their situation instead of just telling them how easy it is.

OK - so I have fresh 1.4.0.1 files installed on my test server, a copy of my database from 1.3.2.4 and yet I get unending errors about tables already existing and tables not existing before I can even complete the magento install.  How do I easily fix that? NB: this is a fresh install with no edited core files and no extensions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rod_C

got-bonsai - 03 March 2010 04:40 AM

So are you saying that there has been “more of an outcry then a few threads” or there hasn’t? - because initially you said there wasn’t now you say there is.

Can you please point out to me where I apparently have said that??? I was replying to your comment as to why there would be more people with upgrade issues. These forums are for people having problems, no one posts there success stories. How many people have been desperately waiting this release and have not come back on here and told you how easy it was. There is 93 topics in the “Magento 1.4.0 Upgrade Issues” With the majority of them being duplicate posts because people don’t search.

got-bonsai - 03 March 2010 04:40 AM

OK - so I have fresh 1.4.0.1 files installed on my test server, a copy of my database from 1.3.2.4 and yet I get unending errors about tables already existing and tables not existing before I can even complete the magento install.  How do I easily fix that? NB: this is a fresh install with no edited core files and no extensions.

From the way you have worded that, it sounds like you have not looked at the Wiki or any other documentation on how to correctly upgrade. You should not have to “Install” a new copy of Magento at all. Once again like I have already stated. Get a working copy of your site on your development server (This should be your current version, this should be an exact duplicate copy of your live site). Next backup your local.xml file and your 2 template folders in both app & skin. Delete all folders in the “var” directory and copy everything from the magento-1.4.0.1.zip archive in to the base directory replacing all older files. Now replace the local.xml file and try to access your site. Your database will be automatically updated.

I don’t know where you have got the idea you need to run the install process again.?? Can you please post a link to the documentation you are following to do your upgrade?

Magento Community
Magento Community

got-bonsai

Wales, UK

Rod_C - 03 March 2010 11:02 PM

Can you please point out to me where I apparently have said that???

@Rod_C
Originally you said this “I think there would be more of an outcry then a few threads.”

I replied saying that there WERE more than “a few threads”

You replied and agreed, saying “Well I wonder why that is??? Lets look at the amount of problems fixed from version 1.1.5 to version 1.3.2.3 (12 versions) there was 1092 fixes TOTAL! That’s only an average of 91 fixes per version change.”

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rod_C

I think you should go back and read the post I was making comment of in the first place. The comment from 248creative who is making out that the 1.4.0.0 update is rubbish and just destroys your site. If this is the case ... and at the time of righting there around 90 threads on the “Magento 1.4.0 Upgrade Issues” then logic should tell us that only around 90 people have tryed to upgrade in the entire world?????? I don’t think so.

There would have been thousands of people that have upgraded now (like my self) who have had no issues. But if 248creative’s comments are true every one of those 1000’s of people should be back here complaining. But no there’s only 90. Its because you don’t see the other side of the equation (the successful upgrades) do you presume that the majority of people are having problems.

There are always going to be people that have problems no one is denying that. But to say that Magento 1.4 is a disaster because YOU have a problem with it is just stupid.

It just makes me sick to see the hard work the Core team put in to this and people that don’t know what they are doing can get on here (A forum provided for support) and just bitch constantly about how they broke there own site and try to pin the blame on the software. FFS if 248creative is such a moron to try and upgrade his site’s with out testing it on a dev server first he deserves to have them go down. You can’t tell me that some one that does that has any right to make statements about the reliability of the software he’s using.

Now how about that link to the page you where following showing how to upgrade your site by running the install process again???? Or is this another case of try it how ever you like and if it don’t work then we will just blame the software ???

Magento Community
Magento Community

got-bonsai

Wales, UK

Rod_C - 04 March 2010 03:45 AM

Its because you don’t see the other side of the equation (the successful upgrades) do you presume that the majority of people are having problems.

@Rod_C

As I said in my first comment to you: “I know only the bad stories generally get posted, but you are the first person I’ve read saying they updated with no problems”

I am not saying that 1.4 is a disaster because I alone had a problem.  1 of those 90 threads had 23 pages in about 2 days - show me another thread about an update as active as that.

Just chill out man, we’ve tried the update the recommended way - it didn’t work. - Maybe it did for you but it didn’t for many others.  Thats probably because we are all incompetent and unable to perform the update.

Here is the link to the thread you ask for: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/79499/

We’ve tried to update using every possible method we have read, official and not - none of them have worked and our store is only very lightly customised.  We’ve attempted updating with no extensions installed and no local file edits - nothing has worked.

If you want to upgrade it for me, I’ll happily give you the ftp details for my test server and you can work away.  I’ll happily pay for a successful update.
Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dsampaolo

Total Posts:  1

Worked fine for me. Thanks for the advice.
I had to re-index all my categories for the products to show again on the frontend.

Many thanks again! wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2